The rarest DCC Jazz Titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronflugelguy, Jun 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

Which are the rarest DCC Jazz titles? It seems to me that Bill Evans "Portrait in Jazz", Miles "Relaxin and Steamin" are also hard to find. Any others that you have had difficulty in finding.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Every one of those except "Relaxin" was hard to find. The rest seem to even still be a piece of cake, beautiful, and well worth the prowl...

If you have vinyl capabilities, pick up Steve's mastering on AS for Sonny Rollins' "Saxaphone Colossus". Yeah, Prestige titles are impresive, but DAMN! Just.... don't miss it fellas.

3. Ronflugelguy

Sckott, I have the Sax Collosus on DCC vinyl, isn't that the same metal parts that pressed the DCC?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

5. Ronflugelguy

Hey Sckott, BTW, have you ever heard the vinyl of "Tenor Madness" on DCC? It's really good too!

6. Sckott

Thanks man! I'll put it on my list. It just shortened up, because I got a ton of Classic Rec's stuff. They still owe me a title...

Yeah the same metal parts as the DCC. The matrix was scratched out and new numbers written in.

7. Ronflugelguy

Sckott, have you ever heard Oscar peterson's "West Side Story" on DCC vinyl?

Another really great one. I'm trying to get the ones I don't have on CD right now, and then I'll go back and and get what I have on LP on CD.

8. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

As I stated in another post recently...the DCC Peppers are really good jazz CDs. I especially like the 'Intensity' session. Steve did a great job on this one. When I listen I feel like I'm in the studio. Great sonics and I believe it can be picked up for next to nothing on musicforasong. Get one. You won't be dissapointed!

:D

9. KLM

KLM Senior Member

It seems the three Nat King Cole titles are hard to get and command a hefty price when they do turn up. I would really like to get at least the Greatest Hits cd but refuse to pay the $90+ price tag on a used copy.

10. Mike V

Mike V New Member

The Saxophone Colossus CD and Ella Fitzgerald/Cole Porter CDs are certainly scarce these days. The 1st Miles quintet CD is still easily found as a cutout and sounds very very sweet. Or you could hold out for one of the super-rare LP test pressings Steve did for this title. Too bad it never got past the legal hurdles :(

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I would not say that the Ella double is that rare. I see it still for sale new at $50 in two Tower Records stores here in the Bay Area. It's one of the few DCC discs still on sale around here - along with a few Sinatras.

Regards,
    Metralla

12. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Metralla,

You would never see that title here! eBay prices jumped quite a bit on this title recently, so it could be a distribution issue (not enough surplus DCC on the east coast???).

Anyway, if you sell on eBay, consider reselling that title. It should fetch 50% more than what you listed at least. Or I'm sure some on the boards here would (or should) ask you nicely to buy it for them ;)

As for the Sinatras, we have plenty here too. But that's it! Oh, and the Everly Bros. Why aren't people scrambling to pick that one up??? I believe Steve spent 2 years procuring masters for that comp. For those of you listening, I know Everly's are off-topic here, but buy it now or regret later!

Mike

13. Ronflugelguy

Magicalex, I already have "Intensity" and as you say, its great! I'm still looking for "Gettin Together" as it sold out on MFAS before I got it. (do have vinyl though). All Contemp. Art peppers are better than most jazz recorded today(For sound quality and most times music)

14. Ronflugelguy

Metralla, which Towers did you see DCC ELLA at? Please pm me on this . Thanks, Ron

15. Ronflugelguy

BTW, has anyone compared the DCC Miles titles to the Analouge Prods. Miles Lp BOXSET? I have the boxset and have "DCC Cookin" on the way.

16. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

That's the only one that I don't have. If I spot some I'll try to pick up an extra for you if you'd like. I'm afraid that one does not go for cut-out prices any longer. Do you have the Galaxy & Hollywood All-Stars boxes. Great stuff. Pepper's the boss.

17. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Judy, Judy, Judy!

How hard to find is the DCC Judy Garland live 2 CD set? How much are they going for? I'd like to hear this one. It's gotta be great! I think Legacy (if I'm not mistaken) reissued this last year in 24-bit SBM. Any comments?

18. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Yes. There's a definite difference in mastering styles. I love the AP box set, but I also love Steve's Miles quintet disc (the first one - I don't have the others). There's some top end boost on the AP set, but it's judiciously done IMO. A very very sweet package. One thing I find strange - I think they used a stereo head on the AP set. I haven't listened to the DCC that carefully.

An interesting note to the AP box is that it is 2/3 speed mastered by Stan Ricker. I don't always like his ear for mastering, but I've said before that I think he's one hell of a talent at the lathe.

I'd say you definitely can't lose with either the APs or DCCs. I really like vinyl playback though and these LPs are fantastic, so I'd lean toward the AP set (sorry Steve! - I mean you no disrespect :cool: ).

Dual layered SACDs mastered by Mr. Hoffman might change my mind :D

19. Sckott

Thanks. I thought I was lucky enough to find an original Verve in decent condition about 4 weeks ago. No, I don't have one. It's really too bad I didn't have the opportunity to get these when they were available. Oh, well! My fault!

20. Ronflugelguy

JUDY GARLAND DCC

Magicalex, go to ebay item#884387252. It just started, so the ultimate price isn't there yet.

21. Ronflugelguy

Mike V, yeah the AP Miles Lps sound a little tilted on the top, but they do sound really great. But the cover is also a great shot!!!!!!

22. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Ron,

Yeah, a great William Claxton shot. He's the same guy that snapped Rollins on Way Out West. Certainly one of the greatest jazz photographers!

The whole booklet is a treat for that matter.

In case you weren't aware, there was a CD release of this boxed set using the DCC gold discs!! So if someone on eBay advertises a CD box set from AP of Miles on Prestige, those are DCCs lurking inside the box. That ought to interest some folks!

23. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Sckott...I thought that I saw the Peterson 'West Side Story' available as a cut-out at musicforasong. I used to have the Verve Master Series version and it was very well done. They are still readily available.

24. Ronflugelguy

Just came home from work (Midnite) and lo and behold there sits two Cd pakages with DCC Cookin & DCC Vine Guaraldi. don't have time to listen until sat. evening BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Two of my all-time faves!

Did those both in the same week (along with the Shelly Manne And His Friends "Jazz Impressions Of My Fair Lady", which you should try to find as well!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.