The plural of vinyl is vinyls

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

The plural of stupid thread is stupid threads.

2. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

I'm more concerned about the prats that are passing themselves off as vinyl experts on YT. Saw a guy yesterday talking about how he cleans his records and during the entire demo his fingers were all over it. Think of this when you look for medical or political opinions.

3. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

I'm this is what you mean but it's glasses because there are two pieces of glass per 'pair of glasses'.

4. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Famous last words lol!

5. Pali Gap

To be fair, someone could be using those words as short for 'a vinyl record'.
    At the end of the day, language evolves and sometimes 'official' meanings even adapt to what's socially accepted. Doesn't even matter what may have been 'traditionally' grammatically correct.

Uglyversal and timind like this.
  6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

The plural of vinyl is vinyl as is cannon the plural of cannon.

caravan70 likes this.
  7. When I wear a pair of trousers I only wear one pair, I carnt see the point in wearing a pair of trousers,that would be foolish.

8. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

One glass of beer, two glasses of beer.
    Lol.
    Oh well, don’t mind me, I’m not a native English speaker :p

timind likes this.
  9. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

It’s definitely vinyls. We have a certified heard of them roaming around back of our property.

10. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

Some say potatoes some say tomatoes. Some say Records and some say Streaming....

11. Pali Gap

Wait, didn't you just say you do wear a pair?
    :D

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  12. I do wear a pair but only one.If I wore a pair there would be 4 legs,two legs good four legs bad,as Orwell wrote.

13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I played a vinyl
    I played a record
    I played records
    I played vinyls

A person could say any of the above to me and I'd know what they were saying. Is that good communication or good communications or just good vibrations? I live in a part of the U.S. where "you guys" or a group of people can be pronounced...you n's,yinz,yous (PA Dutch) so vinyls doesn't bother me in the least...I understands what it means.

April Snow likes this.
  14. Pali Gap

*snort* *snort*

15. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

And that’s what makes English notoriously hard to learn. There’s too many contradictions and exceptions to every grammatical rule. Other Indo-Europeans languages are much more straight forward, or so I’ve been told.

16. English is more PC because it is gender free.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  17. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

There are many exceptions in Dutch too.
    Those are often newer words that have been adopted from other languages (mostly French - words from before the 40s/50s and English - post WW2).

Isaac K. likes this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

But to be fair, if I said, "I played some music, it was on a big black circular thing", you'd also know what I was saying.

The modern world is a strange anything goes place. No-one wants to follow any convention or rules, they just want to blast through life "being understood". It's all a bit sad. I'm old, so I hope you can forgive me when I say that any time I read someone saying "Vinyls", I note their IQ is a couple points lower than a potato. Just saying. :D

caravan70, Classicrock, MGW and 2 others like this.
  19. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I’m a cynical old faht, so I believe that most of the hipsters on the vinyl bandwagon are doing it because it’s cool and fits a societal trend for vintage things. Thus, it seems the least they could do is use the old terminology.
    [grumpy old guy rant over]

20. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

they're "rekkids"

21. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

The plural for mind numbingly inane is thanks for wasting my freaking time. :)

Unfortunately in today's world, that's a profound statement!

nosliw, Cyclone Ranger and morinix like this.
  22. Like platters and diskeries?

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Are hipsters still a thing?

24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

WTH’s a diskery? I’m OK with platter. I generally go with LP or record, though I really think record or album is better used for the title rather than being media specific. It’s all moot, folks gonna call them what they call them. But vinyls does make me cringe.

25. The term for a record company in the early 1950’s.