The Pretenders opening for Journey (-Steve Perry, obviously)?!?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

The Pretenders' first album is one of the best debuts ever in my opinion, but overall I like Journey much more. And Arnel Pineda is a very good frontman who has been with the band 12 years now. They've done two studio albums with Pineda, too. Aside from Pineda, Journey still has two founding members (Neal Schon and Ross Valory), and two members from their most important line-ups, whose tenures started in 1978 (Steve Smith) and 1980 (Jonathan Cain).

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Oh, there is respect. It's just a different thing going on musically. Dylan's set was short (he was tired of dodging tequila bottles, etc.) and it was in San Francisco (Santana's hometown...)

3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Yeas indeed!
    Brans on the road, just wait a few years when they perfect holograms, it’s already happening but they haven’t perfected it yet.
    Wanna see the Beatles roof top concert in person?
    It’s coming soon!
    Beave

kronning likes this.
  4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The Journey and Kiss bashing here is beyond old. Get a new hobby.

5. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

It's worth going just to see Pineda. Also, Pretenders might be cooler, and their first album might be better than any one Journey album (debatable) but Journey has a more consistent body of work.

Also, Elvis Costello opening for Huey Lewis would work or great since many of the people in those two bands played together on My Aim is True!!

6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Hope they are paid well

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

They opened some of the shows on the Journey/Def Leppard tour in 2018. so this is nothing new, Chrissie has an early night and a nice check, Similar to Cheap Trick opening for a bunch of bands I can't stand the last 5 or 6 years. They did open for ZZ Top this summer at a shed about 5 miles from my house, but new tires and brakes kicked that budget item to the curb.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Cachiva, Matthew Tate and TaumpyTears like this.
  8. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

WHY WASN'T I CONSULTED?

9. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

Steve Smith still with Journey? I thought he left.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

IT HURTS TO READ THIS. But...She's working and maybe making new fans. And as has been pointed out, probably getting a good paycheck.

11. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Only Elvis and Sean Hopper, the only current News member left from Clover. Huey didn't play on it

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Not at all, it’s all considered classic rock.
    Look at all the years The Beatles and The Stones were ripped off and left for dead by the companies and managers, their finally able to get the money they should have gotten back in the day.

do you guys realize that in their original heyday, the Beatles were making PENNIES
    ON. THEIR album sales, while Capitol, EMI made literally millions while the Beatles busted their asses doing concerts for a couple of thousand, not millions, a couple of thousands of dollars.

I don’t dig what’s going on, but I understand it and am not going to diss the bands for doing it. It’s just sad it has to go down this way but then I think of Jimi, Janis, Otis, and so many others that died at the sheer greed of their managers and labels who fed them drugs and **** until they died, and then didn’t think twice about raping their catalogs........

Chrissie must need the money, so more power to her, me, I’ll stay home and blast Montroses debut album, the only thing Sammy done right vocally.
    Beave

13. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Not the real Pretenders. Not even close. Not even the second halfway decent Pretenders.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

He came back a few years ago, when their previous drummer got in some major legal trouble, and has stuck around, despite at the time saying it was a limited engagement. I think he said he would do it for 2 years, but it seems indefinite at this point.

15. davers

davers Forum Resident

Does anyone know if Martin Chambers is still in the band? He's come and gone a couple of times over the years.

16. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

They made more than that touring. For instance, the band's take from the 1965 Shea Stadium concert was reportedly $160K - that's $1,288,000 in today's money. Of course, the 95% top-income-bracket 'supertax' in the UK was the real income killer. Ouch.

Back to Pretenders and Journey... :)

GoodKitty likes this.
  17. jrnyfn

jrnyfn Forum Resident

I was actually thinking, "why would Journey let such a crap band open for them?" And, no, I'm not trolling nor joking.

18. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

They opened up for Journey and Def Leppard at Comerica two summers ago

19. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Of course. But there are many who never saw the finale or necessarily cared about the show who have still heard/listened to Journey otherwise over the last 40+ years. More play overall because of The Sopranos but don't think that explains the entirety of it - more them being one of the biggest bands of that particular style of rock and that particular era.

20. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I was gonna go see The Pretenders last year but tickets were too steep for me. I love them but don't see them as a top tier band.

I like Journey alright but do they really bring in the crowds without Perry? People still can't be all obsessed with "the song that ended the Sopranos".... :D

21. Detroit Rock Citizen

Actually Journey is 4/5 of the Escape line up. If you close your eyes you won't even know it's Arnel Pineda

22. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

He's been with the band the last few years - would imagine he will be for this tour.

Rockford & Roll and davers like this.
  23. Detroit Rock Citizen

3o,000 + at Comerica along with Def Leppard and THE PRETENDERS

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Detroit Rock Citizen

Martin Chambers was there along with Chrissie and guess what, the didn't do Brass in Pocket

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. The Cat 3

The Cat 3 Forum Resident

Does Chrissie know about this?

How did her agent sell her on this one?

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.