"The porpoise is waiting" - HEAD by The Monkees: 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

And the next best song is Can You Dig It?, which as far as releases went Peter Tork was 2 for 2 in great songs written even if Micky sang them.

D-rock likes this.
  2. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

A great 45 with a cool sleeve just like the album cover.

JuanTCB and Guy Smiley like this.
  3. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I am a huge fan of Nesmith's songs, both what he wrote and sang but the alternate version of Daddy's Song, I didn't like as much as Davy's version. One reason was that by the time I heard it, the "old timey" vocals had been done a number of times by Nez. I was OK with them but I certainly enjoyed his regular vocals, especially back during the original run. Daddy's Song is also my favorite Nilsson contribution to the Monkees too. The song in the movie, with the dancing, certainly adds to it and now when I listen to it, that is what comes to mind, so maybe that is why I enjoy it so much. For most songs, Saginaw, is an example, I usually prefer Nez.

4. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I've always thought "Can You Dig It" should have been the 45 they put out instead of DW Washburn. I'm sure they could have edited a shorter 45 version for radio.

AlmanacZinger, D-rock and JamieC like this.
  5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

For my money, Jones gets the nod for Daddy's Song and My Share of the Sidewalk.

Hadean75 and FJFP like this.
  6. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

His versions of those are certainly good. Of course, since Davy carries the dance scene in HEAD, it’s only fair that he sings it. He does a fine job, on any of the various takes he did. I especially like the movie version, with the semi-spoken line.

And “Sidewalk” is great regardless of who sings it. One of those “Why the hell did this sit for over 20 years?” songs (The Monkees had far too many of those). I lean Nez, I guess, since he wrote it... But either is great.

Actually, Davy’s take on “Nine Times Blue” doesn’t suck either. But, for that one, I gotta go Nez all the way.

Hadean75, FJFP and D-rock like this.
  7. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

Maybe if they gave Peter the A-side he would have stayed a little longer like the Beatles gave George the A-side for Something.

8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

pobbard, Hadean75, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  9. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

This is a clip I show to people who only know the common misinformation about the Monkees. To a person, they've all been blown away. Brilliant song, beautiful performance.

10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Agreed.

11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I always love Jones' smile in that clip. It just radiates "You all know this song is good. And, yes, it's by us. The Monkees! :nyah: "

Guy Smiley, Hadean75, DaveJ and 2 others like this.
  12. SJB

Then again, "Something" was basically a posthumous single, released two months after the Beatles' last-ever session as a quartet. They couldn't even be bothered to gather in one place to shoot the promo film.

I don't think Peter left the Monkees because he didn't get A-sides. He said he left because they were no longer truly a band.

Guy Smiley and D-rock like this.
  13. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I've always dug Davy's harmony and those bass notes he reached. I wished Micky's high parts could have been mixed a little louder

14. SJB

I know, you can't really hear Micky too well. But it looks like they were singing live, probably into a boom mic just out of shot, so mixing wasn't likely an option.

D-rock and Hall Cat like this.
  15. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I just listened to this on Spotify the other day (driving, so no access to wax, obviously). There were some pretty wacky alternate versions - wasn't totally sure that it wasn't actually the "alternate" Head LP that got released a few years back. Ditty Diego has no varispeed, no War Chant at all, live Circle Sky in place of the studio version, a bizarre arrangement of Daddy's Song that I remember from the super deluxe box. Quite curious, and was actually a pretty cool listen!

16. SJB

Sounds almost like the end of disc 3 of Music Box. That box set had a unique edit of "Daddy's Song," with the slow verse but without the band sputtering to a halt like on the super deluxe set.

Mainspark and D-rock like this.
  17. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

When did you first hear this album?
    Bought the Rhino vinyl reissue in the mid/late 80s as a US import in Tower Records in London.

What did you think?
    Hated the studio version of Circle Sky and didn't like that Daddy's Song was different to the movie version either, with Davy singing the spoken word part. I also plundered the album for samples for my school band.

Has this opinion changed at all?
    No, but at least now with all the other versions available I have the Head I want.

How many copies of this album do you have?
    Rhino vinyl
    Rhino CD
    Rhino Handmade Box Set
    Plus a UK 7" of Porpoise Song.

mBen989 likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Oh forgot about that version, gonna take a listen.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Great album. Short enough not to seem like a waste of time. Long Title is the only Tork vocal I tolerate. (Besides Griselda).

Got cassette in 1987 (Rhino) and found the Rhino LP in 1991. Got CD in 1994-5. Cd is all I have left although I listen to discs one and two of the box on YouTube

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Question - I got restless and decided to order the 2011 vinyl from Amazon (as if I needed another copy). I expected RTI pressing, got made in EU version. Any difference between the two?

21. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I was in eighth grade and purchased the single and album upon release.

At first my young mind was perplexed at the "stuff" thrown in with the 6 Monkee songs and the overall short playing time of the album.

All these years later, I still play it regularly and it remains my 2nd favorite album by the Prefab four.

Have owned:
    LP
    Expanded Rhino CD
    Rhino Box.

boggs, Guy Smiley and mBen989 like this.
  22. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Jack Nicholson, well-known music impresario, put the soundtrack album together, which explains it being a mess. Personally, I love the Monkees, but any of the albums after Birds and Bees are pretty weak with maybe a good song or two tops on any of them.

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

When did you first hear this album?
    A little later than the other stuff. For some reason I dragged my feet on it a little, maybe because there were so few actual ones on it. I knew Porpoise Song from Monkee Business. I think I bought a used cassette late 80s. Maybe even early 90s.

What did you think?
    I love all the songs but it's really only half an album with movie sounds. I was put off at first but now enjoy the entire experience, like watching the movie with your record player.

Has this opinion changed at all?
    Yes, like it better as time passes. As a whole it's my 2nd favorite Monkees album after Pisces, but it contains at least 3 of my very favorite Monkees cuts.

How many copies of this album do you have?
    Tape
    80s Rhino Vinyl
    2011 Rhino Vinyl
    Friday Music Alternative
    94 CD
    3 CD deluxe

D-rock and mBen989 like this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.