The Police on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Oct 24, 2005.

1. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Well I finally got my Outlandos D25Y in the mail today. I ran it through EAC and it indeed exactly matches the peak levels of the red column here (D32Y3022, D32Y-3022 21, D25Y). I listened closely to CSLY around that ~ 20-50 second point into the track on both my newly obtained D25Y and my old Japan for US CSR disc multiple times. They do sound different to me with the reported patch sounding like a smoother transition if you will on the D25Y than on the Japan for US (gray column). How was it determined/confirmed that the gray column patch is from a needle drop and the red column is from a digital source patch? I am not disputing this but curious to know what evidence/reports/etc. lead to this conclusion. Thanks @ricks for such a cool and helpful thread.

PS: The sound clip that @Downsampled provided in post 1493 sounds identical to my ears for that part of the track on my D25Y.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    ricks and c-eling like this.
  2. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

This was my first time posting a link to an uploaded audio sample so I hope I did it correctly. CSLY clip from the D25Y starting at about the 20 second point into the track.

D25Y CSLY Clip.wav

3. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Thanks. I will see if we can have the posts that wrongly stated the D25Y was a the needle-drop removed.

As for the other discs being a needle-drop that seemed to be a given for decades. AS for the D25Y/D32Y/D33Y not being a needledrop, here are Nobby's original postings:

SOONERFAN likes this.
  4. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I assume that after listening to the clip I posted, you concur that it is clearly not the needle drop patch, yes? Sorry to be so obsessive about this.

5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yep its a match to the D32Y. Thanks for using Zippy makes it so easy to retrieve :)

SOONERFAN likes this.
  6. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I see where the Planeta Augostina cd for Zenyatta is highly recommended. Is that true of other Police titles and in general, what are your experience with this label for other artists?

7. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Never hard of the label before and until this thread I see only 2 scant passing references on this forum which to me implies very very obscure. "Planeta Agostini" site:stevehoffman.tv

The Planeta Zenyata is recommend so far by merely a tiny 2 posters/members. While the excellent 2014 SHM-SACD/SHM-CD is highly recommended by many!

Myself I have an open mind so I have ordered a copy. Once I have it I will compare to the excellent 2014 SHM and let my opinion be known.

My strongest recommendation is if you can find the near reference level 2014 SHM near it's original prices, is to grab it. As I recall the original SHM-CD cost was approx $28, the Plat SHM was $38, and the SHM-SACD was $44

8. Instant Karma

Ok thanks ricks. I am very curious as to your findings once you receive it. My guess is that it is a much more reasonable alternative to the Japanese recommendations. Depending on systems, it may be a viable alternative.

9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thanks for biting the bullet on this one to do the comparison! My hat's off to you :targettiphat:! Since I recently purchased the Flexible Strategies CD box, I've been going back to visit some of the better titles in the Japanese SHM series. I'm going to have a hard time believing that I need anything else besides the 2014 SHM-SACD of Zenyatta Mondatta. I was fortunate enough to pick up an EX copy of the original issue (in the white box) from a forum member for $30!

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I will also post fair use 30 second samples so folks may make their own determinations without having to pay for expensive freight.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    dartira, Instant Karma, jhm and 2 others like this.
  11. ripleyspurs

ripleyspurs Member

Hi just received all the police cds from eBay all good apart from a strange anomaly. Reggatta has a cda 64792 code nimbus mastering. But the cd itself mentions mid127 code and according to Discogs if the cd has this it should have mid127 on the case as well. Is this just the wrong cd in the case or a&m packagingerror. Anyone else have one like this.

12. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Could be the art wasn't re-done (cheap & lazy) to match the disc manufacturing.
    I get a chuckle when ebay sellers are hyping up 'Made In Japan' that was carried over from the old Sony art when it's clearly a US :laugh:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    bmoregnr likes this.
  13. ripleyspurs

ripleyspurs Member

Yer that’s what I was thinking as well. Anyway got all five albums for a tenner. Outlandos 394 783 2
    Reggatta CDA 64792
    Zenyatta CDA64831
    Ghost 393 730 2
    Sync CDA 63735
    From looking around the net it seems Reggatta is a 1992 issue made by nimbus in the uk. From what I understand by reading the forum this shares the same mastering as the earlier cds as we didn’t get the remasters in uk until 2003 am I right in thinking this.
    Saying that though I have seen cd mid 127 with the correct artwork on Discogs so maybe mines an early one before they changed the cover

14. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

One way to more or less date those Nimbus discs is to examine the mirror band around the clear hub.

The earlier ones (until 1988?) have a broad dark band and are completely smooth at the playing side from center to edge. The later ones don't have that wide band and have a feelable ridge around the clear hub.

Another method, which I learned the hard way, is to wash them with water and soap. If you're unlucky the earlier ones up til at least 1990 will have water seeping under the transparent label until it peels off!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Devin, Yost, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  15. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Just starting to dig into this thread, god help me :p

16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

As promised:
    Sample1
    Sample2
    Sample3

Peak Levels do not match any other for the album that I have seen. Appears to be a unique mastering.

I will post my opinions soon-ish. Is there a demand for fair use 25 second samples from the Plat SHM-CD?

Updated Chart [Warning! If you do not like charts, Look Away, Look Away Now! Avert Your Eyes NOW!] :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

:laugh:

Amen. You said it man. This is getting to Pink Floyd levels of criteria.

But it is actually helpful if you find the peak level charts. (IF you can find them).

18. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

I recently bought the Outlandos D25Y and compared it with the MIAB. Very smooth and clear with none of the tendency towards shrillness that I've heard on some of the other recommended Police releases. Another AM+ win.

I also compared the MFSL and SACD UIGY-15031 Synchronicity. They're near enough in volume and sound to make no difference. While the MFSL is on the 'bad MoFi list', I like its depth of sound, but also the greater clarity of the SACD. IMO it is just a question of preference for either of those.

19. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Ok, catching up ... (thanks ricks, for the matrix pictures and summery post on p58! Priceless ... I finally have a ZM SHM on the way. Shouldn't have waited so long ...) I'm clear that these are all the same: D25Y/D32Y/D33Y for OD'A, and have CSLY patched from the EBYT comp. Is the tape drag at the beg of Roxanne on all CDs? Or the D25Y/D32Y/D33Y discs are good in that regard too? (Or, need Roxanne from the EBYT comp ...)

ricks likes this.
  20. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Yeah, I think you would need EBYT to get Roxanne without the tape drag. Hole in My Life also has tape drag at the beginning, but unfortunately, the 2003 and 2019 remasters are the only versions that fixed it.

kevin5brown likes this.
  21. Instant Karma

Hi Ricks,
    How did you like the Planeta Agostini disc?

22. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Been so busy last month, I actually forgot all about reporting back. I'll get a review up this weekend.

DiabloG and dartira like this.
  23. Instant Karma

Ok no worries. I was just curious.

24. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Folks, make that next weekend. In the few hours I'll be home this weekend, I'm going sit back, reflect and spin RUSH. Neil was my favorite all-time drummer, and many of his lyrics were an "important" part of my teen years.

25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

For those folks awaiting my review, have not had a chance to write it up yet but as a preview; It is my opinion if you have the SHM-CD or SHM-SACD do not spend your currency on the Planeta. That said I posted samples a few posts back - always best to form one's own opinions.

Fresh 20 sec sample links - as previous links expired:
    sample1
    sample2
    sample3

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    SOONERFAN likes this.