The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jvalvano, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

As other's have said, beautiful table -- especially with the 3009 in place.

That seems like a great deal for the SME tonearm, cartridge, and armboard.

I've read up and researched for my Garrard 301 project, but don't know much about the 124. What sort of plinths do people think are best? How hard is it to rebuild the motor?

2. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident

You probably have seen these but I wanted make sure. http://www.theanalogdept.com/garrard_gallery.htm, http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/garrard/301.html

I think the garrard motor is a bit more complicated than the 124.

The guy I got the tonearm from had was getting his fully refurbished 124 from Octave (http://www.octaveaudio-usa.com/index.php), Here is a shot of some of Octave's work.

Attached Files:

3. Max Bialystock

Max Bialystock New Member

The PL-12D was in the lineup when U.S. Pioneer hired me, in January 1975. It probably still works. I'd love to see a photo.

4. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

D'ya mean this thing?

It's cool to see my uninformed budget purchase get some love around here. I've only had poor turntables previously so I dunno how it compares to mid-priced models today, but the best-sounding records played on my PL-12D really blow me away. I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually but I'm in no rush.

Attached Files:

5. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Sweet refurb!

Yes, thanks, I've seen those links and dozens upon dozens more. I've posted a fair amount over at Audio Asylum to get help in my restoration. Here is perhaps my favorite link, which has its own set of links:

http://home.earthlink.net/~transcrubbers/index.html

It seems like the lower part of the Garrard motor is very hard to access and clean out, but the upper part isn't too bad.

6. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Here are some pictures of my Garrard 301, awaiting its plinth.

I oiled and greased the linkages underneath. I took apart the platter-spindle assembly (pretty simple) and re-oiled it with automotive oil. I built the wooden temporary plinth you see.

The biggest pain is that the 60-hz American pulley I got ran too fast. Not clear that anyone actually sells a pulley that will work on American 120 Volts, 60 hzs, so I spent a few hours slowly sanding down the pulley so it would work properly.
    Now, on the KAB speedstrobe, it is super-steady right at 33, 45 or 78.

It makes very little noise, but if no music is playing I can hear it and there is a very, very faint oscilating in the sound, so I think I am going to take apart the motor eventually to try to get it into absolutely top condition. But it is great as it is.

Even without its final plinth -- which should make a huge difference -- it is clearly better than my Rega P5. The most obvious difference is that it is punchier, with stronger dynamics. But there is also just a real solidity under all of the music. A sense that the instruments are really being played by people who mean it. I'll post more impressions once everything is pulled together.

Attached Files:

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Might sound a little better supported by minestrone...

8. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I'd say the black beans give it a little more fire power no doubt.

9. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

A rumble below?

10. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

:)

Here I naively though that there'd be only one post making fun of the cans of beans...

11. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Minestone for opera, black beans for salsa. This could be the start of a "can rolling" thread.:winkgrin:

Eric

12. You're making it too easy for us. :laugh:

13. rcarlton

rcarlton Forum Resident

Technics SL-1200 M3D

Home made Rosewood cabinet.

Attached Files:

14. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member Thread Starter

Nice sounding table Peter!

15. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Cool system, Ron.

16. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Nice rcarlton ! Did you manufacture the Technics chassis yourself ?

17. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

Having fun with the new toy I bought a couple months ago. I used this photo as an Icon but someone wanted to see the full picture. This is a Numark PT-01 I bought on Amazon. I hooked it up to my home stereo and surprisingly the output sounded very good. (btw I think its a belt drive) I also love the way it sounds through that tiny speaker.. great for old Motown 45's. "Ain't Nothin' Like the Real Thing".:D

Attached Files:

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, here's a picture of my very first turntable from 1968::D

Attached Files:

19. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Yeah, that Numark is a belt-drive. That was my first turntable when getting into this scene a couple years ago. For $99, it opened me up to the world of vinyl lp's. True, it can't hope to compete against any serious table and cartridge, but what would you expect for a hundred bucks?

20. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Is the Numark designed for record shopping in used stores (i.e. battery power, portability, etc.) or am I thinking of another table?

I love this thread - thanks everyone for posting pics...:)

21. phish

phish Jack Your Body

you are correct. it's a battery powered portable.

22. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

excellent - thanks phish! :) (p.s. love the Stryper picture...that is Stryper, isn't it?!!!)

23. phish

phish Jack Your Body

it is.

24. billygtexas

About the only feature I wish it had was a SL-1200 type motor start/stop button. I think it would be fun to do a whole DJ set playing nothing but 45's with two of them, but I doubt that needle is suited for back-cuing.

And I'm glad even those low-fi Crosley phonographs are being sold again. Our local Target has a whole wall display of them and my brother bought one. Anything to get people interested in vinyl again.

25. billygtexas

Yes it runs on 6 or 8 D-Cell batteries. Great for pool and beach parties. :D

I bought mine for fun and for and for going through my collection (which is stored in another room) when I didnt want to use my big stereo. But I've heard some record store owners have been banning these little phonographs for fear of them scratching up their precious vinyl.. :(

BTW here's a short video of me playing an old favorite: http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g170/jangleradio/random stuff/?action=view&current=MVI_1649.flv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.