THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

2. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

Correct but how many people who have a Rega with the carbon know that? Rega are not going to tell you for sure.

3. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Sorry - tell you what? I think Rega's line on the Carbon is that it's a complete solution at the low end of their range; with the P1 there's little point in changing it (though maybe a new stylus would improve), but with the P2 they make it clear you can usefully upgrade the cartridge in an RB220. My previous question really related to the height of the Carbon vs the height of Rega's other MM carts, which would make an Audio-Technica or even a Goldring a better solution.

4. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

Well a dealer should be able to get that info for you. All I know is that other Rega cartridges have a height of 14mm.

5. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Sure any dealer would get you some info from their own selling stock.

Would they tell you Carbon is a rebranded Audio Technica and that you can source better stylus online ? Nah..
    I'd seek info from users, but your right average people knows little about it.

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It depends how clued up buyers are. I would expect Rega buyers to have had some previous experience with turntables and cartridges. These get sold online but generally Rega rely on their dealers to give advice to purchasers. Anyone can come here for advice as well . Since bias is fixed would suggest another AT for height that tracks at the same VTF. Upgrades are limited but not out of the question.

7. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

I tell customers it's a rebranded AT and that they can source replacement needles with better profiles various sites online. I want them to know as much as possible about the table the own. We're not going to suffer by pointing customers in the right direction even if what they need isn't something we sell. I think most people appreciate it.

8. NMDan

NMDan Forum Resident

Good business model. Take care of your clients and you'll have them for life.

jhenry and michael launer like this.
  9. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I recently started learning how to do needledrops. I was worried that my Planar 1 with VM95ML would be revealed as inferior when I started critically listening on my monitors. I've spent the last few days comparing (same pressings) to some of the well known needledrops and it's astonishingly close. Perhaps a bit drier sounding, a mite less luscious in the bass and mids. But I suspect that's more a matter of carts and preamps than the table.

I do think I might be getting a bit more surface noise, the grinding of the needle in the groove. But noise reduction is used quite heavily in the needledrops I'm comparing against. Jury is out.

All in all I feel lucky to have chosen the P1 as my first turntable in 30 years. It's a lot of bang for the buck, here in the UK at least. One day I'll probably upgrade to the P3 but I can't see myself wanting to go further than that.

FramboGND likes this.
  10. digreyfox

digreyfox Forum Resident

Shipping soon ("NEW MATT WHITE FINISH - Previewed at the Bristol hi-fi show these three models are available to order now in the new matt white finish. P6, P8 and P10 at the same price as the current Polaris grey versions.")

Personally I find the p8 looks better in grey, oddly enough. The p10 is just gorgeous in white, though (same plinth, I know, but the white platter and grey arm give it a completely different look). Can't wait for mine to arrive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeff Yerkey, Porkpie, Djohm and 7 others like this.
  11. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

I want a silver top loading CD player, and as a very happy owner of an original Planar 2, the Rega Planet (second version)/Apollo (first version) with the same casework fit the bill. Anything I should be wary of picking one of these up used?

12. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I'd love a P8 in white. I have a gray rack so my gray P8 blends disappears even more!

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  13. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

Ditto - I’ve also got the white Rega wall bracket. The P8 in white, matched with the bracket, would look great… Not sure I can justify switching out a 7 month old P8 just for a change of colour :(

14. MonkeyTennis

The P10 looks the best of the bunch. But I do like the P8 in white. I wonder if it is the black tonearm which is throwing out your feng shui on the P8? It’s a pity they didn’t think to do something with that… The match of the P10 silver tonearm defo works better with the white plinth.

goldwax and GordonM like this.
  15. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

Would be a waste of money. I quite like mine in grey can look okay when matched with other colour finishes.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  16. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

I had been seriously contemplating an upgrade from the P8 to P10 and the look of the new white finish seals the deal. I just placed a pre-order for a white P10 with Taylor @GoldprintAudio

Per Rega twitter, end of April is anticipated for arrival in the US

17. MonkeyTennis

Congrats :)

Are you planning on sticking with the same cart? I for one would love to hear your impressions of the P10 against the P8 when you receive it and have had chance to listen.

18. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

White P10 next you will be wanting a white Naia:cool:

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  19. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Seen from side I dislike the visible foam on the skeletal Rega's, white doesn't change my way of seeing it, dealbreaker unfortunately.
    I'd want a P6 style matte colour with RB3000 thanks.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  20. MonkeyTennis

Ah, I have friends who feel exactly the same way - and so you are not alone. I also get, viewed from certain perspective it does appear unfinished. Personally, I love the stark contrast of white on black. But totally get your perspective: beauty is, afterall, in the eye of the beholder :)

GordonM likes this.
  21. Fjb

Fjb New Member

Hi, just found this thread, getting my first Rega, a P10 soon. Quite excited. It'll come with the Apheta3, any other suggestions on carts that go well with it.
    Could be MM or MC.
    Thanks!

22. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

Yes indeed, transferring my Apheta 3 from the 8 to the 10. Will be sure and follow-up with my experience.

MonkeyTennis and GordonM like this.
  23. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

LOL, it might be tempting but for me at the Naia price point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in AND that table probably deserves the Aphelion 2 (or maybe there will be a 3 by then) and that's another $6000...yikes!

Bogart and MonkeyTennis like this.
  24. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

;)

£655 can be saved with Naia + Aphelion 2

[...
    The Rega Naia is set to offer almost Naiad levels of performance at a more attainable, albeit still premium, price. It could also give Planar 10 owners something to upgrade to should they feel the need.

That premium price is said to be around £9,200 for the turntable and arm, and then £12,00 with the Aphelion 2 MC fitted. Although, the latter does save you £655 on the cost of the cartridge, which is £3,465 when bought separately. So, that's something to bear in mind.
    ]
    Rega Naia High-End Turntable Revealed

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  25. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Can someone explain what the point is of leaving the cheap looking foam interior of the plinth exposed? Why not cover it with piece of lamination?