The Pre-War Blues and Country Music thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Sep 4, 2015.

1. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

This looks excellent!!

Let's remind one another on May 16th because I just know I'm going to forget and I don't want to miss this!

gotblues, drgn95 and Kevin55 like this.
  2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Yes it was! (Very good). But I just could not warm up to the sound, there is something very wrong with the sound.
    And what is even stranger is that all the songs on that calendar CD 'sound' like each other! It's like their sonic personalities have been replaced by some thing 'robotic'
    Now, the best sounding 78 transfers I've ever heard, and they are stunning, are the latest Robert Johnson Sony Centennial Leg y issue. I have never heard remastered 78's sound that scary good.Beave

Exile On My Street and Kevin55 like this.
  3. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

4. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Here's the website for info on the American Epic releases and pre-order links.

American Epic

5. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

AMERICAN EPIC: The Collection gathers 100 of these original recordings from the 1920s and 1930s in one five-disc set,

[​IMG]

6. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

These titles are available from Third Man Records for $20.00

[​IMG]

gotblues likes this.
  7. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Just a reminder that American Epic premiers tonight on PBS. I'll be tuning in.

beccabear67, Kevin55, Mark J and 2 others like this.
  8. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

Just going through this excellent thread, over the past couple of years it has inspired me to dig out albums and purchase some new items (especially early banjo music that has become a recent obsession), thank you all.

The only alternative for Muddy's LOC recordings I know is an old LP "Down on Stovall's Plantation" on the Testament label. It came out in 1966 and was still in print in the late 1980s so used copies should be around. Not all the tracks on the MCA cd, but it has the best in better sound (but not perfect - these are field recordings from 1941/42). I listen to it frequently.

9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

10 minutes to start here (Detroit PBS channel). :tiphat:

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

What I meant that some significant percentage of audience that watches "all things PBS" whether they know the subject or not, will be watching the news. So many people that might have been reached and learned about this music for the first time, will be missed

Fender Relic likes this.
  11. beccabear67

Three pairs of eyes on PBS here, take that Anderson, Don and Wolf! :cool:

It's a good thing I like Nas though, if they'd got M.C.Hammer to discuss The Memphis Jug Band... or Snoopity Diggy Dawg whoever... well, it just wouldn't have been a quality cultural program anymore, y'all. Lots of graduates from the Buddy Ebsen school of dance (ye doogies) in the old footage, but one cat was up there with Jesco White!

Fender Relic likes this.
  12. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Thanks, just switched it on!

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Just for historical perspective, though this was a KKK/John Birch Society circular of the 1950's

[​IMG]

ruben lopez, dalem5467 and Jackie P like this.
  14. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

So, was the 1st episode good?
    It is in the recorder, but won't have time to watch it before week-end.

15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I liked it OK. My favorite parts were the interviews with A.P. Carter's grandson,Charlie Musselwhite,and the Taj Mahal snippets. The older footage of Maybelle and Sara on guitar and autoharp is great!

16. fredhammersmith

Deep into Good As I Been To You and and World Gone Wrong these days.
    Programming other versions (Lonnie Johnson, Patsy Cline, John Lee Hooker, Ray Charles, Eric Gibb) amongst Dylan's versions.
    Beautiful music.

drift, Carserguev and Spadeygrove like this.
  17. fredhammersmith

Hey, this is great sounding for a 1928 recording. RCA?

Spadeygrove likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

Recorded for Victor, which was sold to RCA in 1929 and became RCA Victor in 1946.

Mark J, gotblues and Spadeygrove like this.
  19. fredhammersmith

This is intense!
    And of course it was used on the great O Brother Where Art Thou. Did not know it came from the 20s. Serious dude.

Mr. H, PonceDeLeroy and Marzz like this.
  20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

There's a great a capella version of that in the movie Songcatcher. The movie is well worth seeing.

drift and Marzz like this.
  21. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

That track is actually from the 1960s when Dock Boggs was "rediscovered". Great track! The 2 CD "Dock Boggs - His Folkway Years 1963 - 1968" (Smithsonian Folkways, 1998) is worth having for sure.

He originally recorded in 1927 and 1929 and these imo are even better!
    If you don't already have it, I bet you'd dig the CD Revenant put out in 1997...

Dock Boggs - Country Blues: Complete Early Recordings (1927-29)

There's no 1920's recording of "Oh Death" but you get his 1927 recording of this :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  22. fredhammersmith

Went to Amazon to look up the Revenant CD. The prices are crazy, this must be very tough to find. 450$-950$!! He would never have been able to buy a copy !

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Marzz likes this.
  24. beccabear67

There was a second craze for Dock Boggs some time in the fairly recent past. I remember how he was the latest new old rediscovery and suddenly featured in some magazines and books around that time. 1980s or '90s. Interesting he was discovered in the '60s too. :cool:

There are at least two 'Songcatcher' CDs, not all tracks from the movie but sort of inspired like those O Brother/O Sister spin-off ones. There's a nice duet of Dolly Parton and Emmy Rossum as mother and daughter on one that wasn't in the film.

drift and Marzz like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

His name instantly attracts notice. If his name was Sam Williams, he might still be overlooked.