The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

It looks more "normal" with the platter ring removed. I could live with the overhang during the playing of music, assuming that the ring improves performance.

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

The platter doesn't overhang the plinth. I'm using the optional Outer Limit ring, which is generally intended for the Innovation series of their turntables, but compatible with my Ovation as well (it cannot be used with the Performance DC, the next step down). I think it it looks cool anyway, and it improves performance noticeably. The arm hangs over the back of the plinth too, but who cares, it sounds fantastic.

Without the ring, The platter is fully contained within the edges of the plinth, as you can see from this older picture.

[​IMG]

Archguy, Manimal, BigGame and 12 others like this.
  3. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

That looks really nice with the GT mods.

Manimal and thxphotog like this.
  4. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I think it looks great either way. With the ring it gives it a modern flare, which looks very cool!

5. Josquin des Prez

I guess I missed out on the fact that Rega did an anniversary table. Is that roughly equivalent to a RP3, or not?
    Looks really nice in any case.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Yes. Based on the RP3 but 'hot-rodded' with custom Elys 40 cart (which I replaced) and the outboard PSU. Maybe the stainless counter-weight? Anyway, with the Exact 2 and the GT upgrades, I'm really happy with this thing. Crazy happy.

Memphisflash and alan967tiger like this.
  7. Josquin des Prez

I've had Rega TTs in the past. They can sound great and are pretty big bang for the buck.

thxphotog likes this.
  8. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Ah, I see, didn't know about outer rings, stupid me :rolleyes:.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  9. Josquin des Prez

They aren't all that common, and generally very expensive since they are machined from a solid block of aluminum and require very close tolerances. You'll see them on the mid- to upper-range of VPI and Clearaudio turntables, as well as other non-suspended turntables. You won't see them on lower end TTs because using one requires a higher torque motor and a bearing that can support the extra weight (1500 gr + 850 gr for the clamp in my case).

displayname and bever70 like this.
  10. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Clearaudio Solution since 2001-2. Picture courtesy of Clearaudio. Mine has no wood in the base, a Rega tonearm, Hana SH cartridge, and custom wire for the interconnect and power cable. My turntable sits on a large piece of red sandstone, with sandstone sitting on top of two small bicycle innertubes. The sandstone/innertube isolation works well, has a total cost of $10, and the sandstone looks cool.

[​IMG]

Funky54, Manimal, BigGame and 8 others like this.
  11. Josquin des Prez

Real picture or it didn't happen. :D

12. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

You are using the Art7. How do you find this cart, in comparison with others (e.g. Art 9, AT33, etc)? Isn't it very low output?

13. markp

If I knew an easy way to take a picture, and post it online, on a service that does not give my info away free to anyone who asks, I would show my turntable ;)

14. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

15. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

after you upload picture copy the url that has jpeg at the end and post here with the picture icon

16. markp

Here is the real deal:
    [​IMG]

Manimal, BigGame, drum_cas and 19 others like this.
  17. Josquin des Prez

Nice. Old or new, Clearaudio makes awesome tables. Mine is 10 years newer than yours but I have no doubt both will still be around in 10 years, performing like champs.

18. Echoes Myron

It's basically an RP6 now.

thxphotog likes this.
  19. markp

After I started making enough spare money to pursue the audiophile bug, it took about 5-6 years to get to a system that I have stuck with since 2002. There were a couple of Rega turntables prior to the Clearaudio, 1 amp and 2 pre-amps before settling on the VAC components I have now, and 1 set of speakers before I settled on a pair of Triangle Lyrr's. Of course, there are better systems, but I am very happy with the system I have, and have only had to periodically replace the phone cartridge, and some tube replacement and tune-up on the VAC components. That has left most of my spare change available for record hunting, which has been a passion since I was 13.

20. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

That's what matters!! I'm getting there.

21. Josquin des Prez

The system I have now I started building 6 years ago (replacing a system I had for a long time). I also had a couple of Regas before I got the Ovation I have now. I had a "CB" Naim system in the 80s/90s...and returned to Naim for my new system when I started over again. I now have everything sounding the way I want it.

My cartridge is just starting to get a little bit long in the tooth, but it has plenty of life yet. However, I am going to start setting money aside and hope to upgrade it later in 2019. Otherwise, I am standing pat with the components I have now.

Johnny Vinyl and Morbius like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

I am pretty good for now too :)

Morbius likes this.
  23. jackelsson

jackelsson Forum Resident

Been following this forum for quite a while but this is my first post. So let me show my analogue rig as an introduction:

TW-Acustic Black Night w/ DIY air suspension base |
    SME 312s w/ van den Hul Colibri Signature | TW-Acustic 10.5 w/ Benz LP-S (MR) | Origin Live Enterprise C 12“ w/ Ortofon MC Anna | TW-Acustic 10.5 w/ Lyra Atlas |
    in the drawer: Lyra Titan i | Ortofon MC 7500

[​IMG]

24. Josquin des Prez

Nice!!!

Can you tell me what you like about the Benz Micro LP-S. I plan to upgrade the cartridge for my Clearaudio Ovation/Universal this coming year. I'm thinking about the Clearaudio Stradivari (I have a Concerto now) or the Benz Micro Gullwing SLR. I know that the Gullwing is a bit of a step down from the LP-S but some of it is based on that better cartridge.

Mr.Sign and Nascimento Brasil like this.