The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

Newest build. solid padauk sides and figured cherry top, Jelco TK850L, modified Merrill subchassis and platers with periphery camp and New Sumiko Songbird cartridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jaxjax67, hifisoup, Archguy and 44 others like this.
  2. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Very nice!!! I'm a big fan of figured hardwoods and contrasting tones. When I made my own DIY phono stage, I used figured cherry for the sides and birdseye maple for the top. This photo was taken right right after applying the final coat. The final finish isn't quite that shiny. It's a semi-gloss finish and once it had dried, I buffed it out and applied some Renaissance micro-crystalline paste wax.

[​IMG]

3. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

It is really a shame that didnt come out nicer. If you want to start over, you can send it here (I'll even pay shipping) and give it another shot.

wavethatflag, Waxxy, bever70 and 3 others like this.
  4. Waxxy

Waxxy Cold Turkey

Yup...that's the main reason I bought another Kenwood KD-990. It was my first TT in the 90's and I sold it when I bought a VPI in the 2000's. I certainly didn't need it, but when a 990 came up for sale locally, I couldn't resist. Nostalgia.

5. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I would choose that Kenwood over VPI anytime.
    Why did you downgrade back in the 2000’s?

bever70 likes this.
  6. Waxxy

Waxxy Cold Turkey

Opinions are like ( )….everybody has one. I have had a VPI and a Kenwood side by side. Neither one is inferior in any obvious way to the other.

The reason I purchased the VPI in the early 2000's was because I spent a decade reading magazines and online forums telling me that my mass market direct drive was certainly inferior to ANY belt drive. People had opinions back then too! I quickly discovered that this concept was patently false but I'd already spent the money. Then the Kenwood started to develop problems spinning up to speed. I sold the Kenwood as-is and have lived happily with VPI decks and arms ever since. Buying the 990 again was all about nostalgia and nothing to do with fidelity.

[​IMG]

7. Phil Thien

No we said IDLER drive. Rid yourself of all that garbage (I can help!) and get yourself an IDLER.

Signed,
    ()

bever70 and Waxxy like this.
  8. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

Another modified AR table, solid Oak plinth, modified subchassis to accept a new Sumiko MMT with a Denon DL110. Merrill plater and moded inner plater, heavier Linn springs and Hurst motor.

[​IMG]

9. fish

fish Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Not Stock RP3. Incognito Tone Arm Rewire and Groovetracer Ref sub-platter.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  10. Mo-Tech

Mo-Tech Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Technics SL-1200G paired with Van den Hul Colibri. Gets lots of use every day.

(Sorry no color pic due to my digital cam batteries were empty as always since I don't use much digital these days. Shot on a 5x7" format monochrome film camera that always works)

Jaxjax67, Archguy, mackat and 33 others like this.
  11. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

That filament bulb really adds a nice touch.

12. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Thanks ! In the meantime I have changed it for another light alltogether as I found it a bit too bright. I now have a warm led light that can be dimmed.

Aftermath likes this.
  13. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Wow that looks nice, how do you digitalize the monochrome film?

Mo-Tech likes this.
  14. Mo-Tech

Mo-Tech Forum Resident

Using a drum scanner to scan. This is a non-CCD non-CMOS device, very unlike any common scanner. Drum scanner uses Photo Multiplier Tubes (PMTs) as sensor (3 tubes per RGB channel) and scans single pixel-by-pixel all the film area, probably the most "analog-like" digitizing out there :)

15. Phil Thien

This seems especially appropriate as I often equate vinyl to film.

Mo-Tech and 33na3rd like this.
  16. Phil Thien

Come on you slackers, post your pics.

Here is my latest updated tonearm wand on my DIY model...

[​IMG]

17. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

Nice light and good for creating a visual atmosphere!
    However, no LED, especially no dimmers make it anywhere near my (power supply for) my audio system.

18. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

Here's one you don't see everyday - Reference 620T by Quadraflex. This brand was sold by Pacific Stereo from 1978 - 1982 and from what I've been able to determine it is a rebadged CEC DD-8200 of Japanese manufacture. Vinyl engine link here. This is heavy beast - it weighs about 22 lbs. It plays well, holds the correct speed and everything works on it. It has thick rubber mat which I am guessing is factory. I have a Nag MP110 cart on it running into a Schitt Mani phono stage.

First photo is when I first brought it home (2015) - it had a Micro-Acoustics 282E cart on it. It had been stored away in a basement for several decades before the previous owner put it on Craigslist. I never tried using the MA cart since I had no idea what kind of shape it was in. I still have it though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. wallabeing

wallabeing Forum Resident

Off thread topic, but what kind of drum scanner do you use? I have a Howtek 4500.

20. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

21. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Just had to share this screencap of my VPI HW-19 Mk3 that was featured on the manufacturer's Facebook page:

[​IMG]

The correct answer? The HW-19, because it's the HW-19.

Here's a higher resolution photo of the original image:

[​IMG]

22. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Here's my VPI HW-19 MK IV which I purchased new in 1997. I originally ordered it with an SME 309 arm but when the JMW tonearm became available I switched to it. The JMW was better in every way, except ease of set-up!

It's been in storage since 2012 or so but seeing a few others with HW-19s makes me think about dragging it back out sometime. maybe....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  23. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

My Plain Jane Fluance RT80 spinning some Jimi through my modified Fisher 440T.

[​IMG]

24. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I used to really enjoy the heavy platter turntables so when the chance to get my hands on another one, I jumped at the chance.

Here is my new Acoustic Solid Wood turntable with RB303 tonearm, which is sporting a Hana SL. This thing is so well engineered, heavy (40kg ish possibly) and notably easy to work on. It is deathly quiet, speed is very stable and the sound? Ooh, great!
    Plans for this? There isn't much I can do really but the RB is not an arm that allows the rest of the setup to present at the top of its game. I have two choices; fit my Morch UP4 unipivot but I'd need an arm collar manufactured, or buy another Rega geometry arm - Audiomods, Michell, Roksan perhaps?

In any case, a couple o' bad pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member