THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Hopefully ideal for my desktop application. Small number of inputs and relatively low volume at nearfield.

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I sold my very loved Rega separates and went Osiris. Never looked back

SME12A, Echoes Myron and _cruster like this.
  3. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Check my profile. I don’t think anyone can be more Rega than yours truly. I honestly think Roy should come make a personal visit to my house!!!!

Plinko, LaserBeam, McLover and 4 others like this.
  4. Slimpickens

Slimpickens Forum Resident

Profile checked and verified! He should! Amazing setup! :pineapple:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I had a very similar setup to yours going thru the (original) LS50s until I upgraded to bigger KEFs and Aethos.

The Elicit-R is a fantastic amp. I temporarily have it back in my system while my Aethos will be getting serviced. The Elicit doesn't have the grunt of the Aethos, but I really love its analytical approach. It really separates the musical details with pinpoint accuracy and does very cool stuff with imaging. I love it when an instrument or vocal suddenly appears from behind your head or way out in the room. Great tonal balance with the KEFs as well.

this_machine, Porkpie and GordonM like this.
  6. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

I'm still in the Rega 'dark ages'. I've retired my lovely Mira 3 integrated amp to a TV/movie system in the living room w/ Dynaudio Emit M10 small monitors. It sounds good, but a bit too warm and flat for dialogue. Like a lot of manufactures, they also have become expensive for me to upgrade for my music system, when my disposable income has gone down.

[​IMG]

7. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

As I have mentioned upthread, I have the Elicit-R drive a pair of LS50 meta. I can only dream of Reference 1 meta! (I heard a (edit: very brief) quick demo of the LS60 wireless actives the other week - but that’s another thing altogether and not for a Rega thread!)

I have not heard but have seen the Aethos - lovely looking amp and it has some physical heft! I am sure with the right elements either side of it it sounds absolutely wonderful. I have no regrets or complaints regarding the Elicit-R and purchased it a little before the Elicit Mk5 was announced or became available. I don’t think I have seen much user feedback regarding the Elicit Mk5 amp, how it compares to other amps in their lineup and with the Elicit-R. I think it is a good looking amp and would have been tempted given the addition of DAC inputs.

My ‘new’ Rega Io is being fed by laptop USB via a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, with the other line input connected to an aged Sony CD player or optionally a Aiwa cassette tape deck. No turntable in my desktop setup! I will hopefully get the Kytes within a few weeks.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. KWJ2

KWJ2 Forum Resident

Got the Rega P8 with Apheta 3 last week and just arrived today my new Rega Aethos integrated amp.
    its a beast now hopefully my Rega Aria phono stage will show up today or tomorrow that would be great.
    I'm currently using a loaner Goldnote PH 10 not bad but wish it was my Rega.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I sure wish they would upgrade the look of the Osiris. The Aethos is so much better looking….

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. Echoes Myron

One small thing that triggers my OCD is they changed the the black on the Aethos to more of a charcoal color. It doesn't match my RP10 power supply or Aria v2.

11. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

I'm honestly surprised they've let it go this long. I know they're not quick to make changes but the Osiris hasn't changed one whit since it was released, which was...2010?

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Maybe a limited market due to the price?

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

That’s odd

14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I have the exact same set up! Enjoy, it’s always a pleasure to sit down and listen to vinyl on this system :cheers:

Echoes Myron and KWJ2 like this.
  15. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

Maybe, but...it feels like people shopping in that price range might overlook something that hasn't been updated in over 12 years. Obviously, that's no reflection of quality. It sells to a reasonably small-ish subset of hifi buyers anyway, and automatically eliminating a bunch of those who would skip over it because it feels a bit "long in the tooth" seems strange. Although...I guess the Isis has never been updated at all either, so - maybe this is Rega intentionally saying, "We made the best thing we can make, no need to fiddle with it."

I mean, I still want both an Osiris and an Isis!

16. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

It was an RP3 with a Shure V15 that got me back into vinyl about 17 years ago. I really ought to be mad at Roy Gandy, as I don't want to think about how much he has cost me in dollars since. On the other hand, I should thank him for the joy he brought back to my life.

Tony A. and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. rpd

rpd Senior Member

They are both great, but the Osiris is pretty ugly

Echoes Myron likes this.
  18. Echoes Myron

Maybe I was imagining it before, but I just noticed the Aethos no longer has the "Reference" designation on the Rega UK website.

19. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Are you sure it ever did???

20. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

My only piece of Rega gear is a P3-2000 I bought used. A couple of weeks ago I re-lubed the Groovemaster subplatter and was instantly reminded of why I love this thing.

With family and work I don't get to play it much, so I don't keep a regular maintenance sched. But those couple of drops of gear oil make a big difference, kinda like making sure all your tires are properly inflated.

ejman likes this.
  21. Echoes Myron

I may have been imagining it but pretty sure. :)

this_machine likes this.
  22. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

Interesting - I'll second this; I'm pretty sure it was listed with "REF" all the times I've coveted it on the site.

Echoes Myron and this_machine like this.
  23. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Have to throw it out now

_cruster and Echoes Myron like this.
  24. KWJ2

KWJ2 Forum Resident

Final Rega component arrived today. In two weeks of buying selling and trading I went from
    a Acoustic Signature WOW XXL turntable with Phasmation PP-200 cartridge, Allnic H1201
    phono stage and a Naim Uniti Atom to
    an all new Rega planar 8 with a Apheta 3 cartridge, Rega Aria MK3 phono stage and a
    Rega Aethos integrated amplifier
    [​IMG]

25. maellen

maellen Nasi Lemak

Great synergy. Speakers are Rega as well?