The Police - Every Move You Make: The Studio Recordings 40th anniversary collection*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Caruso65, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Guys!

That's very strange, guys.:rolleyes:

So there seems to be different DLCs out concerning the vinyl box, because mine are all tagged MfIT - also Flexible Strategies!

I bought the vinyl box on amazon Germany in December 2018 and downloaded the DLCs at the same day when I got the vinyl box.

Bye Andrea :wave:

2. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Strategies-Police/dp/B07KBY7L5S/

Flexible Strategies is streaming only here, maybe these CDs are streaming versions and thats why they are compressed and there's different downloads.
    And you cant just buy that one disk.
    Flexible Strategies indeed. But you did not fool me this time! So glad I cancelled the order.
    They are giving us more reasons never to buy music again. F* EM!

3. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

so are the better non compressed versions available on the "HD" steaming services up-sampled?

So take a good uncompressed master and stream it at a higher bitrate and purposefully stream a lower bitrate compressed version on the "regular" service.
    The bitrate wont matter, but they will fool people into thinking the HD version is better because of it!

And sell the compressed version only on CD.

Thanks Industry!

Andrea_Bellucci and BuckNaked like this.
  4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

So, just a quick follow up. I got some help analyzing the Flexible Strategies files I obtained by someone with better software :)! They are 100% lossless, so they aren't someone's home made manipulation. Listening to them with headphones, you can tell that they aren't a needle drop either. Well, if they are, it'd be one of the best I've ever heard. Regarding their origin, unfortunately that's still a mystery. The person who performed the analysis speculated that perhaps it was a Tidal download or something like that? I'm afraid we may never know unless someone who got the files originally happens to stumble upon this thread.

Andrea_Bellucci and BuckNaked like this.
  5. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Remastered @ Abbey Road with added compression, get the lesser dynamic version from Abbey Roads now! :D

6. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I think we both bought the same Made In EU 6CD set and I am not really happy with the overall sound quality either. However, oddly, Ghost In The Machine sounds fantastic to me and appears to be the star attraction in terms of SQ in the 6CD set...I really like it a lot...good tone and nice high end...it's a winner IMO. Now, the bonus disc, while more compressed than the other CDs, wasn't the horror I thought it would be...as far as I can tell, it's not brickwalled and I was able to listen to the songs OK.

The tone is off on the first two albums...I don't like how they sound at all, and it's only a little better on Zenyatta. Synchronicity needs more tone and bass, which is a running trend with many EU CDs I have bought....they are lacking in tone and bass compared to the U.S. versions.

Overall, this is a good pick up for the low price, but there are too many SQ issues with this 6CD set to recommend it.

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I've only played the Synchronicity disc so far (so many CDs, so little time!), but I actually thought the bass was very pronounced! Moreso than the MIAB version I played back in the summer. It's a very bright, too, I couldn't have it up past about 16 on my volume dial (my preferred remasters of older albums tend to be between 20-24), but I did enjoy it.I heard a lot of new (to me) things in the basslines...at one point I could clearly hear a play on the bass riff of The Beatles' Day Tripper!

EG.

Futurecity likes this.
  8. For the record (pardon the pun), while I would love expanded versions of these albums, according to reports, the master tapes for many of these r3cordings were destroyed in the Universal fire. How could a company be so irresponsible?

BobFever and Queezma like this.
  9. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I don’t know for sure...but if these records were recorded over seas wouldn’t the masters still be in the country of origin?

10. I would think so but many of them were consolidated when Universal purchased A&M.

Queezma likes this.
  11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Or listening to copytapes since the originals were lost in the Universal fire.

12. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Why compress the 24-bit version and not the 16-bit?

13. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

The 24-bit version is the one that comes with the 2018 vinyl box by digital download, while the 16-bit version is probably taken from some lossless streaming services like Spotify or Tidal. The 16-bit version is easily found in the wild, and as things stand, it is the most recommended available version.
    The reason for compressing the 24-bit and not the 16-bit stream i would gladly know myself.

JediJoker and Andrea_Bellucci like this.
  14. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

I did an a/b with Regatta De Blanc. My original copy is a pre-1992 CD and to my ears, sounds better than RDB in this boxset.

DiabloG and canonlon like this.
  15. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

RareWaves on ebay sent me this set for 20 dollars. Nice! But when it arrived, the brand-new, unopened box was missing the Flexible Strategies CD. RareWaves sent me an email stating that there was a whole batch that was missing that CD, and issued me a complete refund. I am left with a box of the five original studio albums, and for now will have to be content with the tracks from Flexible Strategies scattered over the discs of my Message in a Box set.

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

17. caprireds

caprireds Well-Known Member

someone comment in Discogs - Music Database and Marketplace

The version of "Truth Hits Everybody" on the 'Flexible Strategies' (b-sides) disc, is not actually a 'remix', but a 1983 re-recording. What's special is that this is its first, official appearance in a digital format (it wasn't included on 1993's ironically-titled "The Complete Recordings"). The drag is that the transfer is taken from vinyl. While it is nicely declicked, it suffers from heavy noise reduction and poor EQ, lacking clean high end - presumably to disguise that it is from vinyl, and not a tape source. The comparative difference in fidelity is quite evident. Worse still, the vinyl transfer is at the wrong speed, running about 2.5% too slow.

why would they remaster from vinyl ,not from the original analogue tapes ?

Andrea_Bellucci and JediJoker like this.
  18. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Maybe they cannot find the tapes and this all they got?

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  19. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

So is this new box set better or worse sounding than the "Message in a Box" set from 1993? I found the 1993 set to be noticeably brighter and less dynamic sounding than the original UK vinyl which sounds so much better to my ears.

20. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

While my opinion is in the minority here, I personally think the new set is worse than Message in a Box and the 2003 remasters. The EQ is a little warmer than MIAB, but it's much more compressed to my ears. The compression brings out distortion that makes it difficult to listen to without fatigue setting in at some point. Flexible Strategies sounds even worse than the studio albums, with the distortion being more immediately noticeable and irritating. Again, this is all JMHO, and I'm not trying to convince anyone who likes the set to start hating it. The Police are one of my favorite bands, and I guess my hopes for the box were too high.

21. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Surprised to hear it's so compressed. Aren't Abbey Road Studios usually known for quality work? I suppose it depends on the mastering engineer and the instructions he's been given.

22. CD or vinyl?

23. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

CD. Sorry for not clarifying. I've heard nothing but good things about the vinyl set, but I'm sticking with the old US CDs for now.

violetvinyl, JediJoker and Stuart S like this.
  24. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

It doesn't matter where its mastered. And this release finally puts to rest that fact.

DiabloG likes this.
  25. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Right, but theres reviews that the originals (vinyl) sound better than the new 1/2 speed remasters.
    Original vinyl and most original CD's are best (to my ears).

Andrea_Bellucci and DiabloG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.