The Raconteurs: "Help Us Stranger" (Out 6/21/19)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brendan K, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Interesting. This might answer the question I had about the vinyl you can get $10 off with the purchase of a concert ticket, which they had priced at $27, as opposed to $17 everywhere else. So I'm assuming the vinyl you get with the concert ticket discount would be the indie exclusive, that, or they're really inflating it's price.

2. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

My guess is it's not the indie ex, but I'd curious to hear from anyone who actually went that route.

They're generally pretty strict about how indie ex. versions get distributed - so it'd be a real kick in the teeth to stores to send that version out that way.

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I doubt it as well, but we will find out. Plus from what I'm told the Indie version is disappearing fast. The owner of my store told me one of his suppliers were shorted big time on this one. I also called a store in St. Louis for my son this morning and they can't get it...Bull Moose quit taking preorders a couple weeks ago for this and the ones on Ebay are going quick. I was lucky as heck to have gotten mine, but I ordered it as soon as it was announced, but even then that means nothing.

Looking forward to everyone's feedback, mine will come later tonight.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  4. Dreaddazzman

Not to mention they're paying whoever this One Live Media is (listed on the redemption site) for whatever it is they're doing, so I'm sure there's a markup for that as well.

5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I pre ordered the indie vinyl from Pie and Vinyl in Portsmouth (as I’m spending a few days here) so I’m looking forward to walking in tomorrow and collecting

Dr-Winston and scotti like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

One other call out...the barcode is on the hype sticker only...Sweet! Plus no title printed on the spine, blank.

dtuck90 likes this.
  7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Or the concert-ticket vinyl could be a completely different pressing. Wouldn't put it past 3rd Man.

8. Dreaddazzman

Maybe....Still placing my bet on regular version at inflated price :tiphat:

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  9. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I'm going to keep my Vault version of this which I got a dispatch note for Tuesday, I've sold the majority of them on but hung onto the special Consolers version which sounds fantastic.

Can't be bothered to get a standard and sell this on, I'll just keep the Vault version and play it like a normal record rather than some revered special edition.

10. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Amazon says I won't have my cd until July 2nd, even though I'm a prime member. Weird...

11. Butch1970

Butch1970 Forum Resident

Just got a shipping notice on my Vault version.

I’ve yet to open my Vault “Consolers of the Lonely” only because I have a clean original.

RockRoom likes this.
  12. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Just checked and my Vault package is already in the UK and on the way to it's destination, might well get this either tomorrow or Saturday.

Seriously looking forward to giving this a spin.

Will most likely get my first listen on Spotify working into work tomorrow morning.

Really looking forward to it, only heard first 2 tracks that got released and have the 7" from the Consolers Vault package, I thought I'd save the rest for the album and haven't bothered with the other tracks that have become available.

I already had Consolers from original release but couldn't resist cracking open the Vault one, wasn't disappointed it sounded superb and slightly better than my original I would say.

Had almost given up on the idea of new Raconteurs material and then this got announced, happy days.

RockRoom, scotti and Parachute Woman like this.
  13. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Wow, it seems like I'm the first person here to actually receive their Vault package - all the way over in New Zealand!

Haven't listened to it yet, but it's a beauty. This might be the best use yet of a lenticular cover because it's so elegant and simple: a traffic signal changing from stop to go. Cool sickly green vinyl, lyric sheet, artwork inside the sleeve, single of demos - all nicely done. Then there's the vaguely useful slipmat and a completely useless bandana.

RockRoom and scotti like this.
  14. Dreaddazzman

Picked up my Indie Ex version tonight. Was hoping they might have also received a couple of the 7” promos, but no such luck.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    scotti likes this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just finished an awesome night of music. Listened to this two times, second in my sweet spot. (In between enjoyed the new Tone Poet release of Lou Donaldson's "Mr. Shing-A-Ling"...had to plug this awesome release!

Glad I waited and did not listen to anything until now. This really is not anything like Consolers of The Lonely (which I liken to my favorite Tom Petty release "Wildflowers"). This is one amazing album! Such power coming out of the entire band, it just has the bottom end and punch of Zeppelin at times. The way the instrumentation is layered is so cool, and I have to say, the sound quality of the vinyl is fantastic! Each member shines big time on this and this is a Rock album and a very powerful one at that! But on this one, Jack really stretches out way more than ever here as do the rest of this amazing band.

Enjoyed every song on this, and a couple that really get out there are Don't Bother Me and What Yours Is Mine...What an outstanding record! Early review after two listens...Performance...10/10...Sound...9/10 Can't wait to read the review in Analog Planet (hint), as well as others here...

16. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Gosh I need to see these guys live

Crispy Rob, RockRoom and scotti like this.
  17. This is going on more and more with new release CDs from Amazon. They are clearly throttling their CD inventory I suspect on a regional basis.

gottafeelin likes this.
  18. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

I'm in NZ and got my Vault package today as well. When i was issued a tracking number on Wednesday i thought there would be no way in hell that i'd get it in time, but i think they delayed sending out the tracking numbers.

scotti likes this.
  19. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

They performed 'Help Me Stranger' last night on Colbert. The great Dean Fertita (of the Dead Weather and Queens of the Stone Age) joins them. Sounding great!

I've listened to the album through this morning and will continue to play throughout the day. It's fantastic! Great album. Wonderful blend of sounds and styles, great arrangements and just a general sense of music-making and songwriting that I just love. 'What's Yours is Mine' is an immediate standout (killer solo!), as is 'Shine the Light on Me' but there's nothing on the album I dislike. I like the sequencing as well, going for instance from Brendon's melodic 'Only Child' into the more bizarro 'Don't Bother Me.'

I'll post more thoughts later as I absorb more fully! But it gets :thumbsup::thumbsup: from me.

Brendan K, laf848, mlew and 5 others like this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome comments! Glad you dig "What Yours Is Mine" as well, but how the heck could anybody not. Did you go with the CD, vinyl, or...curious as to your thoughts on the sound quality, and of course after you listen more.

My wife could not hang with me last night as she still works and had to crash early, but is she ever ready to throw back a few cold ones and let this killer album rip big time tonight! It's been a while since I have been this excited about a new Rock album, and if I may point out to some of the reviews posted by critics already, I honestly feel sometimes they do not give a new record enough listens before the post their comments. As they are most likely listening to a lot of new stuff that they have to review as well. The more I keep thinking about this album, the more I am standing by my (10/10 for performance), it sounds that good and creative to my ears. I read one review where the individual put the new album by Hot Chip over this.

Because I worked music retail my entire career as a buyer and manager I do tend to still get over excited at times, its in my blood still and I glad it is. I have been known to over react, but in regards to this monster, I think not!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    mozz, Crispy Rob, laf848 and 2 others like this.
  21. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Picked up my vinyl copy and the store was playing the album at the time. Was impressed with what I heard.

Has anyone bought the hi res?

scotti likes this.
  22. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Amazing record. First full listen. Rock is not dead.

23. Zensound

Zensound Forum Resident

Playing 3 dates at Tulsa Cains Ballroom 10/13,14,16th.
    Jack owns a home here.

24. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Just got my Vault edition. Sounds good upon first listen. Very analogue sound. Is it AAA? Does anyone know?

spintheblack72, RockRoom and scotti like this.
  25. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

No doubt. They bring the goods. Last show I saw was Pittsburgh 2008. Got tix for NYC and Brooklyn, cant wait to hear these songs translated to the live stage.

JoeRockhead and scotti like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.