THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Very good description of what I heard as well.

2. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

I got my upgrades today and I am enjoying them. Added the NEO PSU, FONO MC and the Ania cartridge! So far so good, and it helps that I played a UHQR and a Mobile Fidelity One-Step so the sound is great :righton:

Echoes Myron and MonkeyTennis like this.
  3. NMDan

NMDan Forum Resident

New guy here. Great forum.
    I just added a P8 / Apheta3 to my system. After 44 years with a Thorens TD125MKII, I figured it was time to step into the modern era... I can't part with the Thorens though, at least not yet.
    When I bought the P8, I was looking at the Fono MC to go with. The salesman talked me into a MoFi studio instead and with the necessary gain needed by the Apheta3 there is a good deal of noise from the MoFi unit at higher volume. I just ordered a Aria Mk3 to replace it. Should be here in a few days.
    Loving my Rega gear.

KT88, Art K, Noel Patterson and 5 others like this.
  4. DeanoBee

I have the Fono MC with my Ania, but at the Apheta3 level, you sure need one that is higher end! Congrats on the P8 and Apheta3 :righton:

NMDan likes this.
  5. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Congratulations on your new turntable! Hopefully you have many years of enjoyment with it! I went through a similar upgrade recently and happy with my P8/Apheta 3 with Aria Mk3.

NMDan and DeanoBee like this.
  6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Congrats! Next upgrade should be an aluminum subplatter (such as Groovetracer). Enjoy!

DeanoBee likes this.
  7. Echoes Myron

I love my Apheta 3/Aria pairing. Immaculate detail, tight bass, huge soundstage.

GordonM, NMDan and DeanoBee like this.
  8. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

Welcome and congratulations on your new TT. I’ve recently upgraded from a Rega P3 to the P8 (albeit with a Dynavector 10x5MKII cart). The P8 just continues to wow me and is even better now that it is burnt in. I’m sure it’ll bring you many, many years of enjoyment.

GordonM, NMDan and Echoes Myron like this.
  9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I’ve no connection, but Lintone Audio in the UK has a Queen’s Jubilee-linked Rega products sale, with 20% off all new stock and 25% off display stock (same with NAIM too). Amps, decks etc.

DeanoBee likes this.
  10. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

RP8 owner here with Ortofon 2m bronze. Recently upgraded my system to McIntosh from Parasound. Now using the phono pre in my Mc C47 with Mc MC275 tube amp.

Was toying with the idea of replacing the RP8 with a P10 or VPI however I’m happy with my current setup since the Mc upgrade. The phono pre in the C47 brings out the best in RP8 and sounds pretty amazing.

May switch to a Rega cart when it’s time to replace the bronze.

Echoes Myron and DeanoBee like this.
  11. Echoes Myron

I like the 2M Bronze (currently have in one of my systems), but your RP8 can support much better carts. I would definitely try a nice MC cartridge before upgrading the table. The Apheta 3 would be perfect if your budget permits.

Cupids_bow likes this.
  12. padreken

padreken Senior Member

I got my Planar 10/Apheta 3 last September-it’s everything I’ve ever wanted in an analog front end and continues to amaze on a daily basis. Best purchase I’ve ever made in audio, hands down.

Echoes Myron and DeanoBee like this.
  13. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Good suggestion thanks. I’ve been wanting to try an MC.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

Recent P8 owner. Upgraded from the P6. Have a Sumiko Blue Point 3 High output cart on right now. Absolutely amazing turntable.

15. michael launer

michael launer Well-Known Member

Purchased a refurbished P25 with Hana EH and am very happy. Sounds great in my Naim system. Maybe a P8 someday though!

16. Echoes Myron

This is exactly how I feel about my RP10.

plastico likes this.
  17. KWJ2

KWJ2 Forum Resident

Well down the rabbit hole I go or should I say down the Rega hole I go
    I bought a Rega Planar 8 with the Apheta 3 and I was so blown away with
    the sound. Coming from heaver tables I was also very impressed with the looks.
    As I talked with more people about the P8 the one thing I kept hearing and reading
    was synergy and how Rega products work so well with each other so after more reading and
    bean counting I ordered a new Rega Aria MK3 Phono stage to replace my Allnic H1201
    and a Rega Aethos integrated to replacle my Naim Uniti Atom.
    Going to keep my Dynaudio special 40's should have both units by the weekend fingers crossed.
    I haven't been this excited about new audio gear in a long time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

I can't imagine this sounding any less than fantastic. I love my Rega separates but the Aethos is awfully tempting.
    Congrats to you - let us know how it sounds.

GordonM, Echoes Myron and DeanoBee like this.
  19. NMDan

NMDan Forum Resident

Nice. I did the same. When I bought the P8 & Apheta 3 the salesman talked me into a MoFi StudioPhono preamp but I quickly traded it for an Aria Mk3.

You won't be disappointed.

20. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I have had huge enjoyment from my P8/Apheta3->Aria->Elicit-R rig since I got it earlier in the year.

I recently got a open-box Rega Io and have a pair of Kytes on order for my desktop setup. I’m kind of excited about that!

Echoes Myron and this_machine like this.
  21. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

Checking back into this thread - I’ve switched from the Rega Ania MC to a Hana SL after a lost channel problem on the Ania, with positive results. The Hana mates well with my P25/Aria/Elex-R Rega stack. Still under 10 hours use on the Hana but I’m digging it. It’s such a tidy turnkey system that’s easy to live with and handles diverse genres with aplomb.

this_machine likes this.
  22. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Rega Brio R seems to outperform other amps in it's price range and used allows an opportunity for audiophiles with a low budget to get in the door with an exceptional sounding amp. The Rega Elex R is a serious amp of audiophile quality sound if you can afford it.

Ro-Go, Ivand and kiddo4 like this.
  23. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Thats a splendid combo, so very musically satisfying.

GordonM likes this.
  24. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

The Elex-R sound better than many amps twice its price, and more.

MonkeyTennis and Ivand like this.
  25. DeanoBee

I recently went from the Exact (due to static issues) to the Ania MC, and so far so good!. I did toy with the idea of upgrading to the Ania Pro but I was buying an MC phono stage at the same time so saved some $$.

Mr. Dean and maglorine like this.