The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. canstoog

canstoog Well-Known Member

Nice table, very beautiful

Manimal, BluTom, alan967tiger and 2 others like this.
  2. canstoog

Epic, one of the better tables on the market currently.

3. canstoog

What cart and arm are you using?

4. canstoog

What arm are you using?

5. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

6. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I'm sure that's a Nottingham arm. Looks like a 12" incher, but I'm not sure if it's an Innerspace, Anna space or Ace Anna.

Gotta love NA's names!

PATB likes this.
  7. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

I love this one so much...just a no fuss, mesmerizing sound.
    Right now, spinning "No Filter" by Jerome Sabbagh (not the record in this picture right now though) on the EAR Discmaster Turntable through a Denon DL103D, Kuzma 4 Point, Denon AU-320 step up, EAR 88PB phono into the EAR 912 Preamp...HEAVEN!!! :love:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5623/30034321471_9c869f449e_k.jpg[​IMG]

8. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

It's a Nottingham Ace-Space Tonearm 10".

9. sfoclt

sfoclt Forum Resident

Zu 103r retipped with micro ridge stylus, sapphire/boron cantilever, into Thomas Mayer silver SUT.

[​IMG]

10. gov

gov Forum Resident

gorgeous table right there. That's amongst the first Garrard's I've seen that was aesthetically pleasing in a smaller plinth. I usually feel like they need those monster plinths to look as good as the TD124 does with a 9inch arm but that right there is all class! Bet it sounds sublime too...Schick arm is on the possibilities list when/if I move to a 12 inch arm on my table.

Great photo too...

11. sfoclt

sfoclt Forum Resident

Thanks. I used to have a large dual tonearm plinth but like this smaller footprint.

12. james

james Summon The Queen

I agree. That looks like the total package. Nice table @sfoclt

sfoclt likes this.
  13. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Beautiful, lovely table! I currently have the stock Zu cart and really like it. Who did the retip and how do you compare it to the stock Zu?

sfoclt likes this.
  14. sfoclt

sfoclt Forum Resident

The retip was by Andy Kim, and I like it. I’d mostly filed the 103R away in a drawer. When I listened to it I liked it but I’d always end up back with my SPU 90th Anniversary as a daily driver. That SPU has better bass, imaging, soundstage depth, resolution. The retipped 103R is a meaningful improvement from stock, competing in all those areas now except possibly soundstage depth. Certainly lots more resolution and a more overall hifi sound (in a good way). Andy does the work in a few days, versus months elsewhere, so recommended for good service as well.

Phono Cartridge Repair

33na3rd and JMAC like this.
  15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Really beautiful table!

Andy Saunders and zeitlos like this.
  16. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Now that my beloved Sony Biotracer has bit the dust, I'm auditioning a few entry level-priced turntables for the living room. Since my kids came along I've viewed common room audio as a series of compromises (size, ease of use, no super hot big glowing things, how much hair I'll lose if it gets damaged, etc.), so my list of things I'm looking for in a turntable these days might be different from others...

So this last week it's been:
    [​IMG]
    Technics SL-1200mkii in close to mint condition...

vs.
    [​IMG]
    Stock (non-modded) Lenco L78, with updated v-blocks. I've gone through the motor and tonearm and made sure everything's operating like it was when it came out of the box new.

I wouldn't call it a shootout -- changing cartridges is too much of a pain on Lenco's proprietary head shell mount. The Lenco has been running an Ortofon OM30 and the Technics has been running a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC ☆. I've fitted a Shure M44-7 (with JICO Mars stylus) to both of them, too, just to try to do a more 1:1 comparison. But the Lenco doesn't really have VTA adjustment, and the M44 is a little tall for the Lenco so the bass was heavy and wooly.

All that to say: After owning (and modding) a few Lencos and a Garrard 401 in the past before going all direct drive for the past few years, I may be falling back in love with idler drives!

Archguy, BigGame, RONENRAY and 8 others like this.
  17. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Nice!
    Just my 2 cents, but in a common area with kids, the 1200's rep for 'taking a licking and keeps on ticking' plus the ability to remove the headshell thus safely storing away your cart(s), the 1200 would seem like the better choice?
    Best of luck with your hunt!

Manimal, PhilBiker and JMAC like this.
  18. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

That’s definitely one of the reasons that it’s in the hunt! I also like how the abundance of aftermarket parts makes them easy to tinker with and repair, compared to pretty much any other DD table. I think it’s hard to do better than a 1200 in the ~$500 category.

Is it just my ears, or does the 1200 have a sort of passionless sound, though? At least in stock form.

Aftermath likes this.
  19. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

That really is very pretty. :agree:

Manimal and zeitlos like this.
  20. Slick Willie

Interesting comment, I've seen others state that as well when speaking of DD's in general.
    I guess it depends on what your def of passion is, do you mean a romantic presentation?
    For me the" passion" comes from precision and dynamics.
    Also I would think the OM40 a better fit for the 1200?
    Different strokes though...ya' gotta' go with what excites you!

PhilBiker likes this.
  21. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Interesting--why is the OM40 a better fit? I'm open to experimenting with pairing the right cartridge.

I think 'romantic' is pejorative in audio land, but that's not what I mean. If I had to contrast the 1200 with other turntables, I'd say it comes across as a bit thin, but with a bass bump around 100hz, and lower dynamic contrasts than some other turntables.

22. Slick Willie

Cool, perhaps the 1200 is not for you?
    I said OM40 because I like the FG cut on the Ortofons. Although they can also have a leaner/quicker low end.....so maybe not the one to rec for you.

23. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Maybe, maybe not. No turntable is perfect. It all comes down to trade-offs: quirks you can live with because you like what it does well, and the deal breakers that get in the way of you and the music. And everyone hears those things differently.

24. Slick Willie

True, all tables have compromises to fit price points. I only commented because I thought the 1200 was a better situational fit for you.
    If the presentation doesn't work for you then it doesn't.

25. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Just installed a denon dl-110 on the jvc:

[​IMG]

Archguy, Manimal, LH5 and 11 others like this.