The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Wicked, raised to the power ^3!!!

Old Zorki II likes this.
  2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I like Orgin Live tables and tonearms....which is that, looks like the Illustrious...Encounter or Couqueor?

3. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Encounter Mk3C. Got in pretty cheap (the only used part of setup). Nice arm, but difficult to setup. Once you set it you do not want to touch it.

Slippers-on likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Recently moved from a MA-505 MKII to MKIII tonearm on my Micro Seiki BL-91, mainly just because I like straight tonearms better and wanted to move to a lower mass design to fit better with some of the higher compliance LOMC carts I've been using lately, but is also came with the massive AST-08 tonearm stabilizer, and damping trough/paddle, along with the removable arm wand.

Also took the opportunity to update the DIN cable I was using to the Zavfino 1877 Spirit MKII OFHC Silver Tonearm Cable, all sounds really nice so far ...

Fresh arrival from Japan ...
    [​IMG]

Out with the old MKII tonearm, which wil soon be finding a home on my Micro Seiki DD-40 ...
    [​IMG]

Trial fit of the new arm with stabilizer nut and Zavfino DIN cable ...
    [​IMG]

The bronze nut is pretty massive ...
    [​IMG]

Trial fit on table, damping trough in foreground not yet installed ...
    [​IMG]

Continued below ...

5. Davey

The headshell is attached to the thin aluminum tonearm tube with fairly tight fit and a couple screws on bottom, but I also epoxied it and trued it up with jig so it's exactly parallel to record surface ...
    [​IMG]

All in place and spinning some records ...
    [​IMG]

I have an extra arm tube that I may modify with an alumina-ceramic tube for higher mass and strength ...
    [​IMG]

6. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

7. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

box of frogs likes this.
  8. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

I take it you've removed the centre of the Ikea table for access from below ... ?

9. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Yes, cut mercilessly with a jigsaw. Some might say £6 down the drain but once I fit clamps I reckon I'll be well in pocket!

10. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

I've got one waiting for me to do the same. I take it the centre section isn't totally hollow, and that there's sufficient internal bracing to take the weight of the Sondek without reinforcement?

11. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

It's only like a cardboard waffle, it trims out easily. The tough stuff is the top and bottom surface but a jigsaw goes through it like a hot knife through butter.

Edited to add: I missed the real point of your question. It is plenty rigid enough, even when 'holed' to hold a Sondek.

12. Davey

And now with the damper paddle in place and adjusted, and some fresh 50,000 CST silicone oil in the trough, sounding really good, will take some measurements later ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Listening to the great Jacaszek Music for Film from earlier this year, really beautiful record, easily one of my top favorites of the year even if not a perfect pressing, some very nice bass too ... Jacaszek - KWIATY (2017 experimental/ambient/classical/electronica/jazz)

13. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Very nice, lookin good!

Echoes Myron, Phil Thien and Davey like this.
  14. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Some late night shots :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I finally got around to signing up for a Flickr account (aside: what a PITA, just trying to get a basic account).

This is what I call my Franken-VPI. The plinth is the only thing left from a TNT Jr/2/3 (I'm not really sure, as it just says "TNT" on the VPI label on the back) that I bought used in 2008. The Classic platter, Stillpoints LPI, and Terra Stone footers are the only components I bought new. Everything else--Signature motor, periphery ring, Fatboy 12 gimbal, VTA tower, Symposium Ultra platform--was purchased used. You can't really see it in the photo, but the armboard is basically Swiss cheese; over the years it's been used to mount the following arms: ET-2 (two, at different times), Hadcock 228, Hadcock 242, Trans-Fi Terminator, VPI 10.5i, VPI 3D. The Fatboy is a keeper, no matter how much I still think about trying something else. I've had speed control stuff in the past, a VPI SDS and Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, but currently don't see the need as this setup is surprisingly stable.

JohnK

[​IMG]

16. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

[​IMG]

well, I don't drink Scotch, so I just had to go with a great Cabernet.

17. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Of course living in wine country..:edthumbs:

18. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski Forum Resident

Thorens TD124 mk2
    Fidelity Research FR64s
    Arche headshell
    Audio Note Io gold cart
    Puresound Tenuto platter

I replaced the motor rubber mounts with the Hanze springs and put new sintered bronze bushes in the motor.

[​IMG]IMG_0107 by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

Jaxjax67, jusbe, Waxxy and 49 others like this.
  19. Davey

Very nice! That's the headshell that allows all the adjustments right there, azimuth, overhang, offset, and even SRA, right? One stop shop.

20. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

That's awesome. How do you like the Puresound metal mat?

21. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

[​IMG]
    Well it's not esoteric in any way, but a big upgrade from what I had and I love it! Rega P2. Stock cartridge for now, will upgrade soon enough!

22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Looking really slick. Love it. And yeah get you some new cart!

Noel Patterson likes this.
  23. eyewanders

eyewanders Forum Resident

Pretty modest amongst most of this thread's photo posts. But they make me happy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Awesome setup - glad to hear your thoughts on speed control - I'm happy with my Classic not having anything and I have a Technics as a solid reference. I can't hear any imperfections.

25. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Newest addition for change of sound, and fun..SL-1500C[​IMG]