THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie Thread Starter

I just bought this TT too, love it!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Just picked up an Exact 2 at my local shops Black Friday sale!

3. Fruff76

What’s a fair price for a used Elys 2? It still has life in it.

4. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

My first "real" system was Planet>Brio>RS1's. I was very happy with it ...

If I had to nominate the best value-for-money hifi brand, it'd be Rega.

Noel Patterson and Echoes Myron like this.
  5. Fruff76

I just listed the Elys 2 in the marketplace for $100

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. Noel Patterson

I agree, I think it's well above the others in this category, like Nad, Rotel, Cambridge. All of those brands are good but I feel like Rega just does it that much better. As long as you don't need all the bells and whistles.

7. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Currently running an Elex-R of which I am very fond. Had a demo of the Elicit-R at the start of the year and wasn’t sure. I get the impression the Elex-R was the sweet spot for you. Would you be willing to elaborate on the differences between it and the Elicit-R?

GordonM and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Very different sonic signature. Much more "neutral" sounding whereas the Brio and Elex were "lively". If you want a more developed Elex you need to skip to the Aethos really.

9. Trash collector

Trash collector Member

Perhaps you should visit a Rega dealer and audition the new Rega decks? There is a video on YouTube that compares the the previous rp3 to the new planar 3 here is the link

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Thanks for the suggestion. Given the mods I have made on my 3, I'd definitely go straight to the Planar 6.

11. Noel Patterson

On my P2, the stock cartridge is the Carbon. Id like to hear some suggestions for the next step up let's keep it between 2-300 cad. Was looking at the Bias-2 or the Nagaoka Mp-110. Thoughts? I need it to be easy to install, as I have to do it myself and have very limited experience doing it, so would prefer no messing about with shims, etc.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  12. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I upgraded to Bias 2, same circumstances re: installation - had to be easy.

Worthwhile improvement.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm not keen on the new foam core design I've been seeing. The Planar 10 at my dealer in the summer had it. I know it is meant to have sound benefits as part of their light-weight rigid plinth philisophy, but it just doesn't look good to me. I know they use it for the other models from the Planar 6 upwards now. And I've also seen the stories about the warping foam core plinths on the Planar 6. It makes me uneasy when I think about an upgrade to a 6 or 8. But there's a purity I like about the Regas. And I get a sense you need to spend at least twice as much to get as a good turntable from another manufacturer.

AmericanHIFI, Noel Patterson and trd like this.
  14. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

I have a modified P25 that had a Benz Glider SM on it until the suspension gave out. Ortofon lists the RB600 as compatible with the Quintet series. I put a Cadenza Blue on it with no trouble. These arms are under-rated IMO as my P25 is 20 years old now.

AmericanHIFI and maglorine like this.
  15. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

Most of my "grown-up" gear has been Rega. To be fair I haven't that many opportunities to compare it to other gear, but I'm pretty happy with my setup. Sometimes I get a bit of "wanderlust" and shop the internet, then decide..."Oh, man - I gotta upgrade (x)!" When I sit down and listen, though...it's practically transformative. Current system is RP8, Rega Cursa pre, Rega Exon monoblocks, Rega RS5 (along with an AT cartridge and a Graham Slee Accession). I think Rega offers the best bang for the buck, their customer service is among the best I've ever experienced, and I think they just make good gear that sounds good.

16. Noel Patterson

I'm the same, it's not in me to stick with pieces of gear for very long. And I know there are presumably better components out there, but when I sit and listen I'm too afraid of just messing up what I enjoy so much!

hitmanhart408, _cruster and Fruff76 like this.
  17. Trash collector

Trash collector Member

Then the Rega Bias 2 is the way to go. No shims would be involved, and the Bias / antiskate on the p2 deck would work with the Rega Bias 2. I’m sure you will find the Bias 2, to be a worthwhile upgrade over the carbon

Noel Patterson likes this.
  18. Mookielagoo

Mookielagoo Marky-mark Vinyl Nut

The rack works well..great isolation from the floor etc and my p6 seems to be happy (wall is stone block which helps)

19. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

I have a P2 with a Groovetracer Reference sub-platter, AT VM 95 ML cartridge and the Little Belter blue belt! The colour makes all the difference! Seriously, all worthwhile upgrades. I wasn't sure what to expect with the sub-platter upgrade, but was blown away by the difference. Now I know what "noise floor" means. With the cartridge, I initially tried the LP Gear elliptical, which was an improvement on the stock conical on the Carbon, and a cheap upgrade. The VM 95 ML was a big jump up in quality. I'd recommend all these upgrades, even if it does put you in the same ballpark as a P3, price wise. Has anyone compared a similarly modified P2 up against a P3 or higher?

GordonM likes this.
  20. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

I've been real happy with the AT VM95 ML. No shims required, and captive nuts, missus!

Noel Patterson and GordonM like this.
  21. RP8 with Hana ML cart

[​IMG] [​IMG]

22. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

a VM95e is half price of Bias and much better ime

23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Maz, you have impeccable taste! Where did the credenza come from?

AmericanHIFI and Mazzy like this.
  24. Well thank you. A local furniture maker here in Seattle. CABINETS — YOSHIHARA FURNITURE Co.

Dan Steele, IRG and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. Arknine

Arknine Forum Resident

Beautiful, where (how?) do you store your vinyl?

Echoes Myron likes this.