The Pros and Cons Of Streaming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

It sounds better than before and to my ears fixes the issues I hear with overly compressed and clipping audio.

I can't break into the studio steal the pre production masters and re mix every piece of audio that comes out clipped so this is the best way for me to mitigate the issues of the loudness wars.

Its the best I can do to eleviate an industry wide problem.

Kingsley Fats and bvb1123 like this.
  2. That's really what I'm afraid of. The days of cheap TV were numbered and still are.

Sneaky Pete and bvb1123 like this.
  3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

For the 4 major record corporations it is becoming the largest portion of the pizza.
    For the streaming services it is already almost the complete pizza. The "lucky" artists get the uneaten scarps.

As you are a musician do you have any actual real examples of before & after royalty checks. The $600 then & the 6 cents now seems to be a recurring truth.

Sneaky Pete and Grant like this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Well said my lad. ;)

bvb1123 likes this.
  5. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

Thank you! I appreciate that.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  6. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

It’s unfortunate artists aren’t paid more for their streams but it’s still better than making $0 from physical sales, which I suspect would be the case for many of them.

Bevok and bvb1123 like this.
  7. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

This was probably already addressed, but I don’t want to read through the whole thread at the moment. I don’t see it as an either or type situation. I have Apple Music, but I only use it as a means of discovering new stuff (not necessarily new as in recency, but new to me). In that regards, streaming has been a VALUABLE tool. I started using this method with Rhapsody way back in 2004 or thereabouts and if I were to make list of my 10 favorite bands of all time, 5 or 6 of them are bands I discovered this way. I still buy CDs or records for most everything I like.

Bevok, danner and bvb1123 like this.
  8. bvb1123

That's why a lot of the time I just listen to streaming playlists even if I have the CDs already. Every .00006 cents helps I guess.

Witchy Woman and hEARt PhoniX like this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

So far the market for network media has mostly gone in the opposite direction -- less metering, more one-price all-you-can-eat (unlimited data plans for cellular in the US now have more than 50% of the market; Netflix, Spotify, Tidal, etc. are all you can eat pricing). But yeah, with music streaming, everything is going to have to shake out in terms of which platforms survive and in terms of the money splits and the fees that are going to reach a point where the platforms are profitable. And all the services have a mix of services -- a freemium type model with ad supported streaming vs. premium plus add on product and service sales, not so much metering.

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Just got a Frank Sinatra box "World On A String" last night in snail mail. Loved opening the box and exploring the booklet and spinning the cds of course loading all 4 cds into my HP drive.

Vinyl_Blues, Sneaky Pete and bvb1123 like this.
  11. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

It’s a rhetorical device. The point is that as the public abandons physical media you lose the economies of scale and costs will go up.

In my last car purchased in 2011 I had a CD player, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Am/FM and a mini RCA jack.

The 2018 car I just bought has a CD player but it was hard to find one with that option. I have Apple Car Play but no mini RCA jack. I do have Bluetooth, Sirius and AM/FM. But if I use Apple car play I’m stuck in Apple World.

I like to use a hardwired mini RCA jack to listen my hi-Rez files on my Walkman. I realize I’m in a minority.

The streaming services are going to cut off all other options. Businesses hate competition.

12. bvb1123

Very nice! Frank's always good.

13. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

With streaming you have lost control. The different masterings, the fun of collecting and the time spent pouring over the artwork and lyrics all mean that I have no interest in streaming. Never will.

14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Most are losing money now. Like Amazon did for over a decade.

And artists are not getting paid.

melstapler and bvb1123 like this.
  15. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

You can also use Spotify to sample for free; it doesn’t require a paid subscription. You just have to put up with ads, like on YouTube.

bvb1123 likes this.
  16. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

It's worth dwelling a little on the numbers. A TB or two of lossless audio on local storage is probably something between 50,000 and 100,000 tracks. That's equivalent to a big collection of 5,000 or more CDs. Spotify has over 40 million tracks. (see Spotify — IR Home ) You could have a huge collection and Spotify would still be 500 times bigger. The fact that you can pay a small subscription (or nothing and endure ads) and play what you like from that collection is amazing. Not forgetting YouTube which also has millions of free tracks many with video.

You might not care much since most of those tracks you never want to hear. On the other hand it's great if you want to entertain a guest with different taste than you, or a person of another generation (whether they want Bing Crosby or Nina Nesbitt).

Tim

17. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

A number of years back I watched a documentary about the birth & development of Google. The guys who invented it were living & working out of a caravan & had approached some venture capitalists about investing in the product/company. The venture capitalists advanced them a sum of money telling the inventors that there was a lot more capital waiting to be invested once they (the inventors) worked out how the product was going to make a profit. The inventors mulled over the solution for a number of weeks/months until they arrived at the only sensible conclusion. Advertising.
    So what is the only sensible solution to how the streaming services are going to turn a profit.

Just in case you are are not aware Google is now one, if not the number one, of the richest listed corporations in the world

18. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Yes, this boils it down for me. And such things as not being able to enjoy the filing, pulling out, and storage across beautiful wooden shelves, the feeling of archiving, collecting and having the actual product there at hand, the self-discovery of actually having to find an album (browsing shops or a record store), etc.

I think the pros mentioned for streaming are great, and all very valid. It's just that the negatives, unfortunately, make it limiting or something less than "fully enjoyable" for me.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

For me, missing stuff on Spotify is the main drawback. Just of bands already mentioned, key albums by Procol Harum, The Move, and NRBQ are missing or were available and then disappeared. The only way I can reliably hear Workshop, All Hopped Up, all of High Noon, Message From the Country, Broken Barricades, just to list some classic LPs not streaming there, is for me to go to my CD collection. Even recent releases like The Who Live at the Fillmore are no shows. I’m not complaining, but nothing replaces the music I have purchased.

PhantomStranger and bvb1123 like this.
  20. bvb1123

Yeah, it's almost 99.7% of the time if I search for a song it's on Spotify.

21. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Yep its why I have created a hybrid. I have 3 TBs of local lossless audio and stream it in lossless quality to any of my devices at home.

The convenience of streaming but total control of the media and much less cumbersome than physical. Best of both worlds.

Sneaky Pete, bvb1123 and Old Zorki II like this.
  22. bvb1123

I would never suggest for anyone get rid of their physical media. I stream a lot but I buy a lot of CDs too. Streaming is just a tool to either find a song you are really in the mood for and don't own for some reason or finding new artists and music.

23. Psychedelic Good Trip

Exactly

bvb1123 likes this.
  24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

There are no cons to streaming - what a silly thread. How do I listen to something - when I have no appetite for any of my existing CDs and LPs? Radio completely sucks.

Streaming rocks!

25. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I have similar setup (probably a little more then 3 TB), lots of hi-rez downloads.. And yes, if I have version locally I play it (my Auralic Aries does fairly decent job of integrating Tidal streams and local library on NAS). But streaming Tidal library, while missing some releases, still have so much more music...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    bvb1123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.