The Rockford Files - what a great show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tomhayes, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Kirk76

Kirk76 Forum Resident

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Thank you. Normally would be great news but caveat is that Mill Creek is releasing this. They have been known to overcompress to put more episodes on a single disc and don't include SDH. However if these don't bother a particular consumer this is a good deal for a great series. The reports I've read on the streaming HD versions say it is a big upgrade over the DVDs. I'm surprised Universal would license this out. It's one of their classic series and they've a good job with Columbo, etc. complete series sets.

halfjapanese and eddiel like this.
  3. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Didn't see your post till now. I had a look at the video in the link and does seem to run fast. I'm not at home right now so I can't check it against my copy but will do when I'm back.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah it definitely runs faster, at least the bit with the theme song. That's the section of that clip that I compared. I didn't compare any of the other scenes. It's rather noticeable during the opening though. I'd say that bit runs a lot faster rather than a little bit.

I was going to say that it might be just in the clip, as they might have wanted to cram a lot it in, but it sounds like you actually have the DVD and if it runs fast on that, then that would be a disappointment.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Blu rays announced.

artfromtex likes this.
  7. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Yikes! I just watched that clip on the Australian site. Definitely way too fast. It's most obvious when the music kicks in, but I also destroys teh natural rhythm of the actors. I really hope that the BluRay discs aren't mastered this way....

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm hoping the same thing. I'd be gutted if the blu ray version ran too fast.

9. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

Just tossing in my 2 cents cause I stumbled on this thread. One of my fave series ever. I was in college when it first ran so only saw it sporadically. But in the late 70s early 80s when it hit syndication myself and a couple housemates tuned in daily. It was a ritual. I've been occasionally watching it on Netflix almost thru season one.
    I had a job in '79 where I flew every week to a different city and needed a rental car. There was a lot of driving. And I always got a Firebird.

10. Kirk76

Kirk76 Forum Resident

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Didn't think I'd upgrade, now I definitely know it.

12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Wow the picture looks great in that clip but agreed it seems fast...let's hope it's just a speed issue with the clip.

13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It's really disappointing to not have the movies but that picture is pretty sweet looking.

eddiel and Myke like this.
  14. artfromtex

Amazon price down to $79.99. Was $129.99.

Can't wait!

Edit:
    Now it is down to $70.77. I went ahead and pre-order it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  15. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I bought the 1st 5 seasons on DVD a few years ago - like around 2010 or so, and the first disc is defective. I never went to the trouble to replace it. I am looking forward to this blu ray release. At $70 it is a gift practically.

artfromtex likes this.
  16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Remember Pizza Dan?

[​IMG]

17. artfromtex

I love Rockford's car, but my favorite vehicle was his daddy's truck:
    [​IMG]

Ko-Ko Joe and jeffrey walsh like this.
  18. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

That Firebird was pretty cool. I think the models for both the car and truck changed over time.

19. artfromtex

The car changed every year except for the final season when Garner didn't like the new design. Sometimes they would use "b-roll" that showed a Firebird with a different body style than the one in the current episode

seacliffe301 likes this.
  20. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

21. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I read a general statement that the pilot episode has recently been edited in some recent incarnation of this series. Anyone know anything of this? I know the pilot had Rockford saying a line containing the "Q" word. Is that now edited out for PC reasons? Or the stripper scene maybe?

22. dance_hall_keeper

One of television's most famous plates:
    [​IMG]
    California license 853-OKG.

23. artfromtex

When it was on Netflix that line was unchanged.

Thomas D likes this.
  24. dance_hall_keeper

In case this is a question others have, thanks to the reply to an email I sent to Mill Creek Entertainment (I don't own the set but I'd read about it), I'm able to supply this:
    Q: In the previously released The Complete 34-disc DVD box set, the series’ pilot episode ("Backlash of the Hunter” )was included in the Second Season disc. Will that be the same for this new Blu-Ray release?
    A: This pilot episode will be the first program found on the first season.
    With that...I'm in!

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    artfromtex likes this.
  25. Capt. Cadillac

Capt. Cadillac Forum Resident

I'm curious to read reviews on this Blu-ray set. I detected a noticeable (not terrible, but noticeable) drop in picture quality between seasons five and six in the old DVD sets. It was like six came from a higher-generation source. That infamous Universal vault fire took place between the release dates for five and six...:sigh: