The Pretty Things-"Parachute"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I love this album! It is one of my all-time favorites. Any comments on the best version or the album in general?

2. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I think that this is the best release from The Pretty Things, although "S.F. Sorrow" and their psych singles are not far behind. If I remember correctly, "Parachute" was named "Album Of The Year" in 1970, by Rolling Stone magazine. I have the gold CD version of this title, released in the UK by Snapper Records in 2000; however I think that the mastering is the same as the regular issued Snapper disc. The original on Edsel may still be around the house, I'll have to check.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

3. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

This was the first PT album that I heard on good ol' WABX in Detroit way back when. It has remained my favorite, too. They used to constantly play Cries from the Midnight Circus, Sickle Clowns and She's a Lover. I still have my old LP but also bought the Snapper (non-gold disc) a couple years back. It sounds fine and has 6 bonus tracks to boot.

I got a copy of the mono SF Sorrow that Snapper issued a few years back, as well. It was quite shocking to hear after so many years of listening to the stereo LP. The live version of that piece with Arthur Brown doing narration is pretty cool, too.

Although not as strong as Parachute, I always enjoyed Freeway Madness, too. Releases after that point were spotty, though.

Cheers,
    Chris

4. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Bought it way back when, on RARE EARTH records. This is a real treat for anyone that hasn't heard it as yet. Critically praised but seldom heard.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I think Repertoire Recods has overhauled their catalog...

6. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Yes Repertoire has overhauled it, but I still think that the Snapper remasters kick the Reps **** - I know you dig EROC's work, but comparing the gold (Stereo) disc to the recent Rep shows how much no-noising he applied. Not a bad sounding disc by any means, just not as great. (I am speaking about S.F Sorrow here, but I want to give the total two thumbs up for Parachute - a mother of an album!!)

7. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Go for the Snapper!

8. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I have the Edsel CD of both "Parachute" & "S.F. Sorrow" and am quite happy. Having said that, I realize it does you no good since both are OOP.

9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The Snapper CD is excellent, but if vinyl is what you are seeking, try to get a original Harvest pressing. The Rare Earth pressing is terrible in comparison. Does anyone know if the Snapper Vinyl LP reissue of the Mono SF Sorrow was mastered from a digital source? I've compared it to EMI UK original and it sounds like the top end has digit hash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.