The RoboCop 2 Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeline Man, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples Thread Starter

Such a terrific sequel.

The action sequences were thrilling, marvellous and well-directed. The stakes were higher, the production was on a grand-scale. The final battle was very climatic. Granted, it wasn't a masterpiece like the first movie but, hey, you cannot top that. You cannot top RoboCop 1987 anyway.

The criticism behind RoboCop being RoboCop and not "Alex Murphy" is beyond me. RoboCop is not Alex Murphy. He's a cyborg who uses half a brain of Alex Murphy and who convinces himself to be "Alex Murphy", exactly like Swamp Thing convinces himself to be Alec Holland, but he isn't. Fact is, RoboCop is not Alex Murphy, so I'm glad that he gave up "acting" like Alex Murphy at the beginning of the movie. STILL, despite this, RoboCop manages to be human throughout the movie. He also attempts suicide in order to save himself, and that's meaningful.

Peter Weller was great.

Just a brilliant sequel, and it was a commercial hit all around the world.

2. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Well, I haven't watched it since it was released. I loved the original RoboCop, it is among my Top-10 movies, but I thought that RoboCop 2 was a grim disappointment. But it was so long ago that I would be open to give it another view.

I do remember that the gore factor was driven higher, which I wouldn't have previously thought possible. If I see it streaming, I'll give it another go.

Frozensoda, Dan C and Timeline Man like this.
  3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I liked it all - even the TV series :hide:

Of course, the original film is the real treasure.

4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

You know what bothered me the most about Robocop 2? It didn’t have opening credits. I really hate that. At least flash the title for a few seconds. Anyway, 2 is better than 3 which reportedly was the original script for 2. So the director was smart getting rewrites as they filmed.

hi_watt and Timeline Man like this.
  5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

It's a good movie that I think has aged pretty well. The fact that there's no real redemption in the end leaves things kind of grim, and builds on the dystopic vision of the first one.

Timeline Man likes this.
  6. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I have a general fondness for tossed-off sequels that hit the right fun/trash buttons knowing that the original can't be matched. Robocop II adds some nice comedy which is almost essential for these. The Fly II from around the same time (sequel to Cronenberg, not the Vincent Price original) is another good one. There is probably an endless list of failures in this category, but I don't dwell on those.

7. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

That TV series is the overlooked gem of the RoboCop universe. I wish it had lasted longer. To me, it was more enjoyable than the sequel films.

Walt, Chrome_Head and hi_watt like this.
  8. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Unrated/director's cut RoboCop is gorier.

The Hud and Timeline Man like this.
  9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It's not on the same level as the original, but it's still a fun movie. Somewhat ironic that 10 years earlier, Irvin Kershner had directed one of the greatest sequels of all time (The Empire Strikes Back).

I remember watching Robocop 2 frequently when I was a kid, but my copy was taped off the TV, so it was edited to pieces. To this day, when I watch the full unedited DVD, it almost feels like I'm watching an extended director's cut! :p

gitters, Walt, Chrome_Head and 4 others like this.
  10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I'm guessing you are referring to Prime Directives (2001 miniseries, 4 feature length episodes) as opposed to the 1994 TV series (one season)?

Timeline Man likes this.
  11. Timeline Man

Absolutely true, word by word.

Bobby Buckshot and hi_watt like this.
  12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The unrated director's cut is the only way to watch the original.

RoboCop 2 is not as good as the first, but still worth watching. The Collector's Edition Blu-Ray by Shout Factory is a great disc with great picture, sound and extras.

Jerk The Handle and Timeline Man like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love them equally...Weller was perfect for the role.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this scene still freaks me out!

Timeline Man, Juan Matus and hi_watt like this.
  15. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Saw Robocop 2 during its opening week when I was 12; loved it both then and now. Tom Noonan as Caine was a good villain who held his own in comparison to Kurtwood Smith's Clarence Boddicker. The stop motion animation is fun, especially with the climactic battle. Which reminds me, I need to buy the Blu Ray...

16. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

"Jesus had days like this!"

There's no opening credits to Robocop either, so Robocop 2 just follows suit.

I have a workprint in mono, which is all scored with Poledouris original music from the first.

It's 200% better that way.

enro99, hi_watt and Timeline Man like this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Totally creepy too as The Tooth Fairy in ' Manhunter'.

18. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Thank you! I have been saying for years and years here in the UK that Robocop 2 is a masterpiece and I am yet to find a single person who agrees.

Irvin Kershner (of Empire Strikes Back fame) last film. I adore it. Brilliantly conceived and executed.

ArpMoog, Timeline Man and hi_watt like this.
  19. Timeline Man

As far as sequels go, yes, it's a masterpiece. Not superior to the first one, but great in its own way.
    And it was a commercial hit anyway.

hi_watt likes this.
  20. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

The teaser with Poledouris music:

hi_watt likes this.
  21. shug4476

Not sure I agree - I may actually prefer the sequel. It's a close call.

Timeline Man likes this.
  22. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

The politically correct directives in Robocop 2 wouldn't look out of place in 2021 :D

Karnak, Glaeken, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  23. shug4476

Nor the trumpian politics, the bankrupt cities, the attempts by private capital to seize control of state services, the state cutting deals with criminals to try and keep itself viable. All incredibly prophetic.

24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I wish they would make directors cut...
    This is bar higher in gore than first one the guy getting shot in the eye ouch..

hi_watt likes this.
  25. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

The simple idea of a kid having a gun and using it to kill offended many people back in the days.

Lenny99 and Timeline Man like this.