The Police - New HD restored video collection coming soon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi!

Over the last days, on the official facebook page and youtube, HD restored videos have been posted

First, 'De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da'. Then, 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic'.
    And today, 'So Lonely'

So, I wonder if a new HD restored video is coming soon. That would be WONDERFUL!

hi_watt, J_D__, jamesc and 6 others like this.
  2. ponkine

3. ponkine

4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

All of those videos, including the one you linked to were posted 9 years ago in 2010.

what am I missing here?

[​IMG]

Carlox likes this.
  5. ponkine

The ORIGINAL videos were posted 9 years ago

Check the Police facebook page. These are brand new HD transfers. They kept the link from the same youtube that the old videos, but these are brand new HD remasters

:wave:

This was posted half an hour ago

It’s a whole weekend of anniversaries with ‘So Lonely’ released as a single 41 years ago today!

Celebrate with the new HD video: ThePolice.lnk.to/SoLonelyVid

Dflow, krimson, Elliottmarx and 6 others like this.
  6. DetroitDoomsayer

thanks, keeping the original post date is confusing.

Carlox and Chemguy like this.
  7. ponkine

Papi Hipbone323, longdist01 and Devin like this.
  8. ponkine

Papi Hipbone323, longdist01 and Devin like this.
  9. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Cool! Classics from the days when a band could make a funny little vid for pocket change. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

10. team2

team2 Forum Resident

If they're remastering all their video clips, I hope they eventually give the same treatment to Around The World and The Synchronicity Concert. :agree:

11. ponkine

Actually what I'd LOVE is a new transfer AND edit, without the 80s style of video

:righton:

Carlox and team2 like this.
  12. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Agree.
    But they are really fantastic. It would be wonderful to have all videos with the 4K treatment.

longdist01 and ponkine like this.
  13. ponkine

longdist01 and Carlox like this.
  14. ponkine

15. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Such simple yet fun videos. Those very early days of MTV are fascinating to me. In today's world of multi-million dollar vids the budget for every Police music video combined would not pay for coffee and bagels at craft service!

16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I wish they'd offer that to all of us - I have a lot of videos I'd like to re-upload, some dating back to the reduced resolution days 12 years ago. I still have all these on hard drive in full resolution.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

hopefully blu-ray or DVD!

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Nothing is coming soon as far as product, Universal is just updating a lot of their Youtube content to HD. They did some Who videos too that look amazing.

19. DetroitDoomsayer

Yeah, I'm wondering if these upgrades are being done because a lot of people are streaming youtube to their 1080p or 4k TVs.

20. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Definitely looks better than how I remembered it previously. Still looks like it was shot on Super 8, but definitely an improvement.

Interesting to see two 24-track 2” machines in the background of the control room. Never thought a simple PC running a software program (ProTools) would replace those (@ 35 seconds). And, looks like there’s a Mini Moog on top of a road case (@ 1:00). Those Mini Moogs originally cost about $1,500 in the 70’s (that’s about $7K in today’s money). Today, the Behringer Model D is a near spot-on clone for under $300. How times change...

longdist01, Suncola and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. walrus

I do it all the time. Unless the original footage was done on film (which is pretty rare for a music video or even most 80's/90's concert films) it's not like it's going to look much better than it does at maximum Youtube quality. The technology has finally caught up to where even Youtube is comparable to what you used to buy on a blu-ray.

I don't think there's enough of a market left for music video compilations at this point, so YT is your best source for them if you want to relive your youth in this way, I think.

AlienRendel likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I wish they'd let regular people go back and re-upload things. I put this video up 12 years ago, when we were limited to 320 by 240:

It's got half a million views and I don't want to lose those. I have this at 480 by 720 and would like to make it available.

Demolition Man and longdist01 like this.
  23. ponkine

That would be a real shame! too much work just for youtube upgrade and nothing else?

A DVD/Blu Ray would be a no brainer

:wave:

Carlox and longdist01 like this.
  24. walrus

What else is there that would sell more than a few dozen copies? Just no market for that kind of thing, really. (Especially since you can just watch the videos in HD already). There's still a market for new content or restored live shows and the like, like the Stones series and such, but just putting widely available 80's music videos on disc kind of became redundant in the Youtube age.

A fully restored live collection and the Synchronicity show without all the bad effects and stuff might get some attention, but that's another matter entirely.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  25. ponkine

Don't know how many copies sold the 'Greatest Hits' DVD back then, but I think there would be a lot more than a few dozen of copies for a 4K HD upgrade :righton:

BrettyD, Carlox and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.