THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

The Aria has multiple linear power supplies, the main one is toroid based.

2. s09931

s09931 Well-Known Member

Hey all, so I have a Rega Apollo cd player that is refusing to play cd's all of a sudden. I bought it off ebay a year or so ago and it was fine. However, now it skips or just flat out doesn't play tracks. It recognises a cd is there after initialisation, but playback is faulty. How would I go about fixing this? I'd be happy to fix it myself (replacing the laser if that's the issue) but is there a step by step guide?

3. michael launer

michael launer Well-Known Member

Sounds like the laser mech is going bad.

4. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

Take it to a rega dealer. It will be covered by their lifetime warranty against manufacturing defect won't it ??

s09931 likes this.
  5. s09931

s09931 Well-Known Member

Would this still be valid if I purchased the cd player second-hand? I suppose I can try it.

6. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

The end of one of the RCA cables on my Rega P8 is extremely tight. Like, so tight that I can’t push it all the way into the input on my phono preamp. There’s about an eighth of an inch gap and removing it is also quite difficult.

Is there any way to loosen it just a bit? The other one is completely fine.

7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

The RCA connectors of the Planar 8 are the locking type, you need to unscrew the silver barrel, slide the connector on to the female RCA then gently tighten. Think its in the manual.

Porkpie, Mr. Dean and goldwax like this.
  8. goldwax

You are a genius, or at least smart enough to have read the manual.

Aftermath, MC Rag and Morbius like this.
  9. Mark Shred

As far as I'm aware, yes. It should work. The last Rega dealer I was using informed me that used Rega products still had a lifetime warranty, as long as they had not been modified.

s09931 likes this.
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I had the same issue last week with the P10, took me a bit to figure out I just needed to loosen them.

goldwax likes this.
  11. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Hopefully they are no longer supplying those plugs.
    The new Couple 3 have nearly as good plugs a Couple 1, only nearly.
    Couple 2 can be a nightmare, good cables aside.

goldwax likes this.
  12. goldwax

My P8 is one of the earlier ones, i think. It came with the old-look PSU, for one thing.

13. Mark Shred

I quite like the look of the older PSU. They are exactly the same internals as the newer one.

goldwax likes this.
  14. goldwax

Yeah, me too. I think it looks slightly higher end, actually.

Mark Shred likes this.
  15. Mark Shred

I agree. I had the older style psu with my P3 and P6. The P8 I had on demo also had the older style psu. However, my P8 has the new one. The newer one is a little.....Meh. Looks OK, but the older one looked more purposeful.

goldwax likes this.
  16. s09931

s09931 Well-Known Member

So I ended up buying the Rega Apollo 35th Anniversary Edition (one on eBay was a decent price and I needed to replace my Apollo). Can anybody give me any more information on this model? I've done a brief google search but I'm curious to learn more about it.

17. Pmds55889397

I've had it back then, very similar sound - if just that bit better - as Rega Apollo of that vintage.
    A lot better design and looks.
    Some refinements of components if memory recall, Saturn clock and better capacitors.
    Limited numbers made.

s09931 likes this.
  18. Jazzabana

Jazzabana Qobuz all the way

I can hear the difference between elex-r's phono stage, elicit-r's phono stage and rega fono mm mk3. And I think mm mk3 is superior to the other two. I own a fono mk3 and was thinking to upgrade. So the dealer got an aria demo unit I can borrow. When I go to pick it up I will try to demo all aforementioned phono stages again.
    Interesting comment by your dealer though. I used to own a schiit mani previous to fono mk3 and my yamaha 2100 has a phono. And I don't think it is superior to fono mk3 either, just different tastes.

19. espendo

espendo Forum Resident

So, I was perusing the internet for some Rega stuff and stumbled over this nice thread! I love all things Rega and have treated myself to an all-Rega system. Rega speakers are seldom on sale here in Norway, but found some R5's used last year.

System:

Rega RP8 with Exact
    Rega Elex-R
    Rega R5

And here's a picture:

[​IMG]

redwun, Frazeur1, Chris_PNW and 19 others like this.
  20. Pmds55889397

Looks good but the vinyl furniture will unfortunately limit the performance from those nice speakers, I'm sure you already know.

espendo likes this.
  21. espendo

espendo Forum Resident

Life is a compromise. They do sound very nice to my ears and I'm settling for that now. When the kids move out, the speakers will have more space!

wellers73, Clay B, luckyno13 and 2 others like this.
  22. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Nice setup! My setup is also almost all Rega

Rega Planar 3 2016 with Rega NEO psu and Exact PU
    Rega Elex-R
    Rega RX - One speakers
    Rega cables

=)

espendo and GordonM like this.
  23. rpd

rpd Senior Member

What vinyl furniture?

24. espendo

espendo Forum Resident

Isn' that all Rega :)

I don't have Rega cables, as they are not easy to get by here...

25. espendo

espendo Forum Resident

I can add that the side-firing bass ports are nice to have inwards when they are not obstructed, while for me they do work very well firing outwards. Now, my room is not ideal in any sense, but to me this is the beauty of these Rega Speakers: They work very well in different constellations (inwards/outwards firing) and close to the wall/separated from the wall. They play with engagement and drive, have a very nice mid-range and bass is tight and loud enough for my ears.

Catcher10 and GordonM like this.