The rarest DCC Jazz Titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronflugelguy, Jun 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident

Am I lucky or what!

Bought today "SR - Saxophone Colossus" & "VG - Black Orpheus" on CD.

I should buy a lottery ticket too!

Keeping the thread alive.

Joe

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Just bought Saxophone Colossus too. Absolutely amazing.
    Coltrane's Lush Life and Bashin' by Jimmy Smith. Both excellent.
    Recently found Miles' Relaxin' and Steamin'. Already had the regular CD's (non K2) but bought the DCC's anyway. The store also had Cookin' and Vince Guaraldi but someone else grabbed 'em.
    How is Black Orpheus ? Am not really a piano fan but all the good comments have me interested.
    Am searching for the other DCC's by Rollins, Coltrane, Miles. Maybe Art Pepper too but I don't know much about hima nd have never heard him play.
    Oh yeah, Wes Montgomery is also on my list. At least the jazz DCC's are easier to find.

3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

Right now I'm working on getting Jimmy Smith DCC and the Bill Evans. Also looking for CannonBall.

4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I got my Jimmy Smith from DeepDiscountcd.com. in mid June
    $24.95, arrived in under a week by priority mail.
    Cannonball ?

5. Mike V

Mike V New Member

"Know What I Mean?" With Bill Evans. Awesome. Has a Tom Port special mention on the inside (guess he suggested the title). A great disc!!

6. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident

Re- VG - Black Orpheus"

I'll be listening when I get home today!

I'll let you know how it sounds.

7. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Re: Am I lucky or what!

Yeah, those are great titles!

I got lucky last week with some mint MFSL CDs at $9 each (Abraxas & Who Are You) at my fave record store.. At the same place I've bought mint Mosaic sets long out of print (at original price no less). Also just scored 5 of those colored German GEMA discs. The owner travels the US for jazz collections and comes home with some very sweet stuff.

But... They NEVER have any DCC!!! Never ever ever. And they're primarily a jazz store! You'd think they could score some righteous Art Pepper cutouts.

8. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Music For A Song usually has some Art Peppers at $7.95 but I hate buying cut outs sight unseen.

How would you describe Pepper ? I am really interested but have never heard his stuff.

9. Ronflugelguy

how's Art Pepper?

Highly recommended. On DCC Gettin Together, he teamed up with Miles Davis's rhythm section. He's a fairly bright sounding alto player. From my understanding a natural player,who practiced, but really didn't have to that much. Just realizing that most of his musican life he was high, there's much natural talent. California Cool style. BTW, there's a lot more Pepper than what's on DCC, try any # of Contemporary OJCs .

10. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I'm surprised but pleased to report that bestbuy.com came through with a recent order for Guaraldi's Black Orpheus DCC gold, obviously still sealed and in excellent shape. It looks like some of these gems are still out there if you look hard enough.

11. Ronflugelguy

Any day now, we should see Analouge Prod. release of Art Pepper's "Meets the Rhythm Section" on SACD. After hearing Sonny Rollins Way Out West, this one should be outstanding!

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Not due until August 30th, and some are saying that the Stones releases may push some other releases back a bit.

I love Art Pepper and I especially love this disc, and I will most certainly buy the SACD. I'll add my K2 version to my CD collection at work. That's where the duplicates go.

Regards,
    Geoff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.