The Pretenders opening for Journey (-Steve Perry, obviously)?!?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit Warehouse

Biscuit Warehouse Forum Resident

2 great bands but Journey can draw (and have always drawn) a bigger crowd so i don’t see the problem.

To me, Journey without Steve Perry is like Styx without Dennis DeYoung. Their replacements are great, but it’s not the real deal, and I’m not gonna spend $400 for me and Mrs. Warehouse to watch the backup quarterback play in an oldtimers game.

I got to see the original Pretenders lineup twice. :pineapple:

2. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

Saw the Pretenders in late July at a medium sized outdoor venue in Massachsetts. It was Chrissy Hynde, Martin Chambers, and a couple of young kids, one of whom was absolutely shredding it on guitar. The band had a blast, and so did evryone else. Chrissy was in fine voice. A great show.

3. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Love both of these bands and seen them many times. This doesn't come down to who is better or who rocks harder but to who sells more tickets. The fact is Journey sells more tickets. Their big hits have remained more popular over the years than The Pretenders. That's just a fact. Not saying those hits are better mind you. The fact that 4 classic members are still there and Arnel nails those vocals is icing on the cake. Chrissie, Martin, and company DO bring it! If I could pick the setlist, I would rather see them hands down. This is a great bill. While older, both bands still kill it.

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Package tours are a lot of what keeps Live Nation running. It's the era, not the musical style that matters.

Joan Jett opened for Styx last year.

5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The Journey brand name is strong now. The surge in popularity of the band, aided largely by Don't Stop Believin', appears to have struck quite a few younger folks, and if you are a 30-year old who just got into the band and love their music, you are going to go see them. And most don't care if the original singer is there or not; all they see is "Journey" and they are there.

bataclan2002 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

joan and tommy shaw are friends from what I recall

7. Matthew Tate

isn't chrissie and someone in journey good friends?

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Okay then.

Have Joan open for Chrissie, and have Styx open for Journey.

All problems solved... ;)

Bill Diercks and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Well, Steve Perry is a vegetarian.

And maybe no one told Chrissie that he is not fronting the band anymore... :shrug:

10. Matthew Tate

I thought it was cain or schon she is friends with. funny, not you, but people think all of the industry musicians aren't friends

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Would make sense for me, but both Joan and the Pretsnders seem to be in the official B-band rotation. (So are Cheap Trick, who are so much better than all the bands they open for).

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Well at least The News would know the songs to Elvis's first album cold! Huey could play harmonica on Allison!

davers and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Oh, yes. Economically, though, all of the bands are making the right decision.

15. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Ugh compelling is pushing it.. Solid maybe.

17. Detroit Rock Citizen

I get what you're saying but sometimes you have to remove the cancer to survive.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Detroit Rock Citizen

The was quite the mixture at Comerica (baseball stadium in Detroit) but the overwhelming percentage were couples in their 40s and 50s . A lot of men got laid that night.

19. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Those must be two albums they did with Frank Zappa that I never heard of.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I don’t know much about the Pretenders, but what is it about Chrissie Hynde that seemingly she would inherently balk at playing with a band like Journey? People’s minds seem to be blown.

zebop likes this.
  21. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I was poking around this morning trying to find an interview where either band addressed how the pairing came about. Couldn’t find anything specific, although I’m sure it will come out soon.

What I did find was a story announcing the tour, and a quote (“y’know?”) by Hynde. It doesn’t give a date for the quote, but I’m assuming it’s either from promotion of this tour, or at least somewhat recent:

Pretenders leader Chrissie Hynde told us that although rock n’ roll is an incredibly important part of her life, being a full-time mother helps her keep things in perspective: “This is, like, my hobby. I mean, I take it seriously and everything, but y’know, I just feel like a guy that goes out on the weekends to watch birds, y’know? Take my binoculars away, y’know, and it would break my heart. Y’know, I think a hobby is real important to people, if it’s the thing you love the most. It can’t take over your life. And I don’t want to be glib about it, y’know? I think this is fantastic, and I make my living out of it, and it’s my life’s work and everything, y’know? But I have to keep it in perspective, ’cause I’ve got. . . y’know, I’m like a responsible mother and stuff.”​

Journey & The Pretenders set for massive 2020 tour | KSHE 95

To be really, really clear, I’m writing something into her quote that might not be there, but I interpret that in relation to this tour as she gets to go out and play, but doesn’t have the headache of being in charge of a headlining tour. No worries about stage sets, booking issues, etc. She simply joins what will likely be really well-attended shows on a big tour. All the joy of playing to big audiences without the stress of being in charge.

22. Matthew Tate

huh?

23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

It's a joke. I like the Pretenders, but the only way I'd think that they have two albums that are leagues better than anything Journey did is if they had something like two albums with Frank Zappa that I was previously unaware of.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Pretenders opened up for Phil Collins overseas a couple years ago. A paid gig is a gig

ARK, Matthew Tate and ConnieGuitar like this.
  25. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Given Chrissie and Martin Chambers are the only two living members from the original line-up and are in the touring band today, a moot point

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.