DCC Archive THE RASCALS hits in mono

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyK, Sep 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anybody know if a CD is available with The Rascals hits in mono? I think that somebody on this message board said that the new Rhino Hand Made box set of The Rascals has their hits in mono, but I don't want to spend $99.98.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Kinda funny because I just wipped out "Anthology" on Rhino this week for a serious listen. A lot of the singles, especially the 1st disc, is MONO. Very worth checking out. The stereo sound is great, but one has to reducate him/herself with the velvety honest monos. "Good Lovin'" in stereo-o-o is a bit ping-pongy, but it's history too.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'll say this once (or, perhaps more than once): Good Lovin' in stereo ROCKS!

Ok, I'm done for now...

4. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

The Japanese box set of all the Atlantic albums, by Rhino-Warners Japan, was first and the best...as usual !

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Johnny K, you da man! I'm with Luke on this one. "Good Lovin'" sounds better in stereo. But, the rest of the mono mixes sound better, tighter. The mono single mix of "Groovin'" has a different harmonica track that isn't as irritating as the one used for the stereo mix BUT the stereo mix does sound a bit better.

All 'N All, I prefer the mono Anthology by Rhino.

6. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

Grant.....How is the sound quality on the Anthology CD? Some of the reviews on Amazon say that it is bad. Any comments?

By the way, I have the Hullabaloo DVD's and The Rascals do a great live performance of Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart. I can feel the goosebumps now!!!

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Ahh, whoever reviewed it for Amazon probably doesn't like it JUST because it's mostly MONO.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The sound on Anthology is unbeatable, but Luke kind of shares my view on "Good Lovin", although lately I prefer the Mono (I'm a bit in the middle). The Mono version of "GL" ends psyudo-cold, while the stereo version closes with some ambient dissolve, not counting the nutty ping-pong effect with Felix's vocals. The latter I'm more used to, so when "GL" ends with a thump instead of a splash-down, it sets me back. The Mono versions have an up-front clean and pleasing sound. The stereo versions of those that ended up on the WB Special Products "Ultimate Rascals" sounds different in places, but has some sonic gremlins you might expect with the older mastering schemes used in the mid-80's with nth generation masters. I've since sold that Cd, but I remember Bill Ingot did that one too(??)

Anthology is very worth seeking out. Nice package, great presentation, and the MONO sound is really nice. You can really crank this set, and that says a lot concidering the material, and how badly it could have been mastered. I'm sure Atlantic had things all over the place, even though reports say Atlantic's faily good at cataloging master tapes, content and box #.

I've always wanted to ask Bill Ingot if the Atlantic projects got out of hand at times... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.