The Pros and Cons Of Streaming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Went to listen to the Mercyful Fate medley that Metallic did on Garage Inc. only to find it is now unavailable on Spotify and the only song on the album that isn't. Things like this are a huge pain in regards to streaming and why I still like to buy CDs and rip them so I have a digital version of the album at the ready.

head_unit and bvb1123 like this.
  2. AirJordanFan93

Except the current generation who are going to be raised with streaming as the norm and think of physical media as a "relic" and outdated.

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

They recently changed their interface a little bit but from what I see it looks every every Saxon album is still there. Did you click “See Discography” under the highlighted albums? Or did you mean you saved them for offline listening and now they’re not with your saved stuff?

4. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

Apparently. But they'll be sorry one day. I have an 18 yr old son who, with help from dad, is getting started on a decent vinyl/cd collection. He hardly ever streams. But, of course, I realize he is an anomaly.

keef285 likes this.
  5. AirJordanFan93

I only started buying CDs in late 2016 on a regular basis. I use Spotify for convenience and the fact it gives me access to bands that are really hard to find on CD in Australia (Rush being the big one)

bvb1123 likes this.
  6. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Well, doesn't Spotify track your activity for commercial targeting? I just assume most on-line businesses do this as a matter of course.

bvb1123 likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

define streaming...If I rip a CD onto my HD and listen to it through my PC system is that considered streaming? or do I have to get the music from a paid or free outside source?

kippyy and bvb1123 like this.
  8. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

Well, I would call both of those as technically streaming but my meaning in the original post was streaming from an outside source, e.g. Spotify, Tidal, etc..

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

gotcha...I thought so...just checking. In that case I do not stream.

bvb1123 likes this.
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Is there much difference between the catalogues of music offered by Apple Music, Spotify and Amazon Music or is all pretty much the same?

11. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Mainstream stuff is pretty much the same although there will be some differences. For instance the Band Slade is available on Apple Music but not anywhere else. Garth Brooks is only available on Amazon. There may also be an album or two available on some but not others within an artists catalog and compilations may vary. Outside of the mainstream music is where bigger differences seem to occur. There is also this thread: Still Not Streaming (or Streaming and Has Disappeared)

Porkpie likes this.
  12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Thanks. I’ve just decided to add a streaming service so I can explore more and then decide what to buy. I guess it just comes down to price. I have Sonos as home so all 3 should link in without issues.

13. Stereosound

Price, sound quality, content and user interface preference. Look for free or low cost trial offers before you decide which one you want to continue paying for unless you end up going with one that offers s free tier.

14. Stereosound

15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Somewhat on-topic: The Growing, Hidden Problem of Re-Recordings

This was something I noticed back when I first dipped my toe into the world of streaming. I was looking for some tasty '50s Carl Perkins and was confounded by what was obviously a drum machine.

Anyway - good article.

Bevok, BluesOvertookMe and Spitfire like this.
  16. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I have roon and tidal plus 20,000 albums ripped including sacd, Blu-ray, mfsl, apo, shm, vinyl, etc.

I don’t see 5.1 and quad in the streamers.

I am comparing the Tidal Masters vs forum favs and my audiophile sacds/gold cds etc. I am not ready to say tidal Masters are better than most forum fav discs.

I don’t see any art other than covers in tidal when I stream. roon has credits and AMG reviews but my personal collection has booklets scraped from Discogs and loaded in Roon plus I transposed disc info into Roon

In general I find my personal collection of discs ripped to roon with pics of back, disc, booklet more curated and more fun. I also like the linkage to my physical collection of forum favorites for mastering compare

If I was starting over with few discs I might just gonstreaming with roon and Q or T but having spent years collecting and in this forum I am too connected to the physical to stop thinking about my roon and physical discs as a collection

For me Roon is a digital twin of my collection. Tidal is a place to explore. I will probably drop tidal for Qobuz 320kbs and use that for mobility and desktop pc exploration like listening to a new release while reading the mag reviews.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    jmrife likes this.
  17. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

If what I experienced last night recording a live musical performance off Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show, there might be streaming services in the future that cater to audiophile types. Here's the quote from another SH thread on Brickwalled reissue CDs to show what I mean...

18. nickg

nickg Forum Resident

I use two different forms of streaming.

Apple Music and Plex.

Apple is where I go when I want modern pop stuff or just quickly grab something, create a playlist, etc.

Plex is where I house my higher res FLAC files. Lots of HDTracks, PBTHAL vinyl rips, etc. There's a lot of cross duplication and sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to keep the Plex thing going (I mostly use it for movies/tv) but then I remember that Apple/Tidal/Spotify/Amazon are free to remove and modify songs/albums at their own whim. Or in the case of Tidal, screw with all sorts of algorithms and such.

Of course I mostly use cds in my car, my bluetooth adapter thingy is too finicky for my ye old carre.

Still collect vinyl as well. I love the artwork. Sometimes, I'll snag a cassette - like the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtracks or whatever, can't listen to it anywhere, but fun to have.

Bevok and rogertheshrubber like this.
  19. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm new to streaming and haven't tried it. But my question is how do you record the stream off the internet or does the streaming service offer a file to download? Some computers don't allow recording of internet sound input through wi-fi and or ethernet cable hookup. And I have big problems using Soundflower on my 2010 MacMini which plays through on top of what's being recorded with a kind doubling effect.

Or maybe there's better software I haven't heard that's better than Soundflower. It's far easier for me to record off my cable tv box line out to my laptop. I just wish cable tv offered selectable streaming.

20. nickg

nickg Forum Resident

Both Apple Music and Spotify allow you to download the tracks to your device but they have some kind of protection on them as far as I know. It's basically called "offline listening". As for recording the stream, I'm not sure, I've never had the urge to do so.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  21. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

At the time of writing my avatar/profile pic is of Linda Ronstadt.
    I'm currently going through a very strong Ronstadt period.
    So much so that I started an appreciation thread a few days ago.
    I always liked her but just recently caught the bug.
    The massive amount of Linda songs I'm binging on would not have been possible without steaming and therefore my new and true overall appreciation for her voice and diversity would not either.
    Plus, my teen and young adult kids play a lot of tracks from the 60s, 70s and 80s.
    Again, not possible if not for streaming.

Bevok and frightwigwam like this.
  22. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I would’ve thought Rush CD’s were readily available anywhere in the world. With the exception of maybe North Korea.

23. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Can't remember. This was weeks ago. I hit "add" to something so I could have it marked for future listening. I then went to click on it after clicking "my saved items" or added items or whatever and it said "this is no longer available" or something like that.

24. AirJordanFan93

Nope, They are really hard to find here. I managed to get the 3 sector boxsets which take care of a majority of the catalogue. But for whatever reason, they have always been a fairly hard find here. From time to time you will find one of the compilation albums but I haven't seen one for a few years now.

25. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Dang, learn something new every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.