The ' Rocky ' Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I loved them as a teenager but now I think they are mediocre films.

2. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I love Rocky and Creed; and like Rocky III; Rocky Balboa; and Creed II.

3. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Ali was using a metaphor.

4. The original Rocky is a stone cold classic. They get worse from there. But I still enjoy every film in the series through Rocky Balboa, which I thought was an excellent end to the series, and IMO the 2nd best of all the Rocky films. Rocky V doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned though lol. It's the truly awful film of the series.

5. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

1, 3, Rocky Balboa and Creed 1 are solid.

The first Rocky was an Oscar winning drama. After that Sly didn’t want to be an actor, but a movie star. So he remade it into a formulaic franchise. Good for the bank account, but we only got slivers of the spirit of the first Rocky in Rocky Balboa and the first Creed (the 2nd Creed was such a dissapointment).

Stallone recently recut Part 4. Haven’t seen it.

6. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Athletes tend to make poor film critics. Unlike Ebert, who actually worked as a screenwriter.

Ali is the Paulie of film critics.

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  7. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Ali was making a very intelligent, insightful comment on why the movies were successful. If you don't understand that... I don't know what to tell you.

JPagan likes this.
  8. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Of course Ali tried to make a fictional movie that had nothing to with him seem like it had something to do with him. That's what people with inflated egos do. Somehow he overlooked that there were boxers before him, even one named Rocky.

LarryP likes this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I is classic. Fantastic underdog movie making about an underdog fighter.
    II is too much a give-the-people-what-they-want sequel, but it's not bad. Just too predictable.
    III seems a bit cartoonish now, since Mr T and Hulk Hogan went on to be larger than life cartoons. But it's a good story, and it didn't feel cartoonish when it came out--although it loses the feel of I and II.
    IV: OK, now the wheels start to come off. Silliness. The whole thing feels cartoonish. Not unwatchable, but not very good.
    V: A better film than IV, but not the right tone for Rocky. Doesn't feel like a Rocky film.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    squittolo and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  10. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Rocky V seemed like a parody. Human characters were replaced by superficial caricatures. The biggest offender being Don King parody guy. Seemed like one big joke. The subplot featuring Sage Stallone was hokey. Definitely the worst film in the series

squittolo likes this.
  11. A-Tone

A-Tone camera shy

12. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Maybe its because I worked at a movie theater when it came out but I've always had high regard for Rocky IV. Beneath the glitz and patriotism its a pretty multi-layered story. Much of the Rocky story comes full circle here. It's the most ambitious of the Rocky films.

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I thought Rocky II had some great moments, like this one:

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

And this one:

By the way, who knew Burt Young was a boxer?

[​IMG]

squittolo, Michael, shug4476 and 4 others like this.
  15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I like the Creed movies also.

905 and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  16. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

Love Rocky I

After that would have to go with Cinderella Man with Russell Crow. Great movie.

905 and aorecords like this.
  17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Does anyone have an Ivan Drago in their life? It can be an in-law, employer, sibling, etc. ?

[​IMG]

18. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I love the franchise and enjoyed every film, although Rocky V is probably the weakest.

Creed and Rocky are both outstanding and Stallone more than deserved his Oscar nomination for both. Creed genuinely surprised me as I assumed, before watching it, that the franchise and the character were both well past it.

Rocky III is worth it for the Hulk Hogan scenes alone.

905 and ZackyDog like this.
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Does anyone have an Ivan Drago in their life? It can be an in-law, employer, sibling, etc. ?

[​IMG]

20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

That scene (that I clipped from the quote) has what might be my favorite line from the entire Rocky series, from Duke to Apollo:

"I saw you beat that man, like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man...kept...coming after you."

21. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

The Rocky series is one of my all-time favorites...1-4 anyways, 5 was pushing it.

22. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

The same goes for me! The entire cast is stellar & that includes the city of Philadelphia!

905 and Michael like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you got it my friend! exactly. : )

905 likes this.
  24. This thread is so amazing and send me to in my past ..

905 and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  25. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

"In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!"

S. P. Honeybunch and ZackyDog like this.