THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Agreed about the Rega Dac R, it is excellent! I bought one used about a month ago and I love it.

bhazen and Noel Patterson like this.
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I just got my RP10 back from a pro setup, using the same Apheta 2 cart as before. I had been planning to replace it after two years of daily use, but the tech said the current stylus checked out perfectly under the microscope.

Anyway he said despite the recommended VTF of 1.75-2 grams, it actually tracked the best at 2.5g.

I have notice LPs with sibilance before now play flawlessly. Sound is maybe a touch thicker, but highs are still perfect. So I am sticking with it. I also now have a new Apheta 3 ready for when it eventually does come time to replace the 2.

Just thought I would share the VTF experience.

hifisoup, Dmann201, jheyesen and 5 others like this.
  3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

4. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback ... I’ve been happy with the USB connection from my Mac Mini to Rega DAC-R ... I shall follow your lead and try the Toslink

action pact likes this.
  5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Ro-Go and Dennis Metz like this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The only downside - and apparently this is an issue with the optical/headphone jack on the Mac - is once in a while I hear a pop. There will also sometimes be a very quick burst of distortion when I start a listening session and the Mac wakes up from sleep mode. Keep in mind, however, that I have an early 2014 Mac Mini, and it runs kind of sluggishly even after a fresh reinstall of the OS (which is why my company replaced it and I got it for free).

Newscot likes this.
  7. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

My Rega components are on their way to becoming vintage. Rega P9, Saturn, Elicit, and DAC. I use the DAC with a Chromecast Audio as my streamer.

The Elicit doesn’t get much action. The plan was to replace the Audio Research amp with the Elicit and make a neat little stack of three Rega boxes. Now the dream is it goes to a bedroom system with ProAc Tablette speakers.

[​IMG]

8. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

This is from Rega. I cannot wait to open it.

[​IMG]

Plinko, jheyesen, MC Rag and 5 others like this.
  9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

What is it?

10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Something that will need an upgraded power supply? ;)

JakeMcD likes this.
  11. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Thanks again for the feedback ... good to know as my Mac Mini is also the 2014 model.

12. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

It is this. No upgraded power supply needed for this one, though I am certain it will run fast. :agree: Merry Christmas all.

[​IMG]

ThorensSme, cut-out, shug4476 and 4 others like this.
  13. Echoes Myron

Oh that is awesome. I love my Elicit-R!

You should definitely try your Exact into the onboard MM phono stage. I really enjoyed that combination.

JakeMcD likes this.
  14. The Killer Piglet

The Killer Piglet Forum Resident

Just got the P10 a few weeks ago, first table since HS.

The tube and headphones boxes are strategically placed to discourage cat and girlfriend traffic.

KP

[​IMG]

15. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Nice view. I work in downtown Biscayne, or at least did until the end of March before escaping. Will be back to see the ocean soon. I bet the cat is undeterred!

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  16. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Ok, I have set up my new Elicit-R and must say that the jury is most decidedly out. Both of us need time to adjust to each other. Mama could not be happier with the clean look and avoidance of wires, additional gear, etc. I concur with reviews of it offering a very detailed presentation, and it is brick simple to use. I feel I have lost some bottom end at lower listening volumes compared to my previous amp. There is plenty more information in the middle and the top, so much so that I am making use of my speaker's roll off settings for the mid tweeter and high tweeters (-3DB). Never made use of those before, now I'm happy they are there. I am sure I will keep it (Happy Mama) but as these old speakers are actually designed to be bi-amped, that may be a future path to return The Thunder to this space. Maybe stick some Wired4Sound class D monoblocks in the cabinet out of sight.

[​IMG]

17. Echoes Myron

Nice system! I love my Elicit-R. What was your prior amp?

18. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

If that is Linn Isobarik loudspeakers ? they need a dedicated stand to raise them some distance from floor.
    I'd certainly never biwire anything, that's not doing any good for amp, speakers or performance.

19. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! Out of curiosity, how does your tech have the bias set now that VTF is at 2.5g?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  20. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Rega makes some very nice gear, especially for the price.

21. Echoes Myron

It is on the first ring of the antiskate plunger (which I think = 1 gram on the RB2000.) He said he got it to perfectly track with this setting.

jheyesen likes this.
  22. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Check out Soundlux Audio in Wynwood if you haven't. I went to them this past weekend to have them install my new Rega cart and they were amazing. It was like being at disney world. I'll be in contact with them frequently from now on.

The Killer Piglet likes this.
  23. The Killer Piglet

The Killer Piglet Forum Resident

Totally...

[​IMG]

KP

24. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

I might lose my forum card for this, but I was primarily using a Yamaha RX-V2095, a one time flagship AVR from the late 90s. I also have cycled in my NAD BEE-375 and Blue Circle Audio FttH, a hybrid. The Yamaha has the best weightiness/punch of them all, but does not have the detail of the Rega. The Rega is dynamic and fast, so I am sure I will adjust to the new sound signature.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  25. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

These are Ohm I's, one of John Strohbeen's creations intended to blast the neighborhood to bits. Think of them as Isobariks with an addition of a 12" subwoofer chamber tacked on to the bottom just to be ridiculous. If you believe in such ratings, these are rated to handle 1,500 watts. To clarify, I was not referring to bi-wiring them, but bi-amplification, which requires an active outboard crossover and of course another amp. A perfectly legitimate and worthy approach to amplification if you get it right, which is a low percentage pursuit and probably not something I will do. They are 4 ohm/90 db, and sing perfectly fine with much less.

[​IMG]