The Plangent Process

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stephen Murphy, Dec 8, 2014.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

In the video you can hear how the wire keeps in better contact with the head when played back on the Ampex transport. So it’s helpful regardless of Plangent.

Shawn, jtiner, Plan9 and 1 other person like this.
  2. BrettyD

BrettyD Forum Resident

With wire recording is the signal right through the diameter of the wire?
    I guess it must be or it would fluctuate with “turning” of the wire itself…
    Hope this makes sense!

3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

That makes sense. Although they wished the whole signal would record completely right through the whole wire, the highest of the high end available is on the "side" of the wire that made the most contact with the recording head. (And the same head was used for record and play.) In the Guthrie youtube cuts, you can hear the high end keep wavering from nice enough to a little dull, and I take that to mean the wire "turned". That was said to be deterioration of the wire, but that doesn't fit with my experience. Because all wire recordings are like that.

MacGyvering around in thought, I can imagine a better archival play system that has three or four original good W-C heads arrayed 360 degrees "around" the wire, but an inch or so apart as the wire runs, and the head that best picks up the highs no matter how the wire has turned would be the signal used for the restoration, all heads suitably digitally delayed to synchronize. This would be easier to do than it might sound. (Shoot there I go giving away another $10,000 idea.)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    BrettyD, Tim Lookingbill and Plan9 like this.
  4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I take what you say, but that is not what I heard.

5. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Forum Resident

The Ampex machine with a JRF/Flux mgnetics head clobbers an original Webster.
    ca 42kHz bias was on the wire, audio to about 12kHz. The tracking was done using that bias except where the wire was twisted, and then 60Hz… and I wish we had a do-ever we learned a lot in the years since.

LouChang, jtiner, JohnO and 4 others like this.
  6. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Forum Resident

60 cylecHum was used in sone places but mostly ca 40kHz bias remnant was the tracking signal.

7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm assuming this is the Woody Guthrie 1949 Live Wire Recording mentioned in this thread after the restoration.

The Great Dust Storm by Woody Guthrie...

I picked the clearest in regard to acoustic guitar sound which is more detailed than the Jimmie Rodgers recording I have of The Last Blue Yodel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMFmgU3vtyM

I can tell you from applying a 31 band EQ on the Jimmie Rodgers piece there's lot's of detail especially in the guitar.

8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Here's the Jimmie Rodger's Last Blue Yodel so you don't have to listen on YouTube...