The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Your cartridge collection is impressive. I plan to try an SPU on my restored SP-10 once I get an arm- likely a 3012r. I can always reach out to Kumza, or his US distributor here, Scot Markwell, who has been very good to me over the years. Living the life. You only go around once (I hope). :)
    PS- the Dynavector 507 is such a cool arm, rarely seen.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. Nascimento Brasil

Nascimento Brasil Forum Resident

Thank you, kindness on your part!

If you like analytical sound, SPU is not for you!

I am also starting to restore an SP10 MK3, I already bought the MN 6042, now I need to buy the capacitors and print a copy of the maintenance manual!
    What is the model of your SP10?

Technics SP10 - Manual - Professional Direct-Drive Turntable Motor Unit - Vinyl Engine

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I really, really, really need to unwatch this thread!
    Just wow!!!
    :wtf:

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I have one of the first, so it's not desirable, but I bought it new when it came out circa 1973?. I had it restored by Bill Thalmann who does the Krebs mod to the turntable. You might want to reach out to Albert Porter, who operates Porterhouse Audio in Dallas. Albert was a driving force behind the revival of the SP-10, did all kinds of experiments and mods, eventually developed a Panzerholz plinth with all kinds of neat tricks including additional support for the bearing. Albert had one of the elaborate Walker tables and got rid of it. I think he's had more SP-10s than any person I know, though he doesn't actually sell (or resell) the turntable. He's a very nice guy, so if you write to him, please mention my name.

5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The SP10 Mk 3 is a wonderful machine - I had it in the SH10B3 base with a Breuer arm and cartridge.

6. Nascimento Brasil

Hello Bill,
    Please excuse me the delay in response, thank you for your alert, I would very much like to send my power supply, for maintenance in USA, but due to paperwork and customs fees, it is not possible!
    Before starting maintenance, I will need to import the capacitors, if anyone knows the quantities and values, thank you in advance!

7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Call Albert, and he may have you speak to either Krebs (who is in Australia) or Bill Thalmann, who is in Virginia. I haven't researched whether any of the manuals are online, but suspect among those three people, you've got considerable know-how on later SP-10s. Albert and Bill know me, Krebs doesn't.
    PS: on reflection, the best way to introduce yourself is send an email to Albert via Porterhouse Audio in Dallas, TX. Tell him you know me and I recommended that you reach out to him- that you are trying to refurbish/upgrade your table and need some advice, given the cost of customs, shipping, etc. Albert should be able to help. (Pronounced 'hep' in these parts). :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  8. Nascimento Brasil

Once again I thank you very much for your kindness and goodwill! :righton:
    I'll do as suggested!

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Latest acquisition: Fairchild 412 with a Gray 212 tonearm. I'm completely in love with it. Sounds amazing. It's a one speed, "Basic Model" version, with a motor date of Sept. 1957. After a little refreshing, tonearm rewire, etc., it's completely quiet, and delivers a huge sound that I assumed one could only achieve with an idler. I've never heard a belt drive deliver music with such authority.

[​IMG]

10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Making the definition of "old school" real.
    cool.

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  11. Nascimento Brasil

Beautiful turntable, can you tell if the plinth is original?

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I believe it is. I've seen pictures of other 412's of similar vintage with the same plinth.

13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  14. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Beautiful just about covers it....what can you tell us about the arm? And what cartridge are you using on this baby? (Since this is a pic-focused thread, maybe we need a new one to discuss specifics but...)

15. Nascimento Brasil

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The arm is a Gray 212. Came after the more famous 108, 206 arms. It's overbuilt, but fairly simple in how to use. Has a pivoting head that is controlled by a knurled knob under the arm which sets tracking force. It was cleaned out and rewired so it works pretty flawlessly now. You don't see many of them around, which I suppose is why I decided to keep it rather then swapping it for something else. I'm presently using a Stanton 500 on it, with an original 5003 .4 elliptical stylus that can track up to 5g. I have it just over 4.

patrickd likes this.
  17. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I'll post over at the cartridges thread. While looking at all your turntables is fun (and I posted a picture of mine years ago) what I really want is to try a different cartridge someday... In 33 years all I've used are Sumiko Blue Point and Blackbird.

Nascimento Brasil and PhilBiker like this.
  18. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

VPI Classic 4 in rosewood with 3D printed 12" arm is in the house! Set it up last week and have been making fine adjustments since. I think I have it set up very well right now, it sounds great! I upgraded from a VPI Scout 1.1 w/an Ortofon 2M Black to the Classic 4 w/a Soundsmith Paua MKII and the periphery ring (not in pics). HUGE difference! The first thing I noticed was that lp surface noise has been reduced to barely audible, very black background. The sound stage and channel separation have grown larger. Very dynamic but warmer sounding, if that makes sense....... I'm so happy I made this jump to a much higher level tt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. FrostEOne

FrostEOne Likes it cold!

New Pioneer PLX-1000 and Yamaha YP800 purchased new in 1975
    [​IMG]

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Jeez...that’s beautiful. Love the Classics.

PhilBiker, alan967tiger and Chazz like this.
  21. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

22. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

23. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

This is my Micro Seiki DD-40 showing the external power supply I made to get all the AC power out of the chassis. With the cover off, you can see the transformer and circuit board have been relocated to the box, and I added a little 5V DC supply from an old cellphone charger that is routed through the power button on the turntable to control the turn on of the power supply via a solid state relay. Power to the neon strobe bulbs is also switched, only gets turned on to check the speed. There's a few other mods, but that's the main one. Really nice table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Davey, you bring a tear of joy to my eye every time you post your gear and there is a Broadcast LP in the shot.

25. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Haha, it does seem like Broadcast shows up in a lot of my pictures, but I guess it's not by coincidence, I do listen to those albums an awful lot, and when I do they stay on the table for awhile. Kind of addicting, but I guess you know that feeling :)

xilef regnu likes this.