The Rockford Files - what a great show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tomhayes, Oct 7, 2006.

1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

If anyone ever watched the Rockford Files on Netflix you would have noticed consistent excellence in picture quality. Far better than any DVD version. If this set is as good as what I saw on Netflix it will be a winner. If it is better then that is just gravy.

Capt. Cadillac likes this.
  2. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I agree, the show looked great when it was on Netflix. Better than the DVDs and better than on Hulu.

3. artfromtex

Now down to $56 on Amazon pre-order.

Three weeks to go!

4. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

On Amazon dot c eh it's been going up and down at least since the weekend, with an initial MSRP of $177.20: $121.79, $104.57, $100.84, $121.74 and currently $100.64.

eddiel likes this.
  5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Thanks....can't pass it up at this price. Ordered.

6. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I "garnered" (see what I did there?) this Q&A from YouTube, with the A from Mill Creek Entertainment themselves:
    A: Will this be fullscreen or widescreen? The original Universal releases were fullscreen. The remastered ones by Madman were widescreen. There is no information about the aspect ratio on Mill Creek's website. so, anyone know this information?
    A: The Blu-ray presentation will be in the show's original full-screen aspect ratio!

eddiel and noname74 like this.
  7. artfromtex

Review is up at Blu Ray dot com.

The Rockford Files: The Complete Series Blu-ray

They didn't give it the greatest review, but look at the screenshots they posted. Looks fantastic to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pre-orders are supposed to go out from Amazon today. I hope I get mine early. I am very excited about this release. One of my all-time favorite shows.

Spadeygrove and eddiel like this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mediocre. Since 2009, their reviews have worked for me, and today tells me my DVDs ( inc. the movies) are good enough.
    Everything doesn't have to be on Blu ray.

andybeau likes this.
  9. artfromtex

I never had it on DVD since it was on Netflix. I almost bought the DVD set after Netflix yanked it, but paused on it because I heard it looked bad. Then the news of this BR set came down.

Benno123 likes this.
  10. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

The BR set is great for those who want it, and the dvds are out there for those who don't want the BR. I love James Garner so at some point I'll spring for the BR when it is at a good price or I am ready to pull the trigger and buy. Loved watching it on Netflix, I almost bought the DVD set myself but when I heard bluray I decided to wait.

11. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

$50ish is a pretty good price for the whole series.

Benno123 likes this.
  12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member Thread Starter

13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Solaris likes this.
  14. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Just started watching the new Blu Ray set and am knocked out by the picture quality. It seems even better than what was on Netflix. I am pleased it has a "resume" feature. Unfortunately no special features or subtitles (I don't usually use subtitles but like to have them available). It starts out with the Pilot (unlike the DVDs which had the pilot as a special feature for the 2nd season). I don't like that they divide the pilot into two parts, with part 1 ending right after Jim knocks out the Jerry Grimes character in the bathroom. That whole scene should flow without interruption.

Apparently the DVDs had cut out a lot of stuff in the Pilot, but it's in here. That nightclub scene begins at around 33:30 in the DVD and at 43:30 in this Blu Ray, so it seems it added a lot back in. In the nightclub scene in addition to the female gymnast, after her there is a scene of dancing dogs - this was not in the DVDs. One more thing I don't like is that Ch. 2 does not start right after the Rockford theme, at the very beginning of the action -- ch. 1 starts at around 21:00. Not as convenient as the DVDs, where you could skip the introductory stuff and go right to the beginning of the show.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  15. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Angel .... you know, if the show would have used a husband with an accent, maybe Latin American, and the wife was star struck and instead an American it may just work. Through in an older couple for neighbors and ... nah, it will never work or last ...

fr in sc likes this.
  16. artfromtex

I am impressed too. I would say that it is a tad bit better than what I saw on Netflix.

17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I pre-ordered this on Amazon.ca and annoyingly they haven't shipped it. It ships in 1-3 months. I knew I should've pre-ordered on .com. Price would've been a bit cheaper as well. Now the .com price has gone up. Crappy .ca I really don't know why I keep putting my trust in them.

18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yesterday I received an email from Amazon.ca stating that the delivery date was unknown. Today, I got another email stating delivery date was between August 1st - 31st.

Often their delivery estimates are wrong and arrive much earlier than stated. (That's what I'm hoping, anyways.)

eddiel likes this.
  19. Well that depends on how you are watching the show. Sure not everything needs to be clear n Blu-ray but given that this was given a high def transfer, why not? It looks better in motivation n than the screen grabs and actually looks fairly good. It's not perfect (a little too much DNR in places) but detail has been remarkably improved.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Because not all of us care to spend the rest of our lives constantly "upgrading" over, and over, and over again. At some point, a person has to grow up, and reevaluate their priorities. A 45 year-old TV show on bright, shiny discs, bought more than once couldn't be more unnecessary in the life of a retired grandfather.
    That's why.

GLENN, andybeau and Spadeygrove like this.
  21. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Wee do de do, de de de de, wee do de do do, daa daa daaa daaaa.:cool:

longdist01 and artfromtex like this.
  22. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

One thing to remember, if you are going to be a good guy, ya have to have a cool set of wheels.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

King of the J turn

Carl LaFong and Johnny Rocker like this.
  24. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Nifty theme song too...

[​IMG]

25. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

:righton:

I recently used it as the ringtone on my iPhone for a few months, but I eventually got tired of getting blasted into full alert mode by that high-energy four-note intro, and switched to something a little more laid-back - the Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray". :whistle: