The Raconteurs: "Help Us Stranger" (Out 6/21/19)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brendan K, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I agree all the prerelease tracks sound great. It seems there’s more collaboration between the two instead of being completely separate White/Benson songs. Really excited for this one.

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

Their new single, "Bored and Razed" was released today. This album is looking to be a contender for album of the year for me.

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

One week away and the reviews are awesome so far! I still have not heard anything from the album yet, but it sure is tempting, but I will hold out. This has to be my most anticipated Rock release of the year! Counting down the days...but what a morning it is, I am from St. Louis originally and finally after 52 years, we can celebrate the Stanley Cup, and we won game 7 in Boston, oh yeah!

Crispy Rob and unclefred like this.
  4. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

2019 has been a challenging year for me on a personal level, and I haven't connected with much in the way of new music either. These new records by the Raconteurs and the Black Keys at the end of June are really a godsend for me. Rock 'n roll is my first and greatest musical love and hearing new rock music that actually puts an emphasis on the roll (i.e. it grooves! it swings!) fills me with happiness. I really like every one of the advance tracks.

I've been listening to Jack White since 2001 and I've been revisiting his collected works recently in anticipation of Help Us Stranger. What a talent. My generation is so fortunate to have him. I love how he works with Brendan Benson as well. Despite being a larger than life personality, Jack White has always thrived on collaboration.

5. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

So far the cuts have been good. I'm looking forward to it.

scotti likes this.
  6. Parachute Woman

My husband is subscribed to Jack Black's channel on YouTube and he was watching the latest video tonight while I was working out in the same room, so I was also watching. I basically like Jack Black, but my ears perked up at the end of the video when he said that Jack White sent him an early copy of the new Raconteurs and he was going to give a little review.

It starts around 13:27 in the video. Basically, he loves it. And yes, he and Jack White are very much aware of the many jokes made about their names. :D

I can't wait. I listened to the first two Raconteurs albums today. God, Consolers of the Lonely is such a killer record. I really like Broken Boy Soldiers a lot, but that second record is just incredible. Jack and Brendan both brought their A game on that one. Carolina Drama, The Switch and the Spur, the title track...it is all so great. I am so happy they are doing another record.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Updated thread title to reflect album name and release date.

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome post! I so can't wait for this album! Pretty sure I will be able to pick my vinyl copy up this Thursday. My wife loves this band so much and like you thinks "COTL" is just amazing. I agree as well, that is one incredible album. I got a feeling the new one is going to be even better.

9. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

Uncut have given it 8/10 and a very positive write-up in their new issue. They describe it as a "vital, vintage but inventive rock record". Really looking forward to this one :righton:

Parachute Woman likes this.
  10. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I have tickets to see them in Troutdale, OR in July.

By the way, the LP was recorded 8-track analog, dumped to Pro-Tools, then mixed down to tape with all analog outboard gear, so no digital effects involved. I got this information directly from Jack White himself, so it’s obviously reliable info!

11. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

The chorus parts sound a lot like Sloan, which is not a bad thing at all.

12. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I've always felt the exact opposite. To me, Broken Boy Soldiers is where they brought their A game, while Consolers Of The Loney felt like more of an off handed follow up, where not a lot of thought went into it. I rarely play it, while I still listen to the debut quite frequently.

funhouse and csnfan like this.
  13. Parachute Woman

Interesting! Different strokes and all. Make no mistake, I think Broken Boy Soldiers is great (and Blue Veins is one of my favorites in White's whole catalog) but Consolers is really special for me. It really makes me wish they hadn't waited 11 years for a follow up.

14. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I preordered the CD on Amazon for $9.99–and it’s already dropped to $8.99, so I get whatever it drops to.

I like Consolers more than Broken Boy Soldiers, but they are both great! I love my copy of the Consolers Vault release—extremely well done.

scotti likes this.
  15. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I got the CD free with the purchase of a concert ticket. They give you choice of a free CD or $10 off the vinyl
    But their price for the vinyl (through the concert ticket purchase) is almost double the cost of the vinyl on amazon, which makes me wonder if it'll be a different pressing.

SoundDoctor and scotti like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Very nice! Different Indie and color variations other than the standard black of the album, so I am sure you are correct. Would be nice to know which version it is...

17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I'm not sure - I kinda doubt it, as I think the only variant is the one in this month's Third-Man vault thingie - all other releases should be standard black, afaik.

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have the Indie white vinyl version coming in this Thursday at my local shop....That one is different than the Third Man version...

SoundDoctor likes this.
  19. Parachute Woman

'Premature Evaluation' review of the album up on Stereogum: Premature Evaluation: The Raconteurs 'Help Us Stranger'

An excerpt:
    "That’s where Help Us Stranger comes in: with the rest of the Raconteurs at his side, White has effectively split the difference between Boarding House Reach’s adventurousness and the band’s past trad-classic rock trappings, the results coming across as appealingly low-stakes. After a series of solo albums that, even at their strongest moments, possessed a nervy atmosphere not unlike grinding one’s teeth, Help Us Stranger is comparatively loose and limber, making for the most purely pleasurable collection of songs White’s released in years."

Elsewhere, they call it 'playful' and say that 'they make playing around in the classic-rock sandbox sound like so much fun that you have to wonder why it took them eleven years to get back in the habit together.'

:righton:

SoundDoctor likes this.
  20. SoundDoctor

I find it very interesting how many critics dismissed Boarding House Reach... a fantastic album IMO (I gave it a 9 on AnalogPlanet, and Fantano also gave it a 9 on his YT channel - so not all critics hated it). But it's nice to see the early praise for Help Us, Stranger. I'm excited to get my vault in!

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

I've heard it, a good number of times now, and though it may not be the "best" album of the year, I can say it's brought me more pure pleasure than any other album so far in 2019.

Parachute Woman and SoundDoctor like this.
  22. Yeah I bought two tickets for their Atlanta show and was offered the “vinyl upgrade” for an additional $20. I’ll pass. I’ll take the free CD and stream the album anyway.

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Looking forward to this. I wish I had the Vault version, but at the end of last year, after 30 or so Vault packages, I just decided I have no more space for these. Oh well, live with the decision. Black vinyl here I come.

24. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Would REALLY be nice to have some dynamics on this CD, for a change. The first two are significantly compressed compared to their vinyl counterparts.

25. SoundDoctor

The digital singles sound decent IMO.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.