The Pink Floyd Thread (News, Talk Etc.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Doctorbox4

Doctorbox4 Forum Resident

During the 1977 Animals Tour; he played rhythm whilst Snowy White took over bass duties. I think Sheep and Pigs (3 Different Ones) were performed this way.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I have no animosity towards Roger and the associated band issues.

I have to say though that I tuned in to see Rogers appearance on Colbert and I found it strangely boring.
    I did a double take also when I saw him with a Strat.

3. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

4. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

He's singing live here with the backing singers picking up the slack as needed, same approach as his lockdown videos, which I think many of us would like to see him do more in his shows.

No idea why he’s playing the strat on this song but as has been pointed out, it’s nothing new.

It’s common to overdo the ‘fake playing’ angle but it's not true. He plays some songs splitting bass parts with Gus Seyfert, but was the sole bass player on a large proportion of songs on the last tour including this one. There's nothing hidden about it, Seyfert is in full view.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I'll try and see him one more time if he makes it to the UK.

5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Money, it's a gas.
    Pink Floyd seeks $500m for music catalogue

Members of the rock band Pink Floyd are seeking at least US$500 million in a deal for their music catalog, according to people familiar with the talks, which would be one of the largest sales in music history.

The group known for hits such as “Money” and “Comfortably Numb” is selling its recording and songwriting catalog, as well as the power to create merchandise based on the band, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are confidential. Patrick McKenna, who is representing the band in the process, did not respond to an email seeking comment.

McKenna has winnowed the list of potential buyers to four, said the people. The names include Warner Music Group Corp, Sony Music Entertainment and BMG. Sony and Warner already distribute some of Pink Floyd’s music.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

Most interesting. I would have thought more than that.

7. Bosley

Bosley Forum Resident

Just going to shout this out to the void:

Let's keep the merchandise to a minimum (God, it's hard to type that without feeling like a fool).

But more importantly, no more ridiculous box sets. Whoever takes control of this catalog should quickly be getting their ducks in a row for whatever is needed to coordinate a thoughtful Archive series of primarily Single Disc releases, similar to the treatment the Bob Dylan and Neil Young catalogs have gotten the last several years. For a band specifically known for the thoughtful coherence of their studio albums, the ramshackle approach to their archive releases has been a disgrace. They should just pretend that things like the Immersion boxsets and Early Days boxset were never released, and just start from scratch. Start by hiring a few consultants who are experts in the area of unreleased/bootleg Floyd (there are many who would be thrilled to assist), that will make sure everything out there gets accounted for, and from the best known source. Release things in a way that actually makes sense, e.g. the Wembly concert is a single release, Darkside Alternate/Demos is a single release, Zabriskie expanded is a single release, BBC, etc. And of course quality mastering is of the utmost importance. Base that off the Doug Sax mid-90s releases, which I think would satisfy 99% of listeners.

And feel free to use some sort of spine catalog numbering system, if you feel the need to rope the obsessesives into buying the full set. I think many of us would be happy buying it all, if they finally do this right.

I'm no expert, but I'd absolutely be willing to offer my services for free as "Conceptual Product Approver", meaning I get to personally approve any release before it hits market. And (hint, hint) all stupid, large boxsets will of course be getting immediately vetoed. I think I can really help in this area.

8. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

But he's not faking anything on this performance.

Criticizing him when he does is totally valid. But in this particular case, where he hasn't sung any of these songs live in years, isn't the fact that he's really doing it here a positive thing?

penguinzzz and Leugi like this.
  9. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I would have too however I think it’s just the publishing. The writers still get the 50% writing royalties. I could be wrong.

10. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

He kinda did on the last tour ~ during the eerie synth solo of "Dogs," he and the rest of the band donned pig masks and drank tea at stage right. I loved it, was like a throwback to "The Man."

penguinzzz and aphexj like this.
  11. Isn’t he? I was under the strong impression that Roger hasn’t sung much live for a number of years, or at least I do distinctly remember seeing some evidence (on one or another live videos) of his vocals being quite obviously audible (and perfect sounding), while he was nowhere near the microphone.

12. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

I've never regretted getting the Early Years box, but in 2016 I removed the inner box with the CDs and DVDs, enjoy it regularly, and haven't looked in the big box since (although it does store the 45s). I remember thinking, what am I supposed to do with all these printed pieces of paper?

However, I admit I bought the van at the Their Mortal Remains exhibit... love it, no idea why.

hi_watt, Gavaxeman, Hattipper and 3 others like this.
  13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I wanted the van more than the actual box.

ARK, hi_watt, Gavaxeman and 1 other person like this.
  14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Define 'much'

15. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

I’m calling dibs on the “Tea Lady” role.

16. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

And I'm sure they'll be worth every penny of it.

17. Bosley

Bosley Forum Resident

And what does this role entail?

18. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

He has lipsynced large amounts of his concerts for a long time now. But on this particular Colbert performance he is clearly singing live.

penguinzzz and GoodKitty like this.
  19. Bosley

Bosley Forum Resident

I'm glad you are getting good mileage out of the box. I don't mean to slag it too much; lots of interesting material finally saw the light on day with that thing.

I just think it could have been done in a way that was more economical (which is really putting it kindly). And the fan in me fears the box itself could stand as a Stanley Kubrick-like Monolith, blocking the path of any further archive work from this period.

And the knickknacks like the van I'm fine with, as long as it's a "sold separately" situation. When I buy album, I really just want album. Not album + random knickknack. If I had that Van it would of course be riding around my shelves, but in principle I am just opposed to packaging that stuff in with music.

20. Bosley

Bosley Forum Resident

Hey, just want to do what I can to get this music out there, save the good folks some money, and save some cardboard, all at the same time.

21. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

I agree, great points... still hoping for a mono A Saucerful of Secrets CD with outtakes and alternates...

Untitled (Take 7 master)
    "Intremental" (Reaction in G?)
    Paintbox (alternate version)
    Remember a Day (" ")
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (" ")
    Jugband Blues (" ")
    Scream Thy Last Scream (early mix)
    Vegetable Man (" ")
    In the Beechwoods (" ")

22. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

I mirror this statement

Gavaxeman likes this.
  23. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I brought the van too ..really should have been in the box ..I thought their mortal remains was excellent

Hattipper and hi_watt like this.
  24. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

Some upcoming Pink Floyd books:

'Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon' by Storm Thorgerson and Aubrey Powell (March 7th, 2023)

'Pink Floyd and the Dark Side of the Moon' by Martin Popoff (March 21st, 2023)

'Lunacy: The Curious Origins and Lingering Effects of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon - 50 years On' by John Kruth (May 1st, 2023)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    ropiyas and J_D__ like this.
  25. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Storm managed to pen a book from beyond? That’s impressive!