The Raconteurs: "Help Us Stranger" (Out 6/21/19)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brendan K, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Is it just me or Jack's and Brendan's singing voices really sound the same?

Randy5554 likes this.
  2. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

Pretty similar when they’re doing the more reserved stuff but they can be quite different and they’re great at highlighting the differences while still working together.

3. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Every time I heard Now That You're Gone, I thought it was Jack. I didn't know it was Brendan until I saw this video. And for the record, I'm familiar with Jack's works (The White Stripes, solo). So it was surprising to me.

4. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

When they were in Vancouver they did a secret show at Neptoon Records. Place only held about 150 people and they jammed it packed and I was about a dozen people from getting in. So the remaining hundred or so people there waited outside. You couldn't see, and could only listen and I thought the six songs or so were all sung by Jack, although a couple seemed just slightly different. It wasn't until I got to the show that night and heard the songs played that several of them were actually Brendan. You can tell the difference, but for the average person I bet it's just assumed it's Jack singing every track on the new album,

also a bit of an update from Nugs.net, they are promising one new third man archival release per month. So it sounds like it will be a continual thing going forward, which I think is an exciting prospect. Especially since Nugs does offer downloads and CD's of the performances there, so kind of something for everyone.

Big Blue and Soundslave like this.
  5. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I'm going to see The Raconteurs in Toronto tonight. Really looking forward to the concert. Working from home today so I'm spinning various Racs, White Stripes and Jack White records as my work soundtrack.

6. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Enjoy. The Brooklyn show Saturday night was a top 5 all time concert for me. Hammerstein the night before was close! Holy Sh@*!

7. VatiBobo

I've heard nothing but great things about this tour. It's an incredible achievement that they can come back with such a great album and tour after such a long break. I saw Jack's solo tour last year and it was fantastic, too. Can't wait for tonight.

8. VatiBobo

On the train on the way home now. That was something really special. Amazing experience down towards the front of the pit. If they are playing anywhere near you, find a way to go. You won’t regret it.

9. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Just saw them last night in Columbus, Ohio at ExpressLive! Excellent show! Olivia Jean was also really good, the The Raconteurs were awesome. Super heavy live - first time seeing them - highly recommended!

10. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I was just in Vancouver this week on vacation and stopped by Neptoon. While I was checking out the owner and I had a short conversation about the Raconteurs show. He mentioned the spill over crowd out in the streets. Small place, they must have rocked that hell out of that place.

wavethatflag and RockRoom like this.
  11. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Via Amazon Music (to stream the whole songs) there is an excellent mini doc of the Racs visiting Fame Studio's and recording a cover version of "I'm Your Puppet" by James and Bobby Purify as well as a version of their own cut "Now That You've Gone".

12. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

I've never been a JW fan, but several tracks on this disc make me excited to listen to music again.

13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I thought Jack had done all the vocals on this album until I saw this post just now... and yeah, I have all the White Stripes and Jack White albums, so I would have thought I knew Jack’s voice pretty well. Admittedly, I haven’t listened to the Raconteurs as extensively, but I did have the thought “wait, has this always been kind of an alternate backing band for Jack White?” Which I did not think was the case, and everything makes more sense to me now...

LilacTeardrop, Umbari and Soundslave like this.
  14. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Jack's voice is really similar to Brendan's! I thought I was alone.. Lol :p

Big Blue likes this.
  15. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Anybody check out the band’s extended (full hour) episode of Austin City Limits? Watching it right now on the PBS app and it’s totally great. I saw their earlier episode a few months back (split episode with Black Pumas) and was disappointed with the brevity of their set. This is a much better set which digs deep into Help Us Stranger (7 of the 11 songs are from the album). Check it out guys!

16. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I finally received this CD from the library and really enjoy it. With “Don’t Bother Me” and “Shine the Light on Me,” I hear a Queen tribute back to back in the middle of the disc. Good stuff.

17. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Ahhh...maybe, now Brendan will finally be getting more deserved recognition for his part. The guy's a brilliant songwriter & has some great solo albums: Lapalco, My Old Familiar Friend, What Kind Of World.. Patrick Keeler and Patrick Lawrence have also been in a VG++ garage r. revival band, The Greenhornes. :thumbsup: so The Raconteurs is a collaborative effort.

This is The Raconteurs CD/LP that sold me... Any time I've listened to the 1st 2, I didn't feel the compulsion to purchase as w/this...there were some misses & while I certainly own some that not all songs connect, the majority do & this, happy to say, is "all tracks winners!" :righton:
    5/5***** (or, 10/10 depending on your grading system :winkgrin:)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Crispy Rob, Big Blue and Finch Platte like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.