The Police - Every Move You Make: The Studio Recordings 40th anniversary collection*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Caruso65, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

This concert is still the best recording I know of. The live b-side version of Message in a Bottle (with overdubs) originated from this concert. Some footage was in the Outlandos to Synchronicity release.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

These two odds and ends sides are missing a couple of great cuts. "I Burn For You" and some of the live b-sides such as "Man In The Suitcase" and "Tea In The Sahara" come to mind.

3. manco

manco Forum Resident

To anyone who was buying Police singles/albums in 1981, what was your reaction to "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic"? I was a kid back in the 1980s when I first started hearing the song on the radio and it still blows me away, that intro.

jusbe, Carlox, Michael Rose and 4 others like this.
  4. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

I've been a fan since the 70s so every year I'd look forward to their new material. I heard it on the radio and bought the 7" single (which I still have) as soon as it was released. At the time I thought it was a good song though I preferred their earlier material-more raw, than this. It was more a pop record to me however it has a great bassline and its a very catchy song. Through the years it grew on me and I like it and made me realize what a great, versatile group they were. They could rock and play a pop song at the same concert. Actually it was a great song live though by the time I last saw them (before the reunion) in 1984 it was off the setlist. When Synchronicity was released they rarely played it live. I still remember hearing it for the first time on WPLJ and I was jacked because the DJ said "new single by The Police". I recorded it off the radio onto a cassette tape and played it to my friends. Btw the 7" also has Shambelle on the B-side US release, that has the high hat intro cut off the Message In A Box remaster.

5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Yes I have the Outlandos VHS only release ...………….another of theirs begging for official release/transfer.
    The lack of official quality live footage/DVD's from their formative years is disappointing.
    It leads fans to create/make their own DVD's ………..such as mine from a few months ago.
    I remixed the soundtrack where possible from better sources, as my VHS deck is mono [where the cassette was stereo].
    Edited/swapped a few sections I wasn't fond of [Gateshead and Atlanta] for Essen 1980 show 2, and Oakland 1983.
    I also managed to include some from Mexico 1980 with audio from Melbourne 1981 synched to it ………….it came out OK! :D

6. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Sadly didn't see any reunion shows, did see them live on Ghost tour. As far as 40th releases, I don't see it. Hope I'm wrong. Hell a AAA vinyl box of the albums would be enough to make me happy.

jusbe, Szeppelin75 and Christopher B like this.
  7. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Knew within about ten seconds it was going to be a number one single.

8. manco

manco Forum Resident

Hearing all the work of The Police, would you say that song is the most musically ambitious that they ever got?

9. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

10. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

You forgot to mention the 5.1 blu-ray :righton:

mestreech and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I heard it on the radio when it came out. Such a great song, and the ending is just as good as the intro.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Loved it immediately - as did most people I hung with in college. Great, hooky song, yet it didn’t sound quite like anything else on the radio.

13. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

DO NOT mention the "Shambelle" error........or the fact that the studio version of "Another Day" is still not on CD officially.

jtsjc1 likes this.
  14. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

I was 8 years old and already a fan (my young uncle introduced me to them when I was 6) when ELTSDIM came out. My friend Darren and I were really excited when it came out but found it very different to their previous work. It’s a fabulous song and my kids love it as well as many other Police songs.

One of my biggest regrets was not seeing them on the reunion tour. I sold my ticket as I had heard that Sting had been dicking around with the the musical arrangements. Bad decision.

jusbe likes this.
  15. manco

manco Forum Resident

What was the reaction when Sting came out with his jazzy solo albums in the mid 80s?

16. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Me too. How original did that sound at the time and also Miss Gradenko. They stood out musically.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  17. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Yeah totally, same here. Was buying everything and studying every image and catalog number!
    When that one appeared, I thought they were from another planet musically to their 'contemporaries'
    which they were! They were steak and the rest were cheap hamburgers.

jamesc and Szeppelin75 like this.
  18. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

That version is closer to the tempo they played it at the reunion shows.

20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I just hope if they’re remastered they’ve been done well and decent pressings with cover art that isn’t a bad scan. Is that too much to ask these days? :sigh:

Christopher B likes this.
  21. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

The Sting demo from 1977 was released officially in 1997.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I remember an interview Copeland did with David letterman where he mentioned that he was going to do some jazz recording. Letterman suggested that he contact Sting if he wanted to play jazz.

Michael Rose and Szeppelin75 like this.
  23. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I love Stewart's playing, but Jazz? I'll believe that when I hear it.

Then again, Stew could attract a few great players, and maybe it would end up sounding cool. But I imagine I would feel the same way about him playing jazz as I do about Neil Peart trying to play big band.

24. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

jesus chris. How i hate having to flip a record every two-three songs.

Michael Rose likes this.
  25. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

I love the GITM half-speed cut from a couple years ago, and have been hoping Miles would cut all of the studio albums that way. This gets my hopes up. 6 slabs for $200 certainly suggests a premium (hopefully product, not just price).

Christopher B and Szeppelin75 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.