The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jvalvano, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Part of me hopes for this too, but another part of me fears that people will pull out some old beat-up LPs, hear all the noise, say "Now I know why I stopped playing these things!" and go back to CDs.

John K.

2. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Can you install any cart you like on these units or are you limited to the stock cart? Thanks for posting the video, billygtexas! They look like a lot of fun!

3. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

Or they will use one to transfer their old vinyl to CD-R/Mp3 and then toss out the records. :(

You're just limited to using that cartridge. It's a very small cartridge and not one of those plug-in "universal mount" cartridges. I was surprised it has some kind of magnetic cartridge, maybe by Audio Technica. When I ran it through my stereo it sounded very good, but it might have been the amp helping it out. And I have read Numark sells a different needle for playing 78 RPM records.

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Actually, I think most of these sorts of units have a ceramic cartridge.

John K.

5. kinglewi

kinglewi Forum Resident

- - - - - -
    What is the record clamp/puck you are using on your Space 294. I have a N.A. Hyperspace and have been looking for a record clamp that will fit on the spindle that the Hyperspace uses, which extends a bit higher than most turntables - does the clamp you use actually clamp down, or is it just a weight-based puck? thank,

k.l.

6. SCompRacer

SCompRacer Forum Resident

Hello kinglewi,

It is called The Clamp. It came with three various thickness shims that are placed under the LP. (A badly warped record might require stacking two shims). It really holds tight and has allowed me to play some severely warped, previously unplayable LP's.

It was marketed ~14 years (or more) ago by a fellow named Joe Armideo. AKA hearingimpared at the Club Polk Forums. Here is a 2007 thread where one was loaned out to forum members. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47729&highlight=clamp

I do not know if he has any more. He had told me someone was looking at manufacturing it again. The shims and clamp are made of Delrin, the collet is brass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

A machinist can make you one. I found a good drawing on the 'net I can email to you if you PM me.

I too have a Hyperspace but I'm still weighing how much, if any, benefit a clamp would produce on this table. The problem with a clamp is that you then need a perimeter ring weight to keep the record from dishing up on the edges.

Are you using the stock platform under your table or are you using something else? I think this would be the best upgrade for an immediate change in sound.

Eric

8. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

Anyone with an MMF2.2 care to post a picture? I've still got mine boxed up. I need an A/V rack before I assemble it.

9. namahealani

namahealani Forum Resident

Here's a pic. Not mine, I have a MMF-7, I grabbed the pic off audiokarma.org

Also the mmf-2.2 le

Attached Files:

10. Do you still have it?

11. Very nice. :righton:

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sadly, no. I miss that little thing.:cry: It gave me so much musical enjoyment up to 1973.

It took me years to even find any referference to it on the internet. I just stubbled on it the other day.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My mmf 2.1 has a wood plinth. I need to sell it.

14. scotto

scotto Senior Member

We finally pulled the trigger on this Michell Gyro SE for the second system we're putting together, so it's supplanted our P5 for the time being. Hope we can go back...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

What LP is that?

16. scotto

scotto Senior Member

17. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks, it looks cool!

18. KurtW

KurtW Member

[​IMG]

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen one like mine yet: Oracle Delphi Mk V with Graham 2.2 graphite arm and Shelter 501 Mk2.

19. and mine .... it "works" .....radio too

Portable.....3 "C" batteries

leather case, too

Attached Files:

20. Vinylsoul 1965

oooooh....I feel all dirty inside now. Must go and reassure my P1 that it is still loved. lol!

What a beautiful table - the blue vinyl was a nice choice for the shot!!!

21. Vinylsoul 1965

Don't let Steve Jobs see this or iVinyl MIGHT become a reality. What a very cool blast from the past....:)

If you've never seen this, it is worth the time to watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n33ACfZ45ys

22. howiebrou

howiebrou Forum Resident

Here's mine in its latest incarnation; Avid Acutus with a SME V and Benz Micro LP.

howie

[​IMG]

23. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Beautiful rigs, from the entry level to high-end.

Happy listening on all levels!

Eric

24. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Richard, This is too cool! I had a small battery powered TT as a kid but it was twice this size. Certainly far from Hi-Fi but the ability to play music anywhere was a huge deal for me in 1965. Thanks for the Pics.

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Lovely. Meridian CD player and Meridian speakers. What else is there, please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.