The Power of Myth, Joseph Campbell

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ando here, Oct 31, 2017.

1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

You mean polemecists. I don't think Kafka or Orwell fall into that category in their fiction. What's the relationship between myth and polemic? Is there one? The strictly contemporary does seem to be the domain of myth.

Hightops likes this.
  2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Oh, the chances... I had a three-day storytelling course this week and the "Hero's Journey" ate up almost the entire first day alone. Task until the next (and final) day of the course in december is to analyze a movie of choice with this model. Looking forward to that :)

Need to watch the series, I've been meaning to for a while now.

ando here likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'll haveta get back to ya.

ando here likes this.
  4. ando here

At the risk of seeming to patronize (fairly pointless) check out these kids who tackle how what myths are (and are not) and how they continue to inform and influence our consciousness. Worth a once over.

5. ando here

Episode 1: The Hero's Adventure

NickySee and macdaddysinfo like this.
  6. ando here

Episode 6: Masks of Eternity

Steve Minkin likes this.
  7. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

Great stuff here! I have some catching up to do.

It's probably been 40 years or so since I last read or watched Campbell, but he was huge for us in the 60s and 70s, led us into Jung and Hillman, and stayed with us. I was always struck by how people from all backgrounds and interests could immediately plug into what he was saying, classical Platonists, garage band rockers, farmers . . . And -- just to dip a toe into one of the conversations I caught zipping through the thread -- mythmaking goes on all the time today, in kitchens and on televisions all over the world.

Here's a bit of Hillman -- much of my group who traveled through Campbell also learned from him:

"By soul I mean, first of all, a perspective rather than a substance, a viewpoint toward things rather than a thing itself.
    This perspective is reflective; it mediates events and makes differences between ourselves and everything that
    happens. Between us and events, between the doer and the deed, there is a reflective moment -- and soul-making
    means differentiating this middle ground.

It is as if consciousness rests upon a self-sustaining and imagining substrate -- an inner place or deeper person or
    ongoing presence -- that is simply there even when all our subjectivity, ego, and consciousness go into eclipse. Soul
    appears as a factor independent of the events in which we are immersed. Though I cannot identify soul with anything
    else, I also can never grasp it apart from other things, perhaps because it is like a reflection in a flowing mirror, or like
    the moon which mediates only borrowed light. But just this peculiar and paradoxical intervening variable gives one the
    sense of having or being soul. However intangible and indefinable it is, soul carries highest importance in hierarchies
    of human values, frequently being identified with the principle of life and even of divinity.

In another attempt upon the idea of soul I suggest that the word refers to that unknown component which makes
    meaning possible, turns events into experiences, is communicated in love, and has a religious concern. These four
    qualifications I had already put forth some years ago. I had begun to use the term freely, usually interchangeably with
    psyche (from Greek) and anima (from Latin). Now I am adding three necessary modifications. First, soul refers to the
    deepening of events into experiences; second, the significance soul makes possible, whether in love or in religious
    concern, derives from its special relation with death. And third, by soul I mean the imaginative possibility in our
    natures, the experiencing through reflective speculation, dream, image, fantasy -- that mode which recognizes all
    realities as primarily symbolic or metaphorical."

James Hillman -- Re-Visioning Psychology

Looking forward to enjoying some of the clips here! Thanks!!

MagicAlex, NickySee and ando here like this.
  8. ando here

Episode 4: Sacrifice and Bliss

It's probably the most quoted and misunderstood of all the episodes.

9. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Transformations of Myth Through Time Episode 13. Noble Heart: Courtly Love of Tristan & Isolde

Steve Minkin and trd like this.
  10. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    It's "Green Knight Day' here in the U.S. with the July 31st release of the David Lowery film. I've always liked Joseph Cambell's retelling of the old myth (in the post above). Strange, but not surprising, that Lowery chose to omit "Gawain" in the title, people seemingly obsessed with comic book monsters and superheroes these days. The release also piqued my interest in the 1973 Stephen Weeks film version of the tale.

[​IMG]

Then, of course, there's the 1991 John Michael Phillips tv version which someone kindly uploaded on YouTube.

[​IMG]

The '73 version is apparently a send up of the story while the '91 version is more straightforward.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  11. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Finding Joe (2011, Patrick Takaya Solomon)
    An exploration of the studies of famed mythologist Joseph Campbell.

Ghostworld and MagicAlex like this.
  12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Amazing series!

NickySee likes this.
  13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I probably enjoyed Thor comic books a lot more after reading Campbell, or else I'm just weird for goat-drawn chariots.

Ghostworld and NickySee like this.
  14. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

This is the kind of show you pause, rewind, scribble down quotes from, and look up transcripts of on the web so you can cut and paste parts if it into your journal.

A treasure.

NickySee likes this.
  15. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Episode 2: The Message of the Myth

rmath84 likes this.
  16. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Update. Repost. Episode 2 is one of the more explict myth defining episodes in the series.

17. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Someone uploaded Joseph Campbell's final 13 lectures which are a kind of companion series to the PBS/Moyers series. It involves the same essential material but the lectures allow Campbell to proceed at a different clip than the dialogues and go a bit deeper into the mythic associations between various human societies. The episode above is #8 in the series, Kundalini Yoga Part 1. He breaks down the basics of yoga - not necessarily its practice but its psychology - in terms the average "Westerner" can understand and appreciate.
    Full series playlist

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Loved the PBS series. Recently found a copy of his Myths To Live By book, need to put it on my nightstand.

In 1966 my father was in D.C. getting orientation for a job that was to take our family to Thailand; as part of that, he attended a day-long seminar with Joseph Campbell about Southeast Asian culture. Dad was extremely impressed; and when the series with Moyers came on PBS, we watched every episode.

longdist01, NickySee and Ghostworld like this.
  19. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Repost. Everyone needs to hear this every once in a while.

primejive and longdist01 like this.
  20. Other than Youtube clips that seem to come and go, does anyone know where this can be found for streaming or download?

21. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Both Appletv and Amazon have it streaming for about $12 for the entire series.

primejive likes this.
  22. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Well, the entire series is up on The Tube in good form. Let's hope it stays a while.

full playlist

23. Pointless Music trivia...This was the basis of an aborted Rush epic

24. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Absolutely worth a rewatch. Glad to see it back.

NickySee likes this.
  25. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Not so sure the parsing is that neat or, sorry, politically lazy?

Without diving in too deep, I do think Campbell believed in Myth as a component of the "Spiritus Mundi"?