The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jvalvano, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howiebrou

howiebrou Forum Resident

The player is a 808i.2, Nagra VPS phono stage, RGPC 1200S and Isotek Titan :love:

2. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Yes, very nice Howie. Two things I noticed right away. Your VPI 16.5 right next to the turntable (perfect) and the warmth of the room. Lovely.

3. howiebrou

howiebrou Forum Resident

Thanks. The last thing I want is to scratch around on the floor to clean a LP. :thumbsup:

4. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alright, everybody. Time to show the goods. I bought two classic Sony tables this week, and they arrived on Thursday and Friday. Needless to say, I've been having a blast.

Here's the first one to arrive, the Sony PS-X5. I paid $100 for it, and very nearly came away with it for only $10. Can you believe such a thing? A fantastic deal on a killer turntable either way.

You can read about the Sony tables from The Vintage Knob; if that site isn't already bookmarked, do so right away. It's a veritable gold mine for the classic era of high-end DD turntables.

The sound on the PS-X5 is superb, fantastic, killer. I'm using the Denon DL-160 that I originally bought for my Pro-Ject Debut III. I can see now that the cart was far too much for the humble Debut to handle. While it sounded great there, on the Sony everything is so much fuller, richer, and sharper. Once again, I am truly amazed at the performance of Denon's MC cart. Its performance is superb.

Compared to my old Debut, the PS-X5 is a beast, very large and impressive. The tonearm is especially nice, all glimmering and heavy. I bought an Ortofon headshell and was instantly amazed at its performance. OFC really makes a difference! If your table uses a headshell, get a Sumiko immediately.

The only problem with the Sony is its automatic functions. The gears are a little greasy and worn. But this is to be expected after 30 years, and this is something I expect could be cleaned and fixed fairly easily. Fortunately, the table works perfectly manually, and I am more than happy with that.

Looking at my two Sony turntables, and the Realistic Lab-420 I got my Dad for Christmas, I've come to believe that vintage tt's are the best deal in audio today. If you can find one that is in excellent shape, and has been treated properly, you will have a fantastic high-end system for a fraction of the price. And these monster dd's will never be made again.

5. Daniel Thomas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are screenshots for the second turntable to arrive this week. I just got it today, in fact, and those of us in the club house had a lot of fun watching me unpacking it from two boxes filled with styrofoam peanuts. It was like discovering pirate treasure.

This is Sony's PS-X75. It looks absolutely fantastic. I am gobsmacked by the shape of this thing. You would swear that this was a brand-new turntable, not one that just turned 30. My thanks go out to the previous owner for taking such care and sending it to me in such pristine condition.

I think the Sony PS-X5 is a killer table...but PS-X75 is even better. It's a very large beast, very imposing, and very glossy. The wood veneer is a nice touch. The buttons look great, and all the automatic features are fully functional.

And the best feature of this table is the Biotracer arm. Great tonearm, just great. The light shaft is used to detect the record's size, so the table knows where to raise and lower the arm. You don't have to ever lay a finger on the thing. You can be content to simply press the start button, hit the return button, and then leave the Sony alone all night long. There are buttons to move the arm manually, which is really just an extravagence, but it's such a nice one. If you wanted to move the arm yourself, that's perfectly fine, too.

The sound on PS-X75 is fantastic. Switching back and forth, I'd say the music is smoother than the PS-X5. The X5 has more grit, more bite, which is great and miles away from my Pro-Ject. But the X75 is just a little bit better. I'm thrilled to have either one, but there's no question which table is better.

With all of the computer parts, I am amazed that this thing works so well. Nothing has broken down or worn itself out. And the divisive DD issue - the direct drive motor - is dead quiet. Both tables are dead quiet. The motor on the Debut III was far, far louder. To be fair, the Lab-420 gave off a notable motor hum, but that was essentially a budget table for its time. There was no shielding or work put into that motor. The Sony's represent a great committment towards solving the issue, and you can hear the results for yourselves.

As always, consult The Vintage Knob for all the nuts and bolts.

How much did I pay for these? The PS-X75 cost around $300, and the PS-X5 cost $100. Both were packaged and boxed with extreme care and they will provide many years of musical love. Oh, how I wish Sony would get back in the game, dust off their old blueprints, and start building these things again. No doubt the price would be at least two grand.

I'll repeat again - this is the best deal in music today. If you can score one of these Sony turntables, don't hesitate to buy. You deserve to hear what a high-end DD sounds like.

6. Daniel Thomas

Oh, just as a quick follow-up, I'm using the Denon DL-160 on the Sumiko headshell for both tables right now. I want to invest in a stronger cartridge, a giant killer, but the money isn't there right now. Right now, I can't decide between the Dynavector 10x5 and the Denon D-103R. I've got the Tube Box II, so I can handle LOMC's. And I really want to see these sport cars race. But the DL-160 is a great cart and will keep me happy for now.

7. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

8. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Hi Daniel,

You have yourself one fine piece of vintage gear - enjoy.

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

BTW, I LOVE your Pink Floyd avatar. The only thing that could make it better is if you deleted the caption and just let the people who will get it get it on their own.

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

11. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I had a PS-X500 that I bought brand new back in the day. I used it for 20 years then sold it when I got a VPI. I love the VPI and wouldn't trade it, but I do miss the Sony.

John K.

12. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Thanx Jay:

I took the image from a t-shirt that I have. I get a few laughs when I wear it out, but for the most part people are clueless.

13. Daniel Thomas

Yeah, these Sony tables are fantastic. There were 4 of them on Ebay when I was bidding. I think that's why I was able to score these two for a song - the other PS-X tables went for over $500.

There's a lot of great stuff floating around if you know where to look. Every music lover owes it to themselves to preserve this vital piece of history.

I am just loving these turntables - especially the PS-X75. It really is amazing.

14. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

So I guess you won't be needing that Technics!

15. Daniel Thomas

Probably not. At least, not for now. If I get into DJ'ing, sure. But considering that I got these tables for just under $400 ($280 + $100), I'm just happy to get a killer deal for the money.

16. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I hear ya. You're all set for a while there.

17. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

How good is the quality of the AT-PL120 compared to the classic Technics SL-1200?

I have a friend who's interested in buying one but didnt want a cheap knockoff.

18. bary01

bary01 New Member

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Yes, but for those who do get it, it's hysterical.

20. bary01

bary01 New Member

shutdown66 likes this.
  21. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

i can't compare them side by side, i knew someone who had a SL-1200, but i havent seen that since i bought mine, or in a couple years for that fact. i only had it since November 08, but i love it. i have zero complaints on it. and im sure i will love it even more when my new cart gets here to replace the "dj" stock one.

22. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

Here are a couple of shots of my LP12 with the newly-installed Cetech armboard (which you can see) and subchassis (which you can't).

Attached Files:

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

We're past 1,000 posts here. I'll start a follow-up thread in a jiffy. It seems that folks are enjoying this, so let's keep it going. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.