The Quad ESL 57 thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Maybe I should trade my Spendors for your Quads! What a shipping nightmare that would be...

2. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Why don't you just put your Spendors in the car and drive up here? Then we can both figure out what we need or don't need. I'll even pay for your gas.

3. vinyl anachronist

And I just got back from vacation!

Well, I NEED Harbeth Monitor 30s. I'm pretty sure of that. But we could plan something in the near future, on a weekend. Spend some more time with the 57s, and I'm sure you'll be unable to live without them.

4. audio

It's already happened. I love these dogs, man. Look...I'm definitely interested in your Spendors. I'll call you tomorrow and we'll talk. Now you've got me curious about those Harbeths.

5. vinyl anachronist

Spendor's got their work cut out for them. Even the main Spendor designer jumped ship to work for Harbeth. Basically, if you like Spendor, you'll love Harbeth. Apparently a lot of customers are trading in their Spendors for Harbeth. Spendor's sales are down, and Harbeth's are way, way up.

In fact, the top of the line Harbeth, the Monitor 40, is supposedly giving Quad a run for their money against the 988 and 989 (I doesn't help that the latters are now made in China). The only downside to Harbeths is that their prices have been steadily climbing. The Monitor 40s are now $9000...they were just $6500 a couple of years ago. The Monitor 30s are $3695 and were just $3149 last year. And their bread-and-butter model, the Compact 7ES, was $1995 last year, and now they're $2495.

Then again, my Spendor SP100s were $3450 when I got them in 1998. They're now $4500. They were only $2500 when the original model, the S100, was introduced in the early 90s. And there was a time in the recent past when I could have got a pair of Quad 988s for $4500. Now they retail for $6500.

6. sab

sab Forum Resident

Quad 57s, Harbeth, Spendor

Coincidentally, I use Harbeth C7s (with a sub) in my main system, Spendor 3/5s in my bedroom/tv system (and I still own and like my Spica TC-50s).

And I have a pair of Quad 57s "on order".

I live in Brentwood, so if you want to stop by (and don't mind dogs), let my know.

7. audio

Don't worry. Vinyl anachronist has been known to disobey dogs on multiple occasions. Everything should be just fine.

8. audio

It's okay. I'm so skeptical of modern manufacturing quality....I'd be seeking out older, used Spendors.

9. vinyl anachronist

BC1s, maybe? That would be THE classic Spendor, IMO. A little rolled-off in the highs compared with their later models, but oh, that midrange...

10. vinyl anachronist

I'm not familiar with the C7s. Are those the new "home theatre" Harbeths?

It's also good to see someone still loving their Spicas. I came THIS CLOSE to buying a pair back in the early 90s, but bought Spendor S20s instead. I think they're one of the most solid choices to recommend for someone looking for a used deal in speakers.

11. vinyl anachronist

LOL! Had to read that one twice before I got it!

I have four dogs at home, so I guess I don't mind them. I'm not that thrilled when I wake up in the morning completely surrounded by them. Usually one of their butts are in my face.

12. sab

sab Forum Resident

C7 = Compact 7

I was just referring to the "bread and butter" Harbeth model, the first to feature their RADIAL driver material and in terms of size is in-between the Monitor 30 and 40.

13. vinyl anachronist

Duh, sorry! I know their new HT models have simple model numbers like "C7." Personally, I have no interest in them, just as I have no interest in the "newer" Spendor models that were also voiced for HT. The Compact 7 is an outstanding speaker, one I've heard a couple of times. Do you have the first model?

14. sab

sab Forum Resident

Comact 7

I have the first model (in quite nice rosewood), non-es.
    My limited research all said that there was no significand sonic difference between them and the esII. The differences were minor changes in commetics, positioning of the ports, due to a change in cabinet makers.

15. vinyl anachronist

Very cool. I'm leaning toward the eucalyptus myself. I need to see it in person first, since every Harbeth I've heard seems to be finished in cherry.

What equipment do you have hooked up to your Compact 7s?

16. audio

Gorts, please retitle this thread the Quad ESL 57, Spendor, and Harbeth thread.;)

17. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm just curious if having your 57s reworked properly would take away some of those drawbacks. It might be worth it if you really like them this much. :agree:

18. sab

sab Forum Resident

I use Quad 909 amp/99 pre and older Velodyne servo sub (fsx-12) with the C7s. My source is a modded Sony 222es sacd player. And I should be getting the 57s a week from tomorrow.

19. vinyl anachronist

Quad, Spendor, and Harbeth have a reputation for owner loyalty unequalled in the audio world...

20. vinyl anachronist

Nice stuff! I wouldn't mind dropping over for a listen one day.

21. audio

According to Dr. Quad...I am better off leaving them totally original if they are working correctly. But you bet....if it comes down to it I'll have these things completely redone. They are keepers, I think.

22. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

:agree: I fell in :love: with stats back in 1987. Almost bought them, but it was way more than I could afford, plus I'd have had to upgrade everything else in the system driving them. One of these days, though... :D

23. vinyl anachronist

You need to remove the socks and replace the caps.

24. audio

Are you suggesting that I run the Quads without the screens?

Yes, I am planning on redoing the electronics. The important thing I need to find out is whether or not these panels have ever been arced. We put a 1 amp inline fuse in the speaker cable last night, so this will do just fine until I can afford the protection circuits.

25. vinyl anachronist

The friend I mentioned who owns all of the Quads keeps telling me that I need to take off the socks and change the capacitors (he had a specific brand he recommended, but said Hovlands will also do just fine). Apparently it makes a HUGE difference.

You have a little girl though, so it may not be a good idea to take the "protective screens" off...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.