The Reel-to-Reel Dilemma

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by efhjr, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast Thread Starter

I have an Ampex reel-to-reel machine, and it's full of Telefunken tubes :). It needs a new belt and a tuneup, however, but I haven't had that done yet. Why?

I don't know where to find pre-recorded R2R tapes. Or if there are even any available anywhere. Or if they'll disintegrate after I spool them up and press Play. Heck, I know more about 8-tracks than I do about R2Rs.

If anybody out there is an active R2R listener, I'd love to hear about it.

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Gene,

I am Reel recorder hobbyist. I would advise you to get the Ampex working and then record your own programs from sources that you enjoy such as CD's and LP's. I record programs (comps) from CD's these days and get outstanding results doing so. Most of those pre-recorded reels were of inferior quality and, of course, many have deteriorated beyond their useful life. Modern tape formulations are more stable and age very well. I highly recommend BASF tape.

Bob :)

3. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

I frequent local record conventions here in Chicago (usually about once a month or so). From time to time you can find prerecorded reel 2 reel tapes at relatively reasonable prices (depending on the title). Most of the guys there are pretty reputable and will tell you what the condition of the tape is. I really have never been burned and it's amazing what kinds of things you can find.

Ebay is another place to find them, though, you will probably pay a pretty penny.

One final place to check is used records stores. I have one by me that carries every format from 78's to cd's.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Bob, or anyone,

where can one even find a place to refurbish an old reel-to-reel? I do have an old Teac that I got from a radio station that only accepts 7" reels. A friend gave me a tape of his dad's home recordings to transfer to cassette tape a few years ago. A was able to play the tape then but now the thing won't run at all.

I still have the tape and would like to transfer the thing to CD-R.

Although I don't need the tape deck, it would be fun to collect old prerecorded tapes and to transfer them to digital.

5. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I have had my deck serviced twice, tuned-up. The first time I took to one of the better audio dealers and the second time I took it to a firm that repairs A/V equipment for schools. They actually did a better job. Please be advised that you will, most likely, be disappointed with most of those "pre-recorded" reel tapes as most were high-speed transferred and because of time, the tapes have deteriorated. If you get it going, let me know!

Bob

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Old Reel to reels

>>>>I can second my pal Bobs comment on the old pre-recorded reel to reels.

There is a myth that the reel to reel version of an LP was the highest fidelity version of every title.

Hogwash!!

Most of the production reel to reels I had were duplicated at high speed, using the bin loop system, on cheap tape and were culled from a 4th generation master to start with. They had TONs of hiss, and were extremely fragile. Some were Ok, like the ones on A&M Records (Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart, Herb Alpert).

For my money, a clean stereo copy of the LP is the best version to use to transfer. If you have a good playback system and high end turntable, I think you'll really hear the difference, its night and day.

Mikey

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Agreed. I got rid of my short-lived reel machine and reels.
    I still have a reel copy of Abbey Road. It's very nice but........

8. Bob Lovely

Sckott,

Recorded at home reel tapes using professional grade tape and great source material sound better than when I record CD's directly to my CD recorder (HHB). I cannot explain why except that recording CD's to Reel tape probably adds back some analog color and warmth.

9. Grant

Bab,

You're just used to the distortions or colorations that analog tape gives you. That's all. Since I am used to digital, I am also very sensitive to those distortions in the other direction.

10. Bob Lovely

Grant,

From an engineering standpoint, you are probably correct. From a listening standpoint, some of that digital edginess (you know what I mean) is "presto", gone. The mid range has a bit more life. The low end is a little smoother, slower, deeper (w/o EQ). By using high output tape and by recording at the proper level, I can capture the full dynamics on each recording (or close to it). The key is taking great care whether we record in the Analog or Digital domain. If great care is taken, the results can be very, very satisfying. If you ever get that Reel recorder working, I plan on sending you some music, recorded my way. That would be fun!...and I believe that you will be pleased with the results as I have faith that would be pleased with your re-mastering work in the digital domain.

Bob:)

11. Grant

Well Bob. I hate to disagree with you there, but I don't hear "digital harshness" on many CDs.:confused:

12. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I do on some and not on many. CD's that are well mastered--no. CD's that poorly are mastered--yes. CD-R's that I make at home--rarely. As an example, those Varese Sarabande Then volumes have a digital harshness, an edginess. The Nuggets box has a shrill harshness on some tracks. CD's mastered by Steve never do.

13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I bought a 7" reel of Jethro TUll's "Stand Up" on reel. The cover and the plastic reel had everything intact. The TAPE in the reel was more like old pudding. It was just physically bad. BAD I TELL YOU!

So, I took some BASF I sponged of the old radio station I worked with, as that stuff they throw away on a daily basis, and re-recorded the reel, and wound it back in. I even reversed the sides, as side 1 for the reel is actually the side 2 of the LP. I used the MFSL CD to master it.

Wow. Even at scummy little 3 3/4 IPS! DAMN!

But I sold it all. I told myself, I'll either get a Teac, Tascam or an Otari that uses the 12" reels and flies at 15 or 30 IPS. No need to hog this equipment and not use it as much.

Oh, and the SACD player was new at the time, so the reel hoby, as silly as it was, stopped there.

No, Bob.. I worked in radio, used 1/2 track tape more than I did the bathroom in the place. Love the sound. Not to be laughed at. :)

14. Bob Lovely

Sckott,

Interesting story--thanks for sharing!

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.