The Plangent Process

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stephen Murphy, Dec 8, 2014.

1. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

Once the process is applied, you're no longer listening to playback straight from tape, you're listening to post DSP signal, so it's no longer subject to the vagaries of the mechanical part of the playback. The results may not be perfect in every way and with every type and degree of tape-related mechanical pitch instability, but, based on the results I've heard, the impact can be remarkable, dramatically reducing a distortion so previously ubiquitous I didn't even realize it was there or the degree to which it was making things sound canned and unnatural, which is really noticeable when it's gone. The recent Aretha Franklin singles collection offered, to my ears, a particularly notable example of improvement.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's basically his MO from what I've read over and over thus far.

Plan9, Shawn, ispace and 1 other person like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Hold on... You actually read about it, understood what this process really does, then actually listened to album which used it, and *then* formed an educated opinion?

:yikes:

What kind of crazy world is this? :laugh:

4. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Forum Resident

You couldn’t possibly ruin my day.

It would help if I knew what your opinion actually was: something something turntables everything distorted wow concert ok studio leave distorted noise something something.

5. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Forum Resident

Thanks, Bill those are kind words. O’m glad it’s working for you, and nice to hear it’s doing what we hope it does.

6. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Truer words were never spoken. And all the thanks go to you.

I'm just pleased I have the opportunity to tell you how impressed I have been directly.

Superb job developing the Plangent Process. Kudos!

Bill

Shawn likes this.
  7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Ha, it’s like the previous four pages of this thread were Plangent processed and this is what came out the other end. I kid of course let’s move on.

I’m super excited for the Crosby release; also great Barncard seems involved as he nails stuff. Also the GD St. Louis box should be great as the samples so far sound luscious.

ianuaditis and trd like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

The ignorant comments all come from a single member and that's someone who can't even understand what the process does. Best to do as I did and get a good chuckle at the utter ignorance. It was entertaining. :)

And I hope you meant a "medal". Metal would likely hurt! :D

Soundslave, trd, Spy Car and 2 others like this.
  9. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Going with the flow...

I thought you were done & gone?
    No one is upset, well maybe one person ;)

Perhaps your time may be better spent evaluating a process and non-processed recording. Start with GD American Beauty.

The original is very good, the anniversary reissue improves the goodness. When I compared them I had never heard of the process and did not know it was applied.

I can't say the total improvement was the process but I venture it was a big factor.

Strat-Mangler and Shawn like this.
  10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Dedicated Follower of Hi-Fi

As the Grateful Dead so plangently sang: “You ain’t gonna learn what you don’t want to know.”

George P, Al Gator, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Dedicated Follower of Hi-Fi

The most annoying sound in the world is nothing but wow and flutter.

[​IMG]

Shawn and Ingenieur like this.
  12. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

upload_2021-9-11_12-3-37.jpeg

13. Strat-Mangler

@jamiehowarth are you at liberty to mention some upcoming albums on which the Plangent process will be used?

ispace likes this.
  14. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

15. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

I believe the 50th anniversary of The Doors L.A. Woman is getting the Plangent treatment. I do look forward to that. :p

Shawn, ispace and Strat-Mangler like this.
  16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It's truly unfortunate that the Springsteen releases utilizing the Plangent Process are then so dynamically compressed that it virtually negates any sonic improvement from the Process :realmad:

sunspot42, LouChang, George P and 2 others like this.
  17. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

First I've heard of the Plangent Process. Found this Youtube of The Bruce Springsteen Box set with comments from Bob Ludwig and what I thought was to be an A/B between the two mastered versions only to hear the Plangent version and comments from listeners. What a waist of time.

Can anyone provide a link to A/B any song with the Plangent Process and without? The Amazon samples of the Springsteen box set with this process applied sounded way too harsh and overly crispy as if someone applied a flat 4db boost EQ between 800Hz to 4kHz but only in the reverb portion in order to open up the stage imaging giving it an overly airy sound. Don't know what the original Springsteen version sounded like. I listened to Bobby Jean and Born In The USA. I had to lower my volume from the normal middle on my MacMini to near the max bottom. I can't tell if the sound is ruined by loudness or the Plangent Process or both.

18. Tim Lookingbill

Ok, my mistake. Sounds overly harsh, loud and crispy on headphones but sounds REALLY CLEAR and detailed, fuller, thicker on speakers listening on my W-King D8 boombox.

jamiehowarth likes this.
  19. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

I don't know about A/B with only the Plangent Process as the only difference, you're getting remasters too, but the Aretha Franklin mono singles set to me was almost like hearing some of this music, extremely familiar to me for decades, for the first time.

sunspot42, jhm and Experiencereunited like this.
  20. grx8

grx8 Forum Resident

I have the LP and the CD box and think they sound great, specially the first 4. Get them.

21. Tim Lookingbill

I looked it up and found this 2012 Audiophile Review article interviewing the president of Plangent Processes company which offers a better tape transfer method that removes artifacts like wow and flutter and other timing and pitch issues.

Plangent - A Better Way to Transfer Analog Tape

22. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

Information about the process is also on the company's website. Also the company's founder is on this thread.

ispace, Shawn and Billy Infinity like this.
  23. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I think it would be helpful (not only to interested listeners but also maybe to the people in charge of planning these reissues) if there were some publicly available sample of a Plangent Process-ed recording and the un-processed sample of the same transfer. Available in their native resolutions so they could be freely examined and compared. Older masterings done on completely different equipment make for an apples-to-oranges comparison IMO.

sunspot42, Anthrax, ispace and 5 others like this.
  24. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Way back, there were such samples posted on the main Plangent page. There's a link there now to request samples. The old samples were incredibly dramatic, like an air check tape of the NBC orchestra recorded on a machine with a badly slipping capstan/pinch roller that was horribly unlistenable but restored to normal after the process. There was also a sample from a movie soundtrack that was just as dramatic. And, there was a sample of Mississippi Queen - which obviously wasn't as flawed as the other samples but I clearly remember A/B'ing it repeatedly and the snare hits really stood out, almost like the playing on the unprocessed sample was sloppy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  25. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I scanned the thread and didn't find any mention of processing multitracks and wondered how that worked... It appears that custom head stacks are available up to 24 track, along with a 4 channel wideband preamp. So I can imagine it's possible to ingest a 4 track tape directly, and assuming none of the tracks were bounced then it would be possible to eliminate all tape transport artifacts, although the bias signal would be particular to each track if they were recorded at different times, right? And what about 8 track or more? Can you use more wideband preamps together and ingest all 8 (or more) tracks at once? And finally, on a multitrack with bounced tracks, is there any way to sort out and correct the two sets of transport artifacts, those incurred from record/playback originally and those added when recorded to the new track? I'm guessing bounces made through the studio chain (mixer, DA's, etc.) would lose any really high frequency information, but I know some 8 track machines allowed bouncing directly in the machine, so not sure if the electronics would pass any relevant signals. Maybe I'm not phrasing that correctly, but ultimately I'm wondering if you can ever sort out more than one pass on a tape machine. So there's a straightforward Plangent Process project - sort out the original twin track of Please Please Me.

Tim Lookingbill and Ripblade like this.