THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

I had that integrated amp for a while. It had a very nice sound and needed careful pairing w/ the right speakers and cabling to sound its best. Plus it had a beautiful look to it and the remote was superb.

2. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

"Echoes Myron, post: 31646047, member: 72162"]What is the instruction about counterbalance? I'm not familiar with the 1mm from surface metric.

Cartridge mounting and setting up the RB880 tonearm
    Firstly, ensure the cartridge fixings are orientated correctly according to the cartridge makers specification. Use the cartridge
    alignment protractor (supplied) to accurately set the position of the cartridge (note: overhang is automatically set when using all
    3 point fixing Rega cartridges). Ensure that the tracking force dial (A) and bias adjustment slider (B) are both set to zero. Place the
    balance weight (C) on to the balance weight shaft. With the stylus guard removed, position the cartridge above the lead-in groove of
    an LP. Whilst supporting the headshell, carefully push the weight further up the shaft until the stylus is floating, just 1 mm clear of
    the record.
    The recommended tracking force can now be applied using the tracking force dial. Always use a force which corresponds to the
    upper limit of the cartridge makers recommended range. Finally, push the bias adjustment slider to the same number as the
    tracking force control (i.e. 1.75 tracking pressure = set bias slider to 1.75). If in any doubt, please contact your Rega dealer.

This is from the Rega website but my manual goes on to say,in addition
    Note:This is not critical and a figure between 1.0 & 1.5 will normally be suitable for most moving magnet cartridges and
    1.5 & 2.0 for most moving coil cartridges.

I have no idea why this last paragraph does not appear on the website. I was going to attach a pdf of the relevant page of my manual but could not find how to attach a scanned pdf.

3. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Oh I see. It is just a proxy for setting zero on the tonearm VTF guage before increasing the VTF.

Yes this is a common challenge with setup on most tonearms I have found. It is difficult to find level whithout the tonearm swinging back to the armrest.

The main goal is you have found zero when the cartridge neither drops down on to the record nor springs wildly upward.

I actually don't worry too much about perfection at this step. It is just to calibrate the guage, but because one typically uses a scale to set VTF, having the guage a little off is kind of irrelevant.

4. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

Until this TT had never heard of the 1mm off the LP arrangement. The arm being parallel to the platter was always my benchmark. I use a test record to set up a bit more precisely. I know some people do not like test records
    but I have always found a help.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yeah floating/parallel typically = 0. I would not get too hung up on this detail unless you want the VTF dial to be completely accurate.

6. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

Rega's recommended method of setting the counterweight is to "float" the tonearm so it's 1mm above the surface of a record.

If you've got the anti-skate set to 0, your arm shouldn't be trying to return to "rest" position, though it will tend to want to swing in or out since there is no tension keeping it in place. Make sure you've got both the anti-skate and tracking force set to zero for this step. There are a couple of setup videos around; I found seeing the steps helpful the first time I set up my RP8. Here's one of the man himself setting up a P8; you can see from time to time he just gently holds the arm in place with a fingertip.

vinylvin, Art K and Echoes Myron like this.
  7. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

Yes I saw that not the greatest of videos. Do not think it is meant to be instructional. Love how the PSU is on the same shelf as the TT they make a big thing about having it as far away from the TT as possible.
    Read earlier about using the Rega alignment protractor that has just the one reference point. As somebody said better to use the Baerwald setting unlike the Gandywald one.:righton:

8. digreyfox

digreyfox Forum Resident

Certainly, just leaves out the simple matter of not transforming it into a p10, unless one can spray on an RB3000, different platter, subplatter, hub assembly, bracing, motor and PSU :)

Bogart likes this.
  9. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

I like gut punching bass sometimes, but got rid of my old Rega before I really had gut punching bass. How sensitive is, say the P8, to gut punching bass? Are most people putting their Rega turntables on the wall these days?

For examples of gut punching bass — the 1812 Overture, Lorde’s Royals, etc.

10. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

I have an older planar 3 but with rb330 arm. I am thinking of speed control to avoid moving the belt.

What works with 120v motor?

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You can use the current Rega PS if you upgrade to the 24v motor.

12. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

Yes, i know. I want to avoid that cost. Not cheap in canada.

Yes a speed control box that accepts 120v. I think Project made one?

13. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

My P8 on the wall as shown in my Avatar.

GungaLagunga likes this.
  14. digreyfox

digreyfox Forum Resident

Definitely sensitive to lack of isolation. Had mine on an Ikea console and between my floorstanders, moved the tt to the lp shelves, away from the speakers and out of their crossfire, and the sound improved dramatically (noise, imaging, overall resolution). just went further and got an isolation base and imaging further improved.

TL:DR- Low mass demands good isolation.

GungaLagunga likes this.
  15. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Just scored an Aria Mk 1 to go with my Planar 8 and Apheta 3. Holy cow!

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Music Hall version. MUSIC HALL CC2.0 SPEED CONTROL

17. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I have a P2 with pre-fitted Carbon cart in second system. Thinking of using an Elys 2 I have to hand but I think this cart is less tall then the Carbon. How would this work?

18. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

Will be fine. Yes is Elys is not as tall, some 2mm shorter I believe. Honestly on aP2 doubt it makes much of a difference, no offence meant. If you want to keep geometry as it was use a double mat, original mat plus an extra LP or a spacer under the headshell.

19. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

No issue with cartridge height.
    But you might insert another/better stylus tip on the Carbon instead ?
    This is cheaper and better fineline tips available, Elys is Elliptical, if new you might resell it ?

chrism1971 likes this.
  20. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

Carbon has no upgrade replacement stylus only same again.

21. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

The Rega Carbon is a relabelled AT3600 so there are a bunch of different replacements that'll work including fine line stylus options such as Tonar , LP Gear etc.

22. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I guess this one would work Tonar H-Flip Replacement Stylus - Analogue Seduction

23. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Agree with Bogart. A 2mm spacer (which I think Rega sell) should resolve if you want to be precise. As he’s also said, you can’t just replace the stylus on a Rega cartridge, so that option is further down the track if you go instead with a non-Rega, Carbon replacement where you can just change the stylus.

24. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

chrism1971 likes this.
  25. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Your right and wrong
    From Rega there's none but as its a relabelled Audio Technica 3600, lots of better stylus available - look around.
    Carbon is conical.