The plural of vinyl is vinyls

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Isn’t the purpose of language to communicate? Do you not understand what a person is saying when they use the word “vinyls”?

giving AF is weird, taking time to bitch about it is far more annoying (and possibly a cry for help) than adding one letter to a word. Is snobby, arrogant, pretentious and entirely without benefit to anyone.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Furthermore, it takes up time I can be angry at kids for misusing "literally".

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

The plural of vinyl is records. Done, close the thread....

4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’ve always had an objection to using vinyl in case people get mixed up with vinyl flooring…

5. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Couldn’t agree more!

richbdd01 likes this.
  6. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

Plural for mice according to Sylvester the Cat: I hate those Meeces to pieces!!!

caravan70, Aftermath and Fender Relic like this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Vinyl: Bought the album, bought the record.
    CD: Bought the CD.
    Tape: Bought this thing that's supposed to be as good as Vinyl but it sucks.

8. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

One of the last times I hung out with my oldest brother - educated, very smart, and an honest to goodness doctor (pediatrician), he was saying the word vinyls over and over while looking at my collection.

I kept saying "it's vinyl" and just got more annoyed. He has some young daughters (via his second wife) so I assume he heard it from them. Nonetheless it still drives me crazy.

9. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Always struck me as odd to refer to records based on the material they’re made of. Oh well, off to play some polycarbonates. Otherwise, who really cares if folks want to add an ‘s’ to the word, not nearly as annoying as the the tendency of so many people to put the word ‘super’ in front of every adjective or adverb. That’s super annoying.

10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

The plural of record or LP is records or LPs.

An LP, or record, is made out of vinyl. There is no such word as vinyls. Makes no sense. Even the 'spell check' doesn't recognize it (vinyls).

:shrug:

I have a lot of LPs but I don't have any vinyls. Vinyls sounds kinky to me.

But say what you want to say. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  11. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

According to the last poll I saw, only about 30% of people use the correct pronunciation of "GIF". So we're unfortunately probably also heading close to that point with the vinyl vs. vinyls divide, especially with Gen Z.

12. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

There's something else in this which (I don't think?) has been taken into consideration. The days of what you could call the 'original vinyl era' (i.e. from inception up until its sales collapsed toward the end of the 80s/ early 90s) were a pre-internet age. This means that for most people on this forum (mostly English-speaking Americans) their only references to/ conversations about 'records' were with people coming from the same place, both literally and linguistically.

The modern-day vinyl era (i.e. since its resurgence 10-15 years ago) is very much of the internet age in which people from all over the planet will converse in places such as this, YouTube etc. For most people for whom English isn't their native language, the word 'record' wasn't (nor isn't) the word they would have used (or do use) so it's basically a different point of reference.

For example, in Spanish, vinyl records are 'vinilos discos' and in French, 'disques vinyles': from these two alone, it's logical that a Spanish/French-speaking person may, when speaking English, refer to them as 'vinyls'. Also, if you also throw age into the equation i.e. a generation for whom vinyl records is basically a new concept (since the original 'era' predates their life/ living memory) it shouldn't really be a massive surprise that not every living person steadfastly refers to these plastic discs as 'records' since that is a word that is mostly specific to the original time and to the English language.

Full disclosure: use of the 'vinyls' and 'vinyl player' really crawls up my **** too, but in truth, it's a very English language-centric and generation-specific form of intolerance.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    olegrayman and eddiel like this.
  13. Oelewapper

What’s correct?
    Gif sounding jif or more like give?

I think it has more to do with non native speakers on the web though.
    More people are speaking English than ever, but for most it’s their secondary or tertiary language.

14. Oelewapper

Almost like you read my mind... :p

During the 90s/00s “vinyl” was used over here to refer to DJ records, that’s what cool guys had, while “platen” (Dutch for records) were what old farts had.
    But now that records have lost that negative connotation, people have started calling them vinyl.
    Because it sounds more fashionable.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    norliss likes this.
  15. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

According to the inventor of the GIF file format and the documentation included with the original application made to display it (CompuShow), it's pronounced with a soft G, like the brand of peanut butter. In the '90s and early 2000s, glossaries of computing terms always listed that as either the only accepted pronunciation or the preferred pronunciation, with the now-more-common hard G pronunciation as an alternate choice.

And speaking of which -- not all short, silent video/animation clips are GIFs. These days, most are actually MP4 video files. I've even heard news anchors and talk show hosts mistakenly refer to a short video clip with sound as a "GIF", which is impossible because GIF does not support audio!

caravan70 likes this.
  16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Sorry, I don't follow. Given the examples you gave, why wouldn't the Spanish-speaking or French-speaking person recognize that "vinolos" or "vinyles" are ADJECTIVES, while "discos" and "disques" are NOUNS. So, the English equivalent for such a speaker would logically be "discs". But, colloquially, "records".

Ah well. No se, or je ne sais pas. C'est une puzzlement. J'ai une tourne-disque, pas une tourne-vinyle. Or toca-discos.

pboser likes this.
  17. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Irrespective of adjectives and nouns (not sure why you capitalised those, by the way!) those were examples of languages for which the plural is a different word from the singular, unlike in English. Besides, I think the main point is simply the point of reference i.e. 'records' is not a universal word.

eddiel likes this.
  18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

19. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Fruff76 likes this.
  21. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Thanks! Frederick is a nice little town. I’ll have to check out the new spot for some vinyls :whistle:the next time I’m there.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Fruff76 likes this.
  23. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

To quote Sylvester the Cat from Looney Tunes, I hate those Meeces to pieces.:nyah:

24. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

(At the local drive thru liquor store)
    Me: "I'll have a 12 pack of Colt 45 and that's all. "
    Store: "You want the bottles?"
    Me: "I'll have the aluminums'"
    Store: "Uh... What?"

jfeldt likes this.
  25. Ive never got to understand why when you buy a pair of trousers,you only get one.

April Snow likes this.