The remix is so good I can’t listen to the original anymore. Any examples?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

The 1996 Quadrophenia remix/remaster is vastly superior to the 1973 mix/master.

Lewisboogie and mbleicher1 like this.
  2. friend74

friend74 Forum Resident

I think i go with the Wilson Remix of 'Yes - Relayer'.

Plan9 likes this.
  3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

The Ramones 40th anniversary mono mix done by original producer Craig Leon in 2016 is fantastic. When I heard it first, it was so much better than the original mix that I could never hear the original again. Until I heard it again one of these days and rediscovered how great it is, so great I never heard the later mono mix again. Until...

4. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

The Colin Wolfe remix of George Clinton's If Anybody Gets Funked Up (It's Gonna Be You) is waaay better & deeper than the original cut. Best of all, it was included on the same album, The Awesome Power Of A Fully Operational Mothership.

The 12" remix of Little Red Corvette is also pretty great.

5. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

It would be much appreciated if someone could tell me where to find the remixes of The Beach Boys albums. I don’t know which ones to get off Discogs as there have been so many reissues.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

7. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Also, the 12-inch extended version of “Just One Kiss” by the Cure. Worth every second of the 7 minutes.

Lewisboogie and hutlock like this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The stereo remix for Wild Honey was released on the "Sunshine Tomorrow" archival set a couple of years ago, along with other bonus material. The stereo Pet Sounds has had a few different iterations over the years. I have it on DVD-A, along with the surround mix, and this was reissued on the 50th anniversary on Blu-Ray. For Smiley Smile, the 2012 reissue features both mono and stereo, though this seems to be out of print now. It's a shame because hearing the stereo mix made a huge difference for me in this case. Where the old mono always felt murky and claustrophobic to me, the stereo mix allows it to open up and breath, bringing out the little details and the layered vocals.

Lewisboogie and bherbert like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

For the stereo Pet Sounds, I highly recommend the MFSL hybrid SACD.

Lewisboogie, Plan9 and bherbert like this.
  10. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you!

11. George P

George P Notable Member

12. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I have to listen to this one. I have about 3 remasters and.they all sound weird.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That was only released on vinyl, yes?

punkmusick likes this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, only a remix could take care of it.

15. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

It was released in the 40th anniversary deluxe box set from 2016. The box has the mono mix both on vinyl and CD. It is also available in streaming services.

Plan9 likes this.
  16. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

This is a remix I absolutely cannot stand - I'd put at the top of my list of all time worst remixes [just goes to prove how subjective all this stuff is] completely robs the music of its emotion and power and the Americana vibe that made The Band great in the first place. I also think it destroys the overlying harmony and melody in many of the songs by completely destroying the careful layering of the original mix. It's genuinely one where I go 'what were they thinking'?

deadcoldfish, hutlock and hiterss like this.
  17. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

Just one song, but the Police:
    Message In A Bottle (New Classic rock mix).
    I prefer over the original.

Lewisboogie and c-eling like this.
  18. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

Don't know what to tell you man.. I loved it, I'll still keep my AF copy as well
    I just love the clarity and being able to hear a lot better their voices.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

OMD-Raving On The Seven Seas, 1993

20. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

The recent remix of the entire Mr Bad Guy album. If there's one exception to the rule, that's the one.

21. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

With the exception of A Day in the Life, which was ruined beyond my powers of description (not hyperbole -- words fail me every time I listen to the remix and marvel at how completely they destroyed the ghastly, delicate mysteriousness of the original), I haven't listened to the original stereo mix of Sgt Pepper all the way through in 2 years. Tried it a couple of times, switched over to the remix.

22. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Fair enough, it’s all subjective anyhow. Glad you’re enjoying it.

hiterss likes this.
  23. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Pepper
    White album
    Abbey road

Paul_T, DPC and Lewisboogie like this.
  24. Agreed 100%

Lewisboogie, hiterss and Hendertuckie like this.
  25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I agree with you on this one. The clarity absolutely kills the vibes present in the original. It’s funny how in the liner notes they discuss how they recorded it in the pool house instead of a studio because they wanted it to sound like a bunch of guys sitting in a circle playing music together. And now, it sounds like a studio recording, with everything in its booth and crystal clearly separated. Really disappointed, although I do like the outtakes a lot (especially the stripped down Rocking Chair—chills!!!)

Joker to the thief likes this.