THE PRISONER turns 50 Today (Sep 29, 2017) *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason W, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of the fun things about being in Portmeirion is that it feels like a world on its own. It feels even more like that when cropped, edited, and filmed out of locational order for the show. But the weather is definitely Wales. I love it there. McGoohan had used it earlier as a Mediterranean setting in Danger Man.

2. team2

team2 Forum Resident

My first visit there was amazing. It was as if I had stepped through the TV screen right into the series. I've been there three times total. For American fans of the show, it's definitely worth visiting!

stereoptic, Big Pasi, alexpop and 3 others like this.
  3. Jason W

Agreed! I've also visited three times so far. The best way is to stay in one of the houses inside the Village. All the day-trippers leave early and you have the whole place to yourself to explore from evening until gates open again the next day. Usually I'm the only one wandering around after dinner and in the early morning to take photographs. Magical place!

Some links to my photos posted on Spy Vibe:
    SpyVibe: PORTMEIRION PHOTOGRAPHY 1
    SpyVibe: PORTMEIRION PHOTOGRAPHY
    and The Prisoner's London flat
    SpyVibe: FILMING THE PRISONER

4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Not just for Italy. This is from the 1st season episode "Find and Return".

[​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Jason W

Here are some screenshots from various Danger Man missions :)

The Danger Man Website

longdist01 likes this.
  6. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've often thought about visiting, and your post renewed my interest. Have you (or anyone else reading) ever been there for a Six of One convention?

Very beautiful photography, by the way!

Jason W and longdist01 like this.
  7. Orangefield

Orangefield Forum Resident

Curmudgeonly Welsh poet of great repute RS Thomas lived in Portmerion for a while, a piece of trivia that never fails to amuse me somehow. He seemed to spend much of his life trying to escape from something or other too.

sharedon likes this.
  8. Django

Django Forum Resident

I have the DVD boxset. It's quiet a strange show for it's time....or any time.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah I have the dvd box. The blu ray packaging is a paltry thing.

10. Jason W

Thanks for checking out my photographs! It's so fun to explore that place and take photos- lots of trails and walking opportunities, too. I haven't been there during the Six of One conventions; I've tended to like spending a quiet week there without the extra crowds, but gathering with fellow fans would also be fun. The Village rooms also have a 24-hr Prisoner channel on the TV, so you can watch the show and see the locations right outside your window if you want :)

11. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I, too, avoided any conventions, opting to visit there when it was quieter. It makes it easier to lose yourself in the place as you wander the grounds. Here are some of my pics from my last trip in 2013:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jriems, Big Pasi, wayne66 and 3 others like this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]

chacha likes this.
  13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

be seeing you

Jason W and longdist01 like this.
  14. dougotte

Nice photos! It seems pretty deserted. Are there many other visitors there? Do you stay on premises?

team2 likes this.
  15. team2

team2 Forum Resident

There were several people around -- I just waited a bit for them to walk out of sight to give some of the shots a deserted "Many Happy Returns" feel. ;) I stayed in a B&B in nearby Porthmadog...

Big Pasi and longdist01 like this.
  16. dougotte

Prompted by this discussion, I decided to check on the 2019 festival. If I went, I'd really like to stay at Portmeirion. But, that's all booked up. So, maybe next year...

And, it's in April, and I'm already planning a trip with family to the UK later in April this year.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. Jason W

Yes, you'll need to book way in advance to get a room in the Village during a big festival. Many of the Village rentals have extra rooms, so you might see if there's a discussion on the festival page about sharing a space?

longdist01 likes this.
  18. dougotte

That's a good idea, but I'll just plan way ahead for 2020. The family trip to UK already has dates set for later in April this year. Be seeing you!

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Be sure to look at staying here:

Castell Deudraeth Hotel, Portmeirion, Gwynedd, Wales

It's a short walk from there to The Village, and it's a really cool place to stay (at least a few external scenes from the show were filmed there too). I proposed marriage to my wife there in fact!

stereoptic, longdist01 and Jason W like this.
  20. Jason W

That's a good tip. The castle can be cheaper, is a short walk into the Village (includes after-hours access), and the restaurant is cheaper and has more options than the Village hotel menu.

longdist01 and Shawn like this.
  21. Yep. And the rooms are fantastic - I couldn't believe the size, and had a dedicated bedroom, lounge area, patio and a small kitchen. I'm not sure if all the rooms are as spacious but it was one of the best I've stayed in. Plus, it's just incredibly cool staying in a castle.

22. dougotte

That looks very nice. Wasn't the exterior used as the hospital for Hammer into Anvil?

longdist01 likes this.
  23. Yes it was. It might have been used in one or two more episodes although I can't recall offhand.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. team2

team2 Forum Resident

For any fans planning trips, also look into the Walking Tours organized by The Unmutual Website. They're free to attend, and cover all of the London locations for "Arrival," "Many Happy Returns," "Do Not Forsake Me" and "Fall Out." They're held twice a year in the spring and fall, and I highly recommended them:

The Unmutual Prisoner Event Page Patrick McGoohan Portmeirion

Jason W, Shawn and longdist01 like this.
  25. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I've wanted to visit Portmeirion ever since I first watched the Prisoner decades ago. It's just so whimsical, yet, I don't know...lonely. I doubt I'll ever be able to make a trip there, but photos like yours are a really nice substitute. Beautiful!

chacha, Big Pasi and team2 like this.