The rega neo tt psu ,,

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Speedycat69, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut Thread Starter

If your not bothered by the quick change of a single to an album with the rega neo is it worth getting ? Cheers

2. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I have one coming on Thursday. I did it more for the speed control which will hopefully provide better sound.

plastico likes this.
  3. Speedycat69

Ok cheers for reply bin thinking bout getting one for ages.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's not the best upgrade for Planar/RP/P3 for the money. You're better off buying a subplatter. There is an improvement in sound, but nothing of the order that replacing the subplatter offers. The European pricing of the Neo does make it a better deal than it is in the USA. But you can get an aftermarket metal subplatter for around £100. Buy one of those before you go for the Neo, especially if push button speed change is a low priority.

McLover and chrism1971 like this.
  5. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Go for the Neo, it's much better than removing the platter every time you want to change speed and your belt will last longer because you're not handling it all the time. The Neo also has a profound effect on sound quality despite what some non-believers might say.

6. Speedycat69

Dont collect 7 inch singles and the only album ive got on 45 speed is Radiohead Hail to the thief and yeah it is annoying having to lift the platter if i want to play it. But it wdnt be the reason i buy the neo , the sound inprovement would be the one. Some say its a huge inprovement some dont grrr

7. Speedycat69

Have you got to set the speed youreself as some rega neos are slightly off ?

8. dudley07726

I received the Neo a couple of days ago.
    I tried the turntable speed iPhone app. I found it to be fast.
    Went on a vinyl web page and printed some 33 1/3 and 45 rpm strobe discs.
    Used them with an incandescent light and found both to be on the money using the Neo.
    Played some previously unplayed 12 inch 45 rpm McCartney discs (from early to mid 80’s) and they sounded fantastic.
    So much easier with the push of a button.
    Nice unit even though I think it’s a bit overpriced.
    If it keeps the speed accuracy dead on, then I’m okay with it.

9. Speedycat69

Well done dudley ive still to take the leap lol. Sound improvement?

10. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

This is the last upgrade Ive been looking at. Ive upgraded everything else on my p3. I really dont like the price of this unit haha.

11. dudley07726

I don’t know yet. My hearing’s a bit damaged from guitar playing even though I haven’t played much in the last 6 years and playing loud Beatles my whole life. To be honest, I did purchase it because many have heard sound improvement. I didn’t want to accept that I probably wouldn’t hear it. Did I feel like spending some money? Probably. It didn’t sound that bad prior to the purchase of the Neo. At least the speed control is a bonus.

12. Speedycat69

Its a bit cheaper in the uk £236

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Sell the P3 and buy a P6. Better deal and better sub platter +++ and Neo included. No need for 'upgrades'.

14. Heed Orbit works a treat. Bought mine used and its a perfect little gem

15. Speedycat69

A P6 would bring the price to £1300 , im just concerned the Neo psu dosent warrant the £236 outlay for it as i dont play much 45s .

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Rega P6 without cartridge £1049. Less sell P3 without cartridge £400++. less saving on Neo £236. So will cost an extra £413 and maybe less. Get PS better inner platter and better plinth plus much better sound and easy speed change. Win win.

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agreed, if you have a Rega P/RP/Planar 1 or 2 new or old, the Groovetracer Subplatter makes the most audible difference in terms of speed stability, if you don't have the new belt from Rega, get one as well. My old gift Planar 2 was far superior once those two upgrades were done. I have the NEO TT PSU, but I sometimes play 45 RPM titles, so it was justified for that reason. If you don't play a lot of 45 RPM material or don't mind handling the belt, get the subplatter and new belt and be done with it, and you'll get more for your Rega upgrade budget.

Speedycat69 likes this.
  18. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

What new belt? On the new Rega site, there's only one belt listed and it seems like the regular, old belt.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Rega had a white belt previously which was an upgrade to the older one. The new, current belt is still wise, if your belt is older than 4-5 years old. As it's part of the turntable's maintenance needs.

Dr. J. likes this.
  20. Speedycat69

Can you get the groovetracer subplatter in the uk ?

21. Speedycat69

Or any other recoms regarding a sub platter in the uk

22. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

23. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

The Neo is a must for any 24 volt Rega TT model. You can get the speed dead on. You couldn't do that with the previous TT PSU, which was not worth the upgrade for this reason.

I recently replaced the TT PSU with Neo TT PSU and they finally got the fine speed control under control, no matter what platter you use.

24. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

See above post..Neos speed control can be changed with the wrench the comes with it. Put a speed pad on top of a record and use a strobe while adjusting speed with the wrench.

You could not do this with the previous model (TT-PSU). You should just get the P6 with the Neo. It will kill the P3.

25. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

If you have no other upgrades, sell the P3. I Bought the P3 and did the upgrades over time. It's great and I love it but I definitely would've been better off just getting the P6 from the start, but I didn't want to spend the money at the time.

Martin Henry T and AKA-Chuck G like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.