The Pink Floyd Thread (News, Talk Etc.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 28, 2020.

1. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I saw Waters' The Wall 2012 tour in Charlotte, NC. Waters lip synced all of his vocals. The band was live, he wasn't.

nutsfortubes, Scancom and Dog Ear like this.
  2. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Terrific thread. I'm lovin' all of the fantastic photos from many lifetimes ago. Thanks to all!

Jerry Horne likes this.
  3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I heard there are so called Pink Floyd fans that don't like Ummagumma. :)

Buddybud and Instant Dharma like this.
  5. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

How has this album not had a clear vinyl release?!

6. Jerry Horne

I've been asking that for years!!!

Buddybud and Derek Slazenger like this.
  7. Jerry Horne

They are dead to me.

8. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

Saw this tour in Chicago. Quite enjoyed it. However, now you have me thinking... perhaps I was just another brick in the wall (or another butt in a pricey seat). Suppose all that lip synching didn't end with Milli Vanilli.

slovell likes this.
  9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If it was a double live album instead of what it was, I'd probably like it. But I find Pompeii (and some of the BBC stuff in The Early Years) much better pre-Dark Side live Floyd.

BeatlesBop and *Zod* like this.
  10. DementedAvenger

DementedAvenger Forum Resident

Just a quick reminder on sky arts (UK) this Saturday, from 6-30 = live at pompeii, 7-45 P. U. L. S. E,
    9-00= Roger waters Us+Them,
    11-30= The story of wish were here

Jerry Horne likes this.
  11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Its all about the journey from Syd to the Dark Side.

12. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

this - 9/30/71 and Pompeii (10/71) is the best live PF out there, maybe the peak of the band in transition, like Coltrane at the Vanguard 61.

13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I never really did get the Syd stuff, I’ll be honest. My fav Floyd is Meddle...they got the perfect balance between experimental stuff and great melodic writing around ‘71.

klockwerk and hi_watt like this.
  14. I didn’t either, for a good 20 years. I first got deeply into Floyd ~1986, and then 1987 especially. But I never really took to Piper (or Syd) Until I found a cheap ($8!) used copy of the Early Singles CD sometime around 2005-08 (I forget when).

Little by little it grew on me, and I *finally* picked up a CD copy of Piper around 2014. And actually what pushed me to get it, was finding a cheap used copy of London 66/67 on CD (with the original 16-min version of “I/O” and “Nick’s Boogie”.

THAT early 1966 version of “I/O” is really clicked with me, so I had to finally get Piper (around age 45).

Keep listening to the Syd stuff, and it may just grow on you eventually.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around some of Syd’s solo stuff (not much progress there yet), but I’ve been listening to solo-Syd (now and then) for about 5 years. I may never get there, but I think most of his actual Floyd output is really fantastic.

I even bought the Early Years box! - the single biggest music purchase I’ve ever made (and I say that owning 30 big Mosaic jazz box sets, some as many as 12 CD’s).

Syd’s Floyd years are worth many repeated attempts to digest. Over time, who knows?

nutsfortubes likes this.
  15. Jerry Horne

Delicate Sound of Thunder. 11/20.

[​IMG]

Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder Anniversary

The release of the restored, re-edited and remixed version of Delicate Sound of Thunder has been announced for Friday 20th November. Originally available solely on VHS and Laser disc, the Grammy Award-nominated programme has been completely restored and re-edited under the direction of Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis, with the sound remixed by Andy Jackson with David Gilmour. It will be available on Blu-ray and DVD, with audio-only versions on 2-CD or 3-LP, plus a Deluxe 4-disc version including 2-CDs plus Blu-ray and DVD, each of which contain five bonus tracks.

Delicate Sound of Thunder was filmed a year into the triumphant record-breaking Momentary Lapse of Reason tour at the Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, New York. Although the actual final live date was in June 1990, this concert presentation celebrated the last shows of 1988 – filmed and recorded over a 5-night run in August. Originally directed by Wayne Isham, the new version was sourced directly from hundreds of cans of original 35mm negatives, painstakingly restored and transferred to 4K, with the show completely re-edited by Benny Trickett, under the creative direction of Aubrey Powell/Hipgnosis. Similarly, the sound was completely remixed from the original multitrack tapes by longtime Pink Floyd engineer Andy Jackson with David Gilmour, assisted by Damon Iddins.

Seen and heard playing alongside David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright are: Jon Carin (Keyboards, Vocals); Tim Renwick (Guitars, Vocals); Guy Pratt (Bass, Vocals); Gary Wallis (Percussion); Scott Page (Saxophones, Guitar); Margret Taylor (Backing Vocals); Rachel Fury (Backing Vocals); and Durga McBroom (Backing Vocals). Film Producers were Curt Marvis and Carl Wyant and Director of Photography was Marc Reshovsky, with Lighting Design by Marc Brickman. Content varies from format to format: Blu-ray and DVD include 16 songs in 115 minutes, with the 3-LP and 2-CD containing 23 songs each (nine more than the original vinyl release and eight more than the original 2-CD). All formats include a 24-page booklet, while the Deluxe box has a 40-page booklet, a double-sided poster and five postcards.

The set list carefully balances then-new material from A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Pink Floyd classics, including four songs from The Dark Side of the Moon, the anthemic title track of Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb and a cathartic Run Like Hell. As a record of the creative power of David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright, Delicate Sound of Thunder presents them at their incendiary best.

16. Jerry Horne

17. Jerry Horne

Am I right in thinking that the studio version of "What Shall We Do Now?" has never been released? Are the versions out there sourced from the laserdisc/dvd?

I just realized I don't have a copy of this :(

Buddybud and Zongadude like this.
  18. Uncommon Sense

Uncommon Sense Forum Resident

That version of Interstellar Overdrive is the definitive version for me.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  19. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Study Syd's lyrics. The meanings are quite deep even though they sound like psychedelic nonsense.

nutsfortubes and brfloydfan like this.
  20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Exactly. So many psychedelic songs are just "bubblegum and candy corn, oh what fun" absurdity. Syd was just using the themes and aesthetic to write some great material.

Lownote30 and Buddybud like this.
  21. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Don’t know if this has already been posted, but just found this really good documentary on the entire history of the Floyd.
    Seems like it’s an amateur production, a bit copy-paste, but very nicely done.

Buddybud and Zongadude like this.
  22. Jerry Horne

23. Jerry Horne

24. Jerry Horne

25. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Jan.27 ..... today is Nick's 77th birthday. :cheers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]