The remix is so good I can’t listen to the original anymore. Any examples?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 19, 2017.

1. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are there any albums or artists where remixes were done so well that you cannot listen to the original anymore? Where the remix destroys the original?

SinnerSaint and DK Pete like this.
  2. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Chicago Chicago
    (Wilson remix from last year)
    So much better.

3. bherbert

I need to give that one a listen. I have only heard the original mixes which I have always liked. I didn’t even know SW remixed this album.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I agree on Chicago II nicely outdoing the original even though I expected more...but if I had the pick THE one remix that lays the original to much needed rest, it's the Wilson remix of Aqualung.

5. bherbert

I have only heard the original which put me off because it obviously sounds dated :hide:

I need to give this one a listen as well.

sound chaser likes this.
  6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't know what your ears are used to in terms of remixed albums but the job on Chicago II can best be described as 'tastefully very subtle". The main "positive" is the much improved clarity most especially on the percussion end. There are also subtle instrumental nuances that are brought out which are not evident on the original mix and the horns, I must say, are crisper with more presence. My only issue initially is that even given these improvements, they were still embedded in that overall thin texture of the original. Chicago II, for some reason, lacked the punchy low end which was on CTA and Wilson didn't do much to change this (maybe he couldn't given the inherent qualities of the original EQ's on the multitracks). Still, if you're a fan of the album, the remix is a must-have.

7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I am excpetcing this thread to be full of Steven Wilson remixes haha. Personally I would say his work with Aqualung, Songs From The Wood, and Fragile are all great improvements on the originals while still retaining what made the originals special in the first place

joelee, Ivand, ARod and 19 others like this.
  8. bherbert

Thanks. I grew up listening to this so I’m gonna get this one. Knowing what a perfectionist SW is I’m sure it sounds great. I always appreciate a remix that brings out the drums a bit more. Where they were maybe a little bit buried in the old mix.

John Buchanan likes this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

It may have been more of a 'remaster' than 're-mix', but The Residents "Not Available" re-issue was like a BIG FOG had been lifted from the music!
    I'll NEVER listen to the original again!

10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Kind of Blue - the clarity afforded by most versions sourced from the 3 track is worth it. The hi res download is great.

I believe most Bob Dylan stereo mixes were remixed in the 90’s but made to closely replicate the originals. I can say I prefer the masterings that use those remixes as a source.

11. bherbert

I think the Elvis 1 cd from 2002 is great. I’m no Elvis fan but the remixes on that cd got me listening. Very well done IMO.

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Did he do CTA also?

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The remix is so good I can’t listen to the original anymore. Any examples?

None whatsoever, dude.

14. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

After a 5.1 mix, I usually have a tough time listening to the original stereo mix. Especially Jethro Tull.

ARod, Wildgift, Lownote30 and 8 others like this.
  15. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

*complete silence*

Saint Johnny and bherbert like this.
  16. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Yeah, gotta throw the Wilson XTC remixes into the ring, especially Oranges & Lemons (my original promo LP sounds extremely thin and harsh now).
    Skylarking is a MASSIVE sound quality improvement and 9 times out of 10 I’ll go for the 2016 but the original has such a unique sonic character that it’s hard to fully decommission it, as amazing as the remix is it isn’t quite the same album I grew familiar with.
    If it means anything Steve I feel this way about the little balance adjustments you and KG made to A Charlie Brown Christmas (though they’re perhaps too minor to consider a full-on remix) - the AP (or a needledrop of it) is the only version I play. :agree:

Jarleboy, vonwegen, ultron9 and 3 others like this.
  17. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Steve Wilson's remixes of XTC and Jethro Tull. :edthumbs:

Remy, perplexed, PhoffiFozz and 12 others like this.
  18. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Bob dylan street legal

Ziggy71, Padre69, Paul W and 26 others like this.
  19. bherbert

Geez, it seems like everybody digs the Jethro Tull remixes. I’m gonna have to go and listen - and probably fork out some $$$

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The Roger Glover remix of Deep Purple's Machine Head sounds better than the original, but I'm used to the original.

Freon, JosepZ, breakingglass and 17 others like this.
  21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

By the way... most of Steve Wilson's remixes are overrated IMO !!!

t213, steviej, SAMAUL and 16 others like this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No, only the 2nd album.

ARK and klockwerk like this.
  23. bherbert

I’m a big fan of remixes but I always find it difficult to find them online. On Amazon, the description does not always mention that the album has been remixed. Sometimes it only says ‘remastered’ where it was actually remixed. Anybody else find it a mission to locate remixes in an artist’s catalogue?

24. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Everything but The Girl’s Missing. The Todd Terry remix is awesome, and makes it one of my favourite tracks of all times. He added the groove. The original (album) version is just to empty sounding for my taste.

The Todd Terry remix:

The original: Everything But The Girl - Missing (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO)

25. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Maurice and bherbert like this.