The Robin Trower Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "Caravan To Midnight" is classic late 70's Robin Trower and has a overall cohesiveness that IMO was lacking on In City Dreams.
    Another late night affair mostly mid to down tempo material that works very well with this particular venture.

My Love - a straight ahead mid tempo rocker with some searing leads
    Caravan To Midnight - an overnight trip through an immense desert on the backs of camels comes to mind, great instrumental track!
    I'm Out To Get You - one of the best examples, so far, of the funky r&b groove Trower style
    Lost In Love - mellow psych rock with more than a hint of late 60's Cream
    Fool - a nice deep groove mid-tempo track
    It's For You - too MOR for me, my least favorite track on the release
    Birthday Boy - strange yet very cool psych pop this is, Dewar's vocals sound to me like a cross between Arthur Lee and early Jack Bruce!
    King Of The Dance - Propulsive steady up-tempo groove with some great wah breaks
    Sail On - gorgeous, ethereal and essential slow-mid tempo with a simple and effective guitar line that sticks in my head for hours after...

Very good late 70's Robin Trower release! :thumbsup:

2. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

I love the first three tracks on this album. The multiple guitar riffs after the slow intro on "I'm Out To Get You" really does it for me and I actually like James Dewar's vocals, especially his pronunciation of the word "good" - really Scottish!

3. boneywhitefoot

boneywhitefoot Member

my first purchace and still one of my favs.
    into money rocks

4. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I like this album (Not surprisingly, I like most of his albums.)

It's been a while since I've heard it all, so I'll just comment on the standouts for me, which are "Into Money", and "It's Too Late". "Into Money" is a real driving rocker that sets the mood for the album. It's kinda weird at first hearing Jack Bruce's voice against Trower's guitar, but it grows on you. (I much prefer Dewar's singing voice to Bruce's.)

"It's Too Late", is another gem for me. Slow and memorably melodic. The playing is great, and the vocals are very well done.

Incidentally, I originally bought this album as a pre-recorded cassette as I couldn't find the vinyl. The WORST cassette I've ever heard. Sounded like a recording of tape hiss with music in the background. I used to use this tape as exhibit A of why I'd laugh at the record company's crusade against home taping at the time. I could produce better results than that with just my cheap stereo!

5. boneywhitefoot

boneywhitefoot Member

I thought that Victims was a real raunchy album .
    I havnt listen to it in years Ill have to buy it again.
    the song with Jack and Jill was my fav.I was pretty whacked out in those years didnt care much for the names of the songs just the music counted:wave:

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Victims Of The Fury - 1980

1. Jack and Jill
    2. Roads to Freedom
    3. Victims of the Fury
    4. Ring
    5. Only Time
    6. Into the Flame
    7. Shout
    8. Madhouse
    9. Ready for the Taking
    10. Fly Low

I didn't like this album at first, but it really grew on me. Lots of good stuff here!

The album kicks of the the first single "Jack And Jill". It sort of reintroduces Trower's guitar into the mix, a welcome change from the last two or three albums. To bad Dewar's lyrics leave a lot to be desired.

"Roads To Freedom" is another favorite.

"Into The Flame" is another return to the glory days of Trower. It's a slow, bluesy that would be right at home in a juke joint.

""Fly Low" is another one of my favorite tracks. It's mellow, but not too mellow. Is shows off Dewar's more gentle side.

I have seen versions of this album with a rearranged track listing. I'm not sure which is the correct one, since I have an 80s reissue LP.

Attached Files:

7. His last great heavy album. Definitely reinvigorated by punk and NWOBHM. Very tasteful, fierce, heavy and hopeful.

8. Grant

Well, since there hasn't been any more responses for Victims, i'll repost this one in sequence:

Attached Files:

9. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

THE SHOUT just rocked and was one of the songs that was MIA in that lame rearranged version of VOTF you talk about! - even better live!

10. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I wanted to chime in on a track in Robin's cannon that is maybe one of my favorite songs and performances of all time. "Daydream" from Robin's Live album, which I cant find any discussion on in the previous pages....

but anyway I wanted to add my two cents. This ballad and this live rendition of this ballad blows my mind....the biscuit version doesnt hold a candle, this is one special performance and the Too Rolling Stoned on this live album ain't no slouch either....

11. Grant

Really! So, there was something removed from the version I have?

12. 'the Shout' is missing from BGO 2fer

13. Grant

I checked. It's on the vinyl reissue I have.

14. BGO did a 2fer 'Caravan/Victims' on vinyl? I thought it was just CD.

15. Grant

No. I'm talking about the Chrysalis vinyl reissues from the early 80s. Almost all of my Trower albums are on vinyl.

16. Wouldn't an 80's pressing of 'Victims' just be the initial pressing?

I remember these being cut out in their original pressings.

17. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I missed this one!

I like this one MUCH better than In City Dreams, Caravan To Midnight, or either of the Trower/Bruce albums. It's a much more rockin' return to form, with a little more angry attitude then his previous albums.

Jack And Jill: Hearing this made the decision to buy the album for me, within about 10 seconds. (I'm a sucker for screaming guitar intros!)
    Roads To Freedom: I like this song a lot. Laid-back feel, but serious at the same time. I've found some videos on YouTube of him doing this song recently. Glad to see he's pulling this out of the vault and giving it the exposure it deserves.
    Victims Of The Fury: Another hypnotic Uni-Vibe showcase, in the vein of I Can't Wait Much Longer, or Bridge Of Sighs, or It's Only Money. I love those kind of songs he does.
    The Ring: Another Wah-based driving rocker. Very cool.
    Only Time: I love the throbbing Uni-Vibe on this track. Makes me wonder why people associate the Uni-Vibe with Hendrix, when Trower did it so much better.
    Into The Flame: Slow, mean blues. I agree, a return to his glory days.
    The Shout: Nice driving rockin' tune. This could have been a single, maybe along with "Madhouse".
    Madhouse: See above.
    Ready For The Taking: Kinda sounds to me like it could have fit in on "Caravan To Midnight".
    Fly Low: Even more so than "Ready for The Taking", has a real "Caravan To Midnight" feel.

18. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

:righton: +1000!

That's the DEFINITIVE version of Daydream of all time for me. It's absolute perfection, just magical. The version on "BBC Live" comes close, but the King Biscuit doesn't hold a candle. He rushes through the into like he's in some big hurry to get it over with and it ruins the mood.

19. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

How can you tell a Chrysalis vinyl reissue from the original? Label design?

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The earlier Chrysalis labels were lime green colored. Later ones were a combination of white and blue.

21. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

But would you really call that a "reissue"? It's just a continuation of the original release, just with a different label, isn't it?

22. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I'm not sure what the exact definiton is. Sometimes it's just a label change, other times it's a different pressing with different mastering. Some times the packaging is changed like gatefold sleeves are reduced to regular sleeves. It depends. Usually the songs are the same. It sounds like they repackaged two separate albums as a double album in Grant's case above.

23. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

Bridge of SIghs question:

I have a CD version of the studio album with live radio bonus tracks. All of the radio track are in a different key from the studio tracks (one step down). Anyone know what the 'correct' key is?

24. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Robin frequently tuned 1 step down live, so the "Correct" key depends on your point of view.

His "Live" album, the BBC live and King Biscuit are all tuned 1/2 step down. These days, he tunes 1 whole step down. So now for example, Bridge Of Sighs is in D instead of E.

25. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I've not heard the BBC live version, will have to check that out.

thanks for responding to my comment. I was beginning to feel ignored...:sigh: Granted, my appearance is just a drive by...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.